Issue with App Review for OAuth Flow and Shop URL Requirement.

Issue with App Review for OAuth Flow and Shop URL Requirement.

DhiZ
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hello Shopify Community,

I hope this message finds you all well. I am new to Shopify and currently working on my first app using python  for the platform, which is not exclusively for Shopify. In the app review process, I encountered a challenge flagged by the Shopify App Review team, and I'm seeking guidance from the community to resolve it.

Issue Summary: During the review, the Shopify App Review team pointed out that my app must not request manual entry of the myshopify.com URL or the shop's domain or shop's name during the installation or configuration flow.

Context: Since my app is not yet listed on the Shopify App Store, I don't have a specific shopify app stores's app URL (e.g., https://apps.shopify.com/myapp) to redirect users during the installation process where they can click on Install button to initiate installation and OAuth process. As a workaround, we are currently asking users for their shop URL to authenticate and facilitate the installation on their store.

Question and Request for Help: I'm facing a roadblock in understanding how to proceed with the OAuth flow without requesting the shop URL. Is there a way to obtain the necessary approval without this requirement? I have explored the documentation, but the flow remains unclear to me, especially concerning OAuth, where a shop URL / shop name is required.

I came across an example app built using Django, but it also requests the shop URL. I'm reaching out to the community in the hope that someone can provide insights, suggestions, or guidance on navigating this issue.

I am currently stuck at this point and would greatly appreciate any assistance or advice from experienced developers who may have encountered a similar situation.

Can anyone help shed light on this issue and provide guidance on how to address the Shopify App Review team's concern without requesting the shop URL during the installation process?

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Reply 1 (1)

Liam
Shopify Staff
2873 312 818

Hi DhiZ,

Is the issue here that you need something to replace the https://apps.shopify.com/myapp url or you need to be able to receive the stores URL? You should be receiving the stores' URL at the beginning of the flow - when the merchant requests to install the app. Then you would initialise the oAuth request, and pass the shop domain, and continue with the rest of the authentication and installation. 

Liam | Developer Advocate @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog