Solved

Google Ads Conversion Data not being attributed to "Paid Ads" in Google Analytics

VWD
Shopify Partner
54 0 13

We have two client stores, coincidentally running the same theme.  Both have Google Analytics and Google Ads setup similarly.  Both have Google SmartShopping campaigns created through Shopify --> Marketing.  Both sites are make sales through Ads.  I can see this in Google Ads and through the Conversion Summary panel in Shopify.  

Both also register sales / conversion data in Analytics (transactions, revenue etc).  However only one of the stores attributes the conversions to the correct Channel Grouping "Paid Ads".  The other store always attributes the conversions to "(Other)" --> "Google".  (I can confirm this because I can match the individual transaction revenue values to SmartShopping campaign sourced transactions.)  

When I view Acquisition --> Google Ads --> Campaigns, this is the data I see:

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 4.27.48 pm.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-21 at 4.29.27 pm.png

Clicks / Cost CPC are all recording, however Users, Sessions, Bounce Rate, Conversion Rate, Transactions & Revenue are not in the second site.  

I've double checked the Google Ads settings, Google Analytics settings, Analytics + conversion + remarketing tags and both are almost identical (except for the IDs).  I've followed the Digital Darts GA checklist and used Feed Army's Conversion Tracking and Remarketing code.  I can also confirm that the tags are present and working (using the Tag Assistant extension in Chrome)

Any idea what I can check next?  The next thing I will try is deleting the Google Analytics <-> Google Ads link and then attempt to relink. 

Thank you.

Accepted Solution (1)
PieterB22
Shopify Partner
55 9 15

This is an accepted solution.

Hi,

I was referring to Google Analytics -> Admin -> Property Settings and then just below the industry settings you will find this.

PetrusB22_0-1624353921130.png

It is a setting inside google analytics and not google ads.

View solution in original post

Replies 8 (8)

PieterB22
Shopify Partner
55 9 15

What you might also want to look at, is inside your google analytics account that is not recording sales data; whether you have enabled the option for UTM parameters to overwrite default analytics tracking. With sites that I manage, I have noticed that in some cases the UTM parameters are overwriting the default analytics tracking and then Analytics assigns it to the other channel grouping. If this is not the case. unlinking and re-linking the 2 accounts might be a good idea. This has also worked for us before.

VWD
Shopify Partner
54 0 13

Thanks @PieterB22 - about to try unlinking and relinking now.

Where would I find the settings that relate to UTM parameters overwriting default analytics tracking?  In Google Ads --> Settings --> Account Settings, Auto-Tagging is checked.  (This is the same for all of our Google Ads accounts we have which are reporting correctly in Analytics)

Thank you.

VWD
Shopify Partner
54 0 13

UPDATE:

Unlinking and relinking did not work.  SmartShopping ad driven sales are still being categorised under Other --> Google, rather than "Paid Ads".

What makes it most perplexing is that the other store's configuration / settings in Google Ads & Google Analytics is identical!

PieterB22
Shopify Partner
55 9 15

This is an accepted solution.

Hi,

I was referring to Google Analytics -> Admin -> Property Settings and then just below the industry settings you will find this.

PetrusB22_0-1624353921130.png

It is a setting inside google analytics and not google ads.

VWD
Shopify Partner
54 0 13

I had been through all the settings multiple times to compare it with the working account!  And this was one difference that I consistently missed!  

I think you may have hit the nail on the head!   Thank you @PieterB22.  

I'll wait for a new transaction to come through and then report if it did the trick (I'm confident it will!)

VWD
Shopify Partner
54 0 13

Thank you @PieterB22 - we can see the "Paid Ads" channel grouping now.  You were absolutely right about that auto-tagging setting.

fcs2021
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Sorry to bring up this old question but are you proposing that to solve this that this box in analytics should be unchecked or checked?

PieterB22
Shopify Partner
55 9 15

Hi,

That block needs to be unchecked. If it is checked any auto-tracking parameters will be overridden by the manual parameters that have been specified.