Does Shopify Theme change affect google ads?

Yannik
Tourist
14 0 2

Hey, 

I would like to know the effects on Google Ads after changing to a new theme. Are there any important points to be considered before I make the switch?

Thanks

Replies 5 (5)

vinods
Shopify Partner
846 15 93

Any website you make it must be seo and cro friendly. 

Vinod Sachdev
Digital Centrics
Digital Marketing Manager
Google & Bing Ads | Website Design & Development | Conversion Rate Optimization

RobertBotto
Shopify Partner
47 1 5

This shouldn't impact anything other than your traditional store metrics.. assuming your new theme is an optimized theme

What do I mean by that? Here's two examples;

• New theme suddenly increase your page load time - thus higher bounce rates which will result in lower conversions and potentially lower quality score
  • New theme has worse UX best practices for CRO - thus again lower conversion rates and more confusion

You can always benchmark test your historical theme vs your new in regards to performance. Keep in mind time-based tests can have potentially misleading results.

Hopefully, that was helpful!

CMO @ Neat A/B Testing - Price Testing, URL Split Testing, Theme Testing, and More
Founder of Shopify App Active Cart
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
sonnyrambo
Visitor
2 0 0

Will the Google API code embeds (GTM, GA4, Google Ads, etc.) on the old theme effect the Google API data streams once I publish the new theme? In short, will the old themes Google codes conflict with the Google codes on the new theme? Hope that makes sense.

Dinesht
Visitor
2 0 0

The answer here is yes. The new theme can effect in a positive and negative way. Best way to check it go to Google analytics and compare the last 30 days data

Compare user avg time on the website

The conversion rate of the website

Avg pages per session of the website

Checkout the speed of the website on mobile and desktop

KieranR
Shopify Partner
333 27 115

Yeah a few ways:

• If the new theme has caused CR to change, then Ads ROAS and CPC will also change proportionately.
  • The new theme can affect page content, layout and HTML markup which can also affect quality scores (both bad and good) for ads you already have running.
  • It's possible that a new theme has some differences to HTML/content that triggers (or re-triggers) Adbot and/or policy suspensions
  • Also, Google Shopping seem to be a lot more sensitive to on-page content, markup, schema etc. So this can be affected too.

Full time Shopify SEO guy, based in NZ. Sometimes freelance outside the 9-5.