Where to incorporate a simple online business?

chart9
2 0 0

I own a one person (+ my wife) online business - we own websites (don't sell anything there). We are not incorporated and don't have an office. My wife works from home in NYC and I moved to Ukraine trying to build company there. Should we incorporate in Delaware or Florida to save on NY and NYC state, local and unincorporated business taxes?

Our websites get visitors from all of the U.S. and other countries - it's not a New York specific business at all.

How would you deal with this issue?

0 Likes
Eli_Cymet1
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
68 0 9

Hey there!

Eli here from the Shopify guru team; this is definitely a head scratcher of a question, and it's with full disclosure that I say that the support team isn't able to give official legal advice, and that you want to always consult a local legal professional versed in rules of incorporation. 

With that said, there are quite a few online resources available which can help verse you in an understanding of places that have incorporation benefits. In a cursory search, I came across this interesting article: http://topnettools.com/8273/top-countries-to-incorporate-internet-business/

With that said, I will again defer to my above comment: check local legal resources to ensure you're getting the iron-clad answer in this case!

Cheers, 

0 Likes
chart9
2 0 0

Hey Eli!

Thank you a lot for your efforts! The thing is that I asked this question and did not get a clear answer on other forums including the one with top lawyers. My guess is that when I'll come to a professional office he or she will not know more than forum communities, which are usually extremely helpful on all issues.

-Arthur

0 Likes