Discount code - Limit to 1 time per customer

Jane25
Excursionist
36 0 33

Hi,

I want to limit this particular discount for 1 time use per customer. Can this be done?

There's only an option How many times can this discount be used? Does this apply to 1 customer or overall?

Thanks.

Replies 217 (217)
Alek
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
132 0 11

Hi Gwen,

You can use the free Bulk Discounts app to create a list of one-time-use discount codes to distribute to your customers.  Using the native Discount function, we cannot yet create a "once per customer" discount code.

Moreover, you can use the app to merge the discount codes with a newsletter campaign on MailChimp to distribute unique discount codes to a particular mailing list, one per customer.  

Cheers!  

Alek | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Jane25
Excursionist
36 0 33

Hi Alek,

Hmm... I don't need a list of different one-time use discount codes. My aim is to create a discount code (Eg. Discount123) & this discount code can only be used once by all customers. Once the customer used it once, she can't use it again.

I read this document in the below link that "How many times this code can be used" determines if it is a one-time only discount. So i just want to confirm that it really works that way.

http://support.shopify.com/customer/portal/articles/75448-can-i-offer-my-customers-discounts-or-gift...

Thanks.

Joseph_Ahn1
Excursionist
31 0 8

Me too, I have the same need as Gwen's.

I'm planning to send this one customer a 'one-time' coupon,
(because I wasn't able to process his order, I want to give him the coupon as a settlement)
but couldn't find the way to do it. It looks like there's no feature for that yet.

I don't think it'd be very hard for Shopify to add this function, so please add this option ASAP.

Thank you!

Bikshapathi_Gor
Shopify Partner
7 0 1

Me too need this functionality. I already distributed the code and now want to restrict the use of that code to only once for the customer. Have anybody done that or know how to do that? Help is appreciated.

Kwany_Lui
Tourist
3 0 3

I would be interested in this as well.  Does anyone have the answer yet?  

Also, does anyone know how to make promo codes valid to new customers only (so that repeat customers can't use it on their orders)?  

Thanks!

VP_Wine_Store
Excursionist
18 0 16

Adding this feature would be really helpful.  We send out a printed coupon with each order and its just not feasible to print a separate one time code for each coupon.

Justin29
6 0 0

This would be useful to us also

James_Lewis
1 0 3

I can't believe how so many people want such a simple feature yet Shopify doesn't seem to want to feature it?

Please Shopify, we love you, but this is such a simple request!

Joel_Drapper
Shopify Partner
75 0 4

What situation are you in where using the bulk discount app wouldn't be appropriate instead? I can't think of one myself.

- Joel www.joeldrapper.com
Tiffany14
Excursionist
75 0 12
@Joel why would a shop owner wants to create thousands of random discount codes when a simple one-time use feature could easily solve this issue? And what kind of situation do you only think that having a one-time use feature would be appropriate because i can't think of one myself. Maybe you could advise one that.And everydiscount code can give us a bird eye view of how many people has used this discount be it for a promotion or an event, allowing us to see how successful it has been. But with thousands of random codes, i can't imagine how one can keep track of what this random code is used for.
Jingcong
13 0 0

Hi, I want to share with you a solution that allows you to create product discounts without having to generate discount codes or keep track of a bunch of them.

We created a Shopify app called Merchandise360, which allows you to create discounts and promotions quickly. You can pull in products from different categories and set a percentage or dollar amount discount that applies to all the products you select. This is much quicker than what you can do currently in Shopify and you don't need the hassle to give your customers discount codes. The bottom line for many online store owners is that you want to move inventory and make sells; this app helps you do that quickly.

You can install it for free at https://apps.shopify.com/merchandise360-for-shopify

Tiffany14
Excursionist
75 0 12

@Jingcong I just install the app but it only have the promotion feature which applies the discount to all/selected products. Not really an app that i'm looking for. Thanks for the reco though.

Jingcong
13 0 0

Hi Gwen, that's ok, I understand that for now, you're trying to create unique discount codes for your individual customers. There are apps like Bulk Discount apps for that.  I am just wondering, how do you think about running promotions for your store? Do you prefer to create limited offers for individual customers on specific products, or do you run promotions and put a bunch of products on sale? What makes the biggest impact for you?

Our app Merchandise360 was created because we thought store owners want a quick way to create promotions across different products categories, rather than having to manually discount products one by one in Shopify. Down the road, we want to help store owners make sure their the amount of discount they choose is really at the optimal level so they are not hurting their margin or leaving money on the table. Is this something you have a need for? We're just trying to learn so we can build a product that's very useful for your promotional needs.

Thank you,

JC

VP_Wine_Store
Excursionist
18 0 16

I think what we are trying to find with a Limited 1 Use Coupon is for a customer to get a discount code that can only be used 1 time per customer.

For example:  Offer is $10 off your first order.  The coupon code would be $10off-first-order.  You could promote this coupon via social media, flyers etc. The new customer could use it on their first order but it would not work again for future orders. The benefit would be not having to create a large number of unique codes for each potential customer.

This would be helpful for offering free or discounted shipping on purchases but limit abuse from customers using it multiple times.  

This feature was standard on Magento Community addition and I'm not sure why its so complicated to get on Shopify.

Thuong_Mai2
Tourist
4 0 22

I think that this feature is simple but important. Shopify, add it please!

Neil_Day
Shopify Partner
1 0 7

Single use per customer codes are an extremely common practice.  I agree with the previous posters that creating a ton of distinct codes is not a good workaround. 

Luke_R1
1 0 5

I agree, this is incredibly important, and is a feature that is available on every other e-commerce platform I have worked with. The presented workarounds are needlessly cumbersome, and only solve the problem in a limited number of situations. For example, we sell on many other platforms, and want to insert a printed coupon card for x% off the customer's next purchase from our online shop in our packaging when shipping out all orders regardless of source. This obviously requires a single coupon code that can be limited to one use per account, rather than multiple unique single-use codes.

Daniel_Tooze
Tourist
9 0 2

its probably as simple as adding some extra html code to the checkout/promotional page. specially if you make customers sign up for accounts. should be as simple as adding tracking or even something like (%if code used )(%deny)   example only.........   but yes this would be a fantastic addition. at the moment i have a 25$ off discount if you become a facebook fan which can be claimed on every single order , even repeat customers can re use it,until i cancel or change the discount..  its a good reward for becoming my facebook fan. but i would much rather prefer a one time use code so that if i have a storewide sale , customers cannot reuse and reuse the code and make me go broke lol...  maybe this is not shopifys concern,, maybe we should make it the concern of some app designers like CouponPop  so that way they can make better apps , so that then they cannot offer them for free and have to start charging us to use them apps...

Alexandre_Wayen
1 0 3

I think too that this feature is necessary. Shopify, add it please!