Solved

403 Forbidden Access error - Rest API resource with Protected Customer Data Access in Dev Store

asamlaksa
Shopify Partner
6 1 2

Hello, 

I am getting this error

{"errors":"[API] This app is not approved to access REST endpoints with protected customer data. See https:\/\/partners.shopify.com\/<redacted>\/apps\/<redacted>\/customer_data for more details."}%

when making a call to Rest API

curl -X GET "<redacted_store>/admin/api/2023-07/orders.json?status=any" \
-H "X-Shopify-Access-Token: <redacted>" 

with my store's development token.

I have already filled up Step 1 of the Protected Customer Data request and my app is only installed on a development store. I have tried reinstalling the app multiple times, but I'm still having this issue.

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 7.44.51 AM.png

 For context, my app is a Checkout UI extension application.

Has anyone encountered this issue and if so, how did you solve it?

Thanks

Accepted Solution (1)
asamlaksa
Shopify Partner
6 1 2

This is an accepted solution.

I have managed solve this with your help and Partner support.

Apparently there was some configuration issue with my app

- I did not set a distribution. However upon setting it up, I still had an issue with the app so I had to delete it and reset again, and its now working

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)
asamlaksa
Shopify Partner
6 1 2

Thanks! Are you saying that I need to complete Step 2 as well and submit the request in order to have API access on a development store?

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 8.10.08 AM.png

That is different from what the docs says here though:

To request access:

1. From the Partner Dashboard, go to Apps, and then select your app.

2. In the sidebar, click API access.

3. Find Protected customer data access and click Request access.

4. Select Protected customer data, provide your reasons for using it, and click Save.

5. If your app needs access to protected customer fields, then select the relevant fields, provide your reasons for using them, and click Save.

6. Complete your Data protection details, making sure that your app meets the protected customer data requirements.

7. Submit your app for review.

If your app is for testing or installed only on a development store, you can access customer data in development after Step 5. You don't need to submit for review.

asamlaksa
Shopify Partner
6 1 2

This is an accepted solution.

I have managed solve this with your help and Partner support.

Apparently there was some configuration issue with my app

- I did not set a distribution. However upon setting it up, I still had an issue with the app so I had to delete it and reset again, and its now working