Solved

Why am I not making sales on Shopify despite high traffic?

Emig
Tourist
6 0 2

Hi there, I have been running ads for 2.5 months and only had 1 sale that was not family or friends. I have pretty good traffic, over 200-300 people a day, but no one purchases! I am not sure what else I can do or what the reason is. Can anyone give me some advice? I don't want to close the store but I will have to if I don't see any profit soon..

Feel free to check out, https://www.datsuzokudecor.com

Thanks a lot

Accepted Solutions (2)

LuckyDanny
Shopify Partner
352 67 211

This is an accepted solution.

Hey there, @Emig!  

That is an incredibly frustrating feeling. Though you’re getting traffic, is it good if no one purchases anything?

I looked at your Facebook ad, and I saw a potential issue. The ad directs them to your ALL PRODUCTS collection. This means that if they want those vases, they aren’t going to find them easily. Not many visitors are going to be interested in scrolling through 5+ pages of products. They’ll leave first.

A good way to examine this is through visitor behavior. Since you are relying on paid traffic for so long, it’s a good time to evaluate their behavior versus your organic traffic.

• Compare device type by behavior. Most specifically, look at your campaign traffic (filter by source or UTM parameter) and examine the device type. Is there a change when you filter by behavior? For example, are more people coming from mobile but those who added to their cart were on desktop?
  • Similarly, look at where in the world people are coming from. If you have a lot of international traffic, you will want to add a currency localization tool to your site. 
  • Segment your heatmaps, which show you where people click and scroll, by source or UTM parameter as well. How does this compare to organic traffic? 
  • Next, filter your session recordings in the same method. Look at the session details (i.e., how many pages were visited, how long a visitor stayed on the site, how they engaged, etc.) and also evaluate how they navigated once they landed on your store.

Since you haven’t made many sales, I would run a survey/poll asking, “What stopped you from checking out?” to see what’s happening. Based on your traffic and the fact you have a promotional wheel, I would delay the timing further in their journey - like maybe on a second visit or when their mouse moves into a different window. 

Next, we have to talk about your website as well.

My biggest question is how are people moving around your store? Session recordings can be really helpful here, especially as you look to evaluate your traffic sources and behavior. For people who do add products to their carts, how do they engage with your store differently than those who are just browsing or bounce? 

Back to your store. There are some things that are missing or that I would change: 

• Announcement bar: Link it to your products 
  • Create a more engaging heading on your hero image. Think about what will draw them into the next stage of the funnel. I would also make your CTA button color match your announcement bar color. 
  • Homepage: Use a scroll heatmap to see how far people make it on your page and a click heatmap to see what elements they’re clicking on. Optimize based on that information. I would add a list of collections under your hero image and  keep your blog in the footer. 
  • Footer: Is there any reason why you leave Contact Us and About Us in the hamburger menu? BTW, About is in there twice. A heatmap will let you evaluate the hamburger menu as well, which will let you further understand what your visitors do on your site to navigate. 
  • Contact: Add an away form (name, email address and message) to the Contact Us page. Also, be mindful of the Facebook Messenger chat. It has its benefits, but it isn’t always the best chat option. 
  • Collections: Add filters for price, collection, material, style, ratings, color, etc. Especially on your larger collections, it can be overwhelming.
  • Product pages: I would spend some time evaluating your pages. The layout is very long and somewhat clunky, but a scroll heatmap will be helpful here. Also, do you have shipping costs/calculator available somewhere? Your shipping policy is fine, but it falls short of helping someone calculate what’s going on.Also, move your reviews higher on the page. It’s so low on the page that I doubt many people are reaching it, and this is a pretty important feature on your product pages. 

Visitor behavior is really going to play a critical role in understanding why you aren’t making sales and help you make changes that result in more conversions. If you’re looking for a visitor behavior tool -  Lucky Orange has heatmaps, session recordings and more with a free trial (no credit card needed) and plans that start at US $10/month.

If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Cheers - Danny

I’m the co-founder of Lucky Orange, one of the top recommended Shopify apps to grow sales. More than 26,000+ merchants use our app and have left us more than 600 5-star reviews.

We’re also proud to be a Shopify Plus partner.

-Was my response helpful? Click Like to let me know!
-Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!

View solution in original post

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

Hi @Emig,

Hyde here from Shopify.

Congratulations on starting your store! Yes, it can take a little while to grow the trust battery with visitors to your store, which is why we have a whole dedicated forum post about growing buyer trust.

That said, you've done a fantastic job on the site itself. So my question is: what is your content funnel like? There's more on the smart marketing funnel here but you need to ask yourself about your customers' journey:

21-05-5rpvi-pip5a

And do you know who your potential clients are? You may want to create customer personas to ensure that you are targeting the right people who may be interested in your brand. We also have a great document about conversions right here.

Let me know what your thoughts are on this!

All the best, Hyde.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 7 (7)

LuckyDanny
Shopify Partner
352 67 211

Hey there, @Emig!  

That is an incredibly frustrating feeling. Though you’re getting traffic, is it good if no one purchases anything?

I looked at your Facebook ad, and I saw a potential issue. The ad directs them to your ALL PRODUCTS collection. This means that if they want those vases, they aren’t going to find them easily. Not many visitors are going to be interested in scrolling through 5+ pages of products. They’ll leave first.

A good way to examine this is through visitor behavior. Since you are relying on paid traffic for so long, it’s a good time to evaluate their behavior versus your organic traffic.

• Compare device type by behavior. Most specifically, look at your campaign traffic (filter by source or UTM parameter) and examine the device type. Is there a change when you filter by behavior? For example, are more people coming from mobile but those who added to their cart were on desktop?
  • Similarly, look at where in the world people are coming from. If you have a lot of international traffic, you will want to add a currency localization tool to your site. 
  • Segment your heatmaps, which show you where people click and scroll, by source or UTM parameter as well. How does this compare to organic traffic? 
  • Next, filter your session recordings in the same method. Look at the session details (i.e., how many pages were visited, how long a visitor stayed on the site, how they engaged, etc.) and also evaluate how they navigated once they landed on your store.

Since you haven’t made many sales, I would run a survey/poll asking, “What stopped you from checking out?” to see what’s happening. Based on your traffic and the fact you have a promotional wheel, I would delay the timing further in their journey - like maybe on a second visit or when their mouse moves into a different window. 

Next, we have to talk about your website as well.

My biggest question is how are people moving around your store? Session recordings can be really helpful here, especially as you look to evaluate your traffic sources and behavior. For people who do add products to their carts, how do they engage with your store differently than those who are just browsing or bounce? 

Back to your store. There are some things that are missing or that I would change: 

• Announcement bar: Link it to your products 
  • Create a more engaging heading on your hero image. Think about what will draw them into the next stage of the funnel. I would also make your CTA button color match your announcement bar color. 
  • Homepage: Use a scroll heatmap to see how far people make it on your page and a click heatmap to see what elements they’re clicking on. Optimize based on that information. I would add a list of collections under your hero image and  keep your blog in the footer. 
  • Footer: Is there any reason why you leave Contact Us and About Us in the hamburger menu? BTW, About is in there twice. A heatmap will let you evaluate the hamburger menu as well, which will let you further understand what your visitors do on your site to navigate. 
  • Contact: Add an away form (name, email address and message) to the Contact Us page. Also, be mindful of the Facebook Messenger chat. It has its benefits, but it isn’t always the best chat option. 
  • Collections: Add filters for price, collection, material, style, ratings, color, etc. Especially on your larger collections, it can be overwhelming.
  • Product pages: I would spend some time evaluating your pages. The layout is very long and somewhat clunky, but a scroll heatmap will be helpful here. Also, do you have shipping costs/calculator available somewhere? Your shipping policy is fine, but it falls short of helping someone calculate what’s going on.Also, move your reviews higher on the page. It’s so low on the page that I doubt many people are reaching it, and this is a pretty important feature on your product pages. 

Visitor behavior is really going to play a critical role in understanding why you aren’t making sales and help you make changes that result in more conversions. If you’re looking for a visitor behavior tool -  Lucky Orange has heatmaps, session recordings and more with a free trial (no credit card needed) and plans that start at US $10/month.

If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Cheers - Danny

I’m the co-founder of Lucky Orange, one of the top recommended Shopify apps to grow sales. More than 26,000+ merchants use our app and have left us more than 600 5-star reviews.

We’re also proud to be a Shopify Plus partner.

-Was my response helpful? Click Like to let me know!
-Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
Emig
Tourist
6 0 2

Thank you so much, much appreciated !!

Benjy990
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey, would you be willing to evaluate my store like you did the one above? Im getting somewhat the same issues. Im currently only getting about 50 visitors/day but they just scroll around a bit and then leave. Over the past 3 days only 1 person added my product to cart. Thanks!

https://glowwaveboutique.com

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

Hi @Emig,

Hyde here from Shopify.

Congratulations on starting your store! Yes, it can take a little while to grow the trust battery with visitors to your store, which is why we have a whole dedicated forum post about growing buyer trust.

That said, you've done a fantastic job on the site itself. So my question is: what is your content funnel like? There's more on the smart marketing funnel here but you need to ask yourself about your customers' journey:

21-05-5rpvi-pip5a

And do you know who your potential clients are? You may want to create customer personas to ensure that you are targeting the right people who may be interested in your brand. We also have a great document about conversions right here.

Let me know what your thoughts are on this!

All the best, Hyde.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Syed_Shuja
Shopify Partner
9 0 0

I have visited your store and i can help you out if you are interested feel free to contact me 

shujajawed@gmail.com

Jeremy_Robinso1
Pathfinder
131 0 41

@Emig  - These are beautiful products.

I'm not sure if they are original designs but there is likely a market for them. The challenge is that they are a discretionary purchase with a somewhat tactile element and you are an unknown brand. 

Building sales momentum online from zero is hard (and getting closer to impossible by the month) except in very select niches. Given your products, if you have the margins,  I would suggest you look at other channels like wholesale.  It's how we built our business and a brand reputation that delivers thousands of motivated, word-of-mouth buyers to our website. 

Here's why I view wholesale as a marketing channel

I co-run www.soyoung.ca and share my experience in building a 7 figure brand at indiebrandbuilder.com

Addyz
Pathfinder
191 4 23

Hi @Emig 

Hi, 

After review of you store, I will advise you to install some social proof apps on the store. Most of the buyers will not buy if they did not found the site authentic. For first time buyer's you have to win their trust and social proof are great way to achieve that.

Also, you have not added any push notification app pan your store.Push notifications have high conversion rate. Most of the visitors just leaves after adding product to cart without purchasing it. Push notifications are great way to remind them of their abandoned cart and nudge them to complete the purchase.

You are really missing out with this core functionality which could easily recover some lost sales for you.

There are plenty of app on appstore which are offering push notification either for free or for very reasonable price.

I will recommend https://apps.shopify.com/cartbite

This one is offering abandoned cart ,back in stock and price drop notification on push and emails. 

If this is helpful please up vote the answer so that other merchants can get benefit from it too

banned