Discount Codes

sckevil
Tourist
6 0 1

I'm trying to figure out if I put an automatic discount on products in my shop for our launch sale, BUT OFFER a different unpublished deeper discount for those who are on our mailing list - will it take the percentage off the sale or the non-sale price if they run at the same time...

EX: I sell products A, B, C, X, Y, and Z. For the sale, I'm going to offer 20% off products A-C and 10% off X-Z without a discount. I'm offering two discounts to those on our subscriber list this weekend with two separate codes that have to be entered - 30% off styles A, B and C and 15% off styles X, Y and Z. Does this example mean that if I don't turn off the discount codes, will it offer my customers 30% off of the 20% discount price? I DO have them marked to not being able to be combined. In this example, I want it to take the 30% off the original (not 20% off) price.

Bonus question: I'm wondering if I can have ONE discount code with two different percentages off for different categories (so, 30% off styles A, B and C and 15% off styles X, Y and Z). Is that possible?

Replies 5 (5)

guest4
Shopify Partner
83 6 20

You would need to market it to your customers that they'd be receiving a 30% off total discount (from normal price). You'd knock the sale price in Shopify down by 20% and then give your subscribers a discount code for an additional 12.5%. This would give them a total of 30% off the normal price.

The formula is 0.7x = (0.8x)(1-y)

In your second scenario you'd knock the sale price down by 10% and give your subscribers an additional 5.555555% discount.

The formula is 0.85x = (0.9x)(1-y)

---

Bonus answer: As far as I know there's only one discount per code, out of the box. Many apps are available to extend this functionality.

sckevil
Tourist
6 0 1
Thank you for the answer, but this will not work because the dates don’t align cleanly:

* Email subscriber sale starts on 6/1 and goes until 6/7.
* Shop sale starts on 6/3 and goes until 6/14. (Those aren’t the real dates, I’m just using them to illustrate the overlaps clearly.)
guest4
Shopify Partner
83 6 20

You're welcome. How about giving the subscribers two different discount codes? These would be sent in two separate e-mails.

One is a "pre-sale discount code" (6/1 - 6/2 for 30%/15%) and the other is a limited time offer that's exclusive to subscribers (6/3 - 6/7 for 12.5%/5.5555%).

The downside is that you send multiple emails within a few days timespan. And depending on how you're sending e-mails it may be cost prohibitive.

There's also some upside to this approach, because you get to put two different messages in front of your customers. And it creates a sense of urgency.

sckevil
Tourist
6 0 1

Appreciate the suggestion, but I think it would be confusing to a customer to get that. I already get ornery emails from people who are unhappy about me sending a welcome series email when they're added - they just want the discount. If I send them a code for 12.5% and 5.5% two days after I send the first one, I think I might have trolls coming out of the woodwork. I'm really surprised Shopify doesn't have a solution for this type of thing. Seems like basic retail stuff. Thanks again for the helpful suggestions, Guest4. I think I'll have to try to find yet another app. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

guest4
Shopify Partner
83 6 20

Cheers.