Solved

How do I email ALL of my customers?

beanandgrain
9 0 0

I stopped using your built in email marketing because it doesn’t allow me to email all of my customers, which I can do as a small business under UK privacy and direct marketing legislation.

Can you change this?

Thanks,

David.

Accepted Solution (1)
Skye
Shopify Staff
1071 97 195

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @beanandgrain 

Precisely! This is what I explained in my original response. I do apologize if my wording led to any confusion. Please refer to my original response: 

"Please note, this will only provide a customer list for customers who are subscribed to your marketing content. If a customer has purchased, but opted out of marketing, you will not be able to send them a newsletter. This is to ensure we are following anti-spam laws."

If a customer has not opted out, you can absolutely send them an email via the instructions provided above.

Skye | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 11 (11)

Skye
Shopify Staff
1071 97 195

Hi, @beanandgrain.

Thank you for reaching out today! It sounds like you are using Shopify Email is that correct? If so, you should have no problem sending an email to all of your subscribers. When creating a new email, in the to: block, simply select All Subscribers as seen in the screenshot below.

Skye_0-1647894420280.png

When attempting the above, are you shown an error message? If so, what is the message you receive?

In the meantime, in your response to the above information, I would love if you could also provide your store's domain as I would love to check it out! 

beanandgrain
9 0 0

I know how to email all my subscribers, what I want to do is email all of my customers.

Skye
Shopify Staff
1071 97 195

Hi, @beanandgrain.

Thank you for clarifying! To contact all customers who have purchased from you, simply create a customer segment in your Shopify Admin > Customers tab. The filter you will create will be Number of Orders - Greater Than - 0. Finish off by selecting Apply Filter, then name the segment a name of your choosing.

Please note, this will only provide a customer list for customers who are subscribed to your marketing content. If a customer has purchased, but opted out of marketing, you will not be able to send them a newsletter. This is to ensure we are following anti-spam laws.

While I absolutely think there would be a need to email all customers, including those that have opted out, in certain situations, this does go against UK anti-spam laws, and we want to make sure we keep you, and other merchants safe from any complaints and potential fines from regional authorities.

beanandgrain
9 0 0

Hi Skye,

You are correct we can't email marketing information to opted out accounts but we absolutely can to customers. You're interpretation of the UK regulations is incorrect. Small businesses can send email to customers in low volumes, that is low number of recipients and 'relevant' content like sales offers for product lines that are similar to the product they purchased.

Bean & Grain is s side line for me, my profession is messaging security and compliance. I have tried to raise this previously with Shopify but got nowhere. Is there someone in the UK I can talk to about this?

Here's my 'main' business with the relevant page, I am also a UK Gov approved GDPR trainer on the Adviza scheme.

https://www.cleartextsystems.com/services/assuredemail 

Skye
Shopify Staff
1071 97 195

Hi, @beanandgrain.

Thank you for your response! I would be happy to provide your feedback to our developers as a feature request. Can you please provide corresponding public facing documentation stating that even if a customer opts out, you are still able to send them marketing emails? This will greatly increase your chances of having this feature enabled.

beanandgrain
9 0 0

I haven't said if they opt out we can send, of course not. But until they opt out we should be able to send via Shopify if in the UK.
Skye
Shopify Staff
1071 97 195

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @beanandgrain 

Precisely! This is what I explained in my original response. I do apologize if my wording led to any confusion. Please refer to my original response: 

"Please note, this will only provide a customer list for customers who are subscribed to your marketing content. If a customer has purchased, but opted out of marketing, you will not be able to send them a newsletter. This is to ensure we are following anti-spam laws."

If a customer has not opted out, you can absolutely send them an email via the instructions provided above.

beanandgrain
9 0 0

Thanks Skye, I think I'd not properly read your solution as well, slightly embarrassing. My initial email was based on a functionality from a while back. I must have missed the update that enabled this filtering option.

thanks for your help.

David.

beanandgrain
9 0 0

Hi Skye,

Back again, this hasn't worked. Yes I can create a segment with 'Subscribed = yes' and 'order > 0' but when selecting to email this segment the segment is NOT available in the drop. down list of selectable segments to send the email to.

beanandgrain
9 0 0

Screen shots attached, segment has 1578 'customers' in it, but when trying to email that segment only 393 are in the list.Screenshot 2022-03-22 at 10.59.34.pngScreenshot 2022-03-22 at 10.59.04.png 

beanandgrain
9 0 0

Here we go, to reinforce my point;

"In some circumstances individuals could still receive marketing emails from businesses even though they haven’t specifically given consent. This is known as ‘soft’ opt-in. Under the soft opt-in rules the sending of direct marketing emails are permitted if:

• The individual’s email address was obtained by your business in ‘the course of the sale or negotiations for the sale of a product or a service’.

• The direct marketing is in respsect of your ‘similar products and services only

• The individuals are given the opportunity to opt out in the first direct email you send out"

It's late here so I haven't found the actual Gov text, but the above is from;

https://oratto.co.uk/wiki/commercial-solicitors/articles/understanding-anti-spam-law