Google Analytics & Ads Conversion tracking - do you need access to Checkout.liquid?

JB-Boards360
1 0 0

Hi Community,

I hope you can help. We've been trying to set up conversion tracking for Google Analytics and Google Ads but were unable to do so and had to set it up as a manual goal. But this doesn't record conversion value and it's not a feasible solution as we scale the business up. Through various investigations on how to resolve the conversion tracking the conclusion is that in order to set it up correctly we would need access to checkout.liquid file. And that access to that file is only available for Shopify Plus users.

Is this correct or are there standard Shopify users seeing conversions (including conversion value or sales) on Google Analytics and Google Ads?

I've seen a few threads on conversion tracking with detailed coding info but nothing mentioning checkout.liquid.

Thanks in advance

JB @ Boards360.com

Reply 1 (1)
Josh_Uebergang
Shopify Expert
853 30 214

No you don't.

Log into the admin section of your Shopify store. Go to “Settings” > “Checkout”. Under the field “Additional scripts”, paste your Global site tag and the right Google Ads conversion code. My guide will help you. There's resources in there as well to help you setup analytics, doing things like goals.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping