Draft Orders API

Dominique_Simon
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
11 0 9

Hi everyone,

The Draft Orders API is now available to all merchants and partners for Beta use. This API is designed to help apps read, create, update and send invoices for orders on which shipping, taxes and all total amounts are calculated by Shopify.

This API enables a wide range of use cases including the following:
- Create new orders for sales made by phone, in person, via chat, or by other means. Credit card payments for these orders can subsequently be entered in the Shopify admin.
- Re-create mistaken orders.
- Send invoices to customers to pay with a secure checkout link.
- Use custom items to represent additional costs or products that aren't displayed in a shop's inventory.
- Sell products at discount or wholesale rates.

We wanted to give all our developers access as soon as possible, which is why we’re opening up the beta version to everyone. Being in beta, the API is subject to change, but by being able to access now you’ll have time to start familiarizing yourself with this API and getting started in building. 

You can find documentation for the new Draft Orders API here: https://help.shopify.com/api/draft-orders

Need Help? - Check out the Shopify API forum. We'll be monitoring to help with questions as people get started.

Want to provide feedback? Post in the forums or use this form.

Replies 12 (12)
Ben_Rachbach
3 0 0

Hi Dominique,

This is coming at a great time for us -- we're currently working on a project to allow our institutional customers to create quotes and then convert them to purchase orders, and it seems like draft orders would be perfect for the job!

However, given that this will be a customer-facing project for us, I'm wondering how stable you expect the draft order API to be. Specifically:

• do you see changes on the horizon, or do you think the API is basically complete and stable?
  • if you do make breaking changes:
    • will you announce them ahead of time?
    • will you leave the old version of the API up and available for use?
  • would you advise against using the API in customer-facing projects at this time?
  • when do you expect the API to move out of beta and be finalized?

I'd really appreciate an answer ASAP, because I'm working on this project right now, and I'm pausing until I can determine whether draft orders are the right fit.

Thanks!

Leumas_Digital
5 0 0

Hi Dominique, 

Love the draft orders API addition, very useful! I'm using it straight away.. 

You may want to mention in the documentation that you need to add another 'Scope' to your permissions list... 

I'm using 

write_draft_orders, read_draft_orders

which gives me 'Modify draft orders' permissions

Oliver6
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Great stuff. When is this likely to be out of Beta? Where can I subscribe to draft order api updates to ensure that I can add hot-fixes if needed?

Jamie_D_
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
533 1 108

Hey Oliver,

Any updates will be posted here in the API Announcements forum. I suggest subscribing to this forum in order to receive updates by e-mail when there is a new post.

Cheers!

Jamie | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Dominique_Simo1
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
41 0 11

The Draft Orders API has officially launched and is moving out of Beta! 

For details, see the announcement.

Victor_Tanisaka
1 0 0

I don't understand how to download this.  Can anyone give this laymen instructions on how to do this? This is really really needed for our company.

George_Ananda
Shopify Partner
14 0 0

Hi, I've been having trouble creating draft orders via POST request ever since the API was updated to not receive cookies in post requests anymore.

When executing a Postman POST request to admin/draft_orders.json (I'm using the Postman request provided at Shopify's own draft_orders docs!) it returns a 200 status but the body is a HTML page asking me to login instead of a 201 'created' with the created order JSON in the body. Interestingly, a status 200 is not listed in the possible outcomes of the request according to the API docs.

a GET request works fine, I have also double checked my API permissions to allow read write access to draft orders.

I've inquired about this in several threads here and here but has not received any response in a week.

It's been pointed out that I should remove any cookies from the request, but I seem to be lost as to how to exactly do that as I'm not explicitly putting any cookies in my request. And again, the request straight from the API docs doesn't work.

Dominique_Simo1
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
41 0 11

Hi George,

Postman stores cookies. There's a small button on the top right named 'Cookies'. If you click on it, it will show you all of its cookies and you can remove them. 

Dominique

George_Ananda
Shopify Partner
14 0 0

Hi Dominique,

Thanks for chiming in. Unfortunately i do not see any cookie buttons on my Postman app (Mac). I'm on Version 4.10.7 OS X Chrome 57. (image attached)

It should also be noted that I tried requesting from the app i'm building. I tried using es6 fetch() and Axios both to no avail

George_Ananda
Shopify Partner
14 0 0

Please disregard my previous post, I was confusing between the chrome and mac app.

@Dominique I have been talking to a Postman dev at their community slack channel and he helped me confirm I wasnt sending any cookies through postman as shown on my request headers in the Postman log (attached)

below is an excerpt of my chat :

siddhant [3:07 PM] 
In the Console, do you see a Cookies header in the Request headers section? (edited)

georgeananda [3:07 PM] 
[image as attached below]

georgeananda [3:08 PM] 
no i dont

georgeananda [3:08 PM] 
that's all there is

siddhant [3:08 PM] 
Awesome, so that means that you're not sending any cookies

[3:08] 
What's happening is that the server's response is setting those cookies

siddhant [3:10 PM] 
Hmm, I haven't worked with Shopify, but there are resources online that will help you understand cookies

georgeananda [3:10 PM] 
>Hi George,
>Postman stores cookies. There's a small button on the top right named 'Cookies'. >If you click on it, it will show you all of its cookies and you can remove them.
>Dominique

[3:10] 
That's their response

[3:10] 
hence why I reached out here :grimacing:

siddhant [3:10 PM] 
Yep, so you've already done that (your screenshot shows that)

georgeananda [3:11 PM] 
Ok thanks for confirming this

[3:11] 
I will bring it up again to them

[3:11] 
If you dont mind i'll reference this chat

siddhant [3:11 PM] 
Sure, if you want, you can send the screenshot with the request headers to them to show them that no cookies  are being sent

Muthu_Somasund1
Shopify Partner
37 0 5

Hi,

Is it possible to have search.json endpoint on draft orders or search by tag?

Regards

Muthu

Akki
Shopify Partner
17 0 4

Hi Guys,

There seems to be a bug in case of sorting order_by in Draft order APIs.

I have tried to access the order API with the following URL and it is working perfectly:

https://cueblocks-2.myshopify.com/admin/orders.json?limit=10&fields=name,status&order=created_at%20d...

But when I try to access with the same parameters with the draft order API, it only shows the result in ascending order.

https://cueblocks-2.myshopify.com/admin/draft_orders.json?limit=10&fields=name,status&order=created_...

Does anyone face the same issue with Draft Order API?