I tried to get into Affiliate Marketing about 7 or 8 years ago, and, looking back now, I'd say I just gave up too soon. Like everything else today, there are tutorials and classes, etc. all over the Internet that will give you the basics. You need to know about SEO - keywords - metadata - it's all necessary to be at all successful. I went to a 2-day Seminar and they set us up with a "Clickbank.com" account when it was over. That's just one of the places where you can search for a product(s) that interest you. Then you sign up to promote the product and you'll get a special link to put in ads, articles or on your website or blog. Anytime someone purchases that product using your link, you get a commission - some are well worth the effort and some not so much. You need to have a credit card with some spending room on it to pay for ads.
I sold one product pretty quick, but I could see it was going to get expensive real fast - for me anyway - and I gave up. I have to say I'm much more motivated and enthusiastic about starting a dropshipping business. I'm getting close - Failure is NOT an Option! Funny thing - I was watching a dropshipping tutorial, the other day (about advertising, I think) and the guy in the video was the "Affiliate Marketer" who gave the Seminar I attended years ago. Dropshipping must be more successful than Affiliate Marketing, or it seems so, anyway.
I hope I didn't jump in out-of-place, I'm a new member as well. //justalittleattitude.com
At the moment, there are many affiliate marketing apps to support you to run this campaign successfully. You can easily find one on Shopify Store app. If you consider to find a potential tool to manage and track your affiliate performance, you can find try UpPromote: Affiliate Marketing.
With UpPromote: Affiliate marketing, you can view details of each referral order in Referral tab while observing overall performance on Dashboard in form of graph, chart and table.
Two basic tracking methods are affiliate link and coupon code, plus, referral can be tracked by other advanced options such as customer email or SKU. The whole process is automatic, as long as the affiliates share their promotional resources, our system will record if customer is referred by affiliates, once the order is marked as paid on merchant's Shopify admin, the referral will be shown on Referral tab:
The referral list will contain the essential information to help you view/check that order: Order ID (order number), total sales, affiliate name, commission, order details,...
Furthermore, you can click on the order ID to view that order immediately on your Shopify Admin. Or to quickly view order information, click View detail icon to see a breakdown of the commission calculation. You can also add a comment on the referral for yourself or your affiliate. After reviewing the order, you can approve or deny it in order to move to the next step. Plus, in case you find manually approving each referral order is time-consuming, feel free to enable auto-approve referral.
Beside detailed table showing referral on by one on referral tab, on Dashboard, you can keep track of the overall result of your ambassador team.
The reports are respectively:
Line graph with total clicks/orders/sales within the chosen period:
You can choose whether to view all programs' performance or each program separately. Moreover, you can fully customize the time range in order to keep track of your team in each period. With the line graph, you can view the affiliate's performances in different programs as well as different time range.
Pie charts that sum up your financial results within the chosen time.
Through referral orders made from affiliate link and coupon, UpPrmote: Affiliate Marketing will monitor and report affiliate performance with details of clicks/ sales
On this table, each affiliate will be listed with detailed information such as: number of clicks, number of referral orders, revenue they bring and commission amount they get,...
You can use the sort function to arrange affiliates on the descending or ascending order on each column.
With Product analytics, you can view detailed analytics of most preferred products in general and most referred products by affiliate of your shop within the last 30 days.
This table will help you get an overview of which product promotes the most conversion in the recent time, hence, help your marketing team and your affiliate improve their promotional campaign.
According to the provided reporting system, you can view how your ambassador team is doing, then take proper action for each of your publishers.
This marketing model is friendly for newbies. To build your affiliate team, you can start easily with these basic steps:
1. Create affiliate program: UpPrmote: Affiliate Marketing classifies affiliates per program so you can easily manage each affiliate group. Each program has one commission rate (offer). So to start working with Affiliate marketing using our app, you (the merchant) need to have an affiliate program. In the program, you need to set a commission rule and a special product commission rule (if any)
2. Create affiliate registration form: In order to join your program and become your affiliates, affiliates need to sign up the Affiliate registration form. By filling the form, they will provide their detail information for you - the merchant. You can post this registration on your shop menu to invite your visitors to join your team.
3. Affiliate link: Affiliate link is generated automatically by UpPrmote: Affiliate Marketing when they get activated. Affiliate will use that link to promote the merchant shop and any order made through that link will become a referral order.
4. Affiliate coupon: has the same purpose with affiliate link, affiliate coupon is another option for affiliates to promote the merchant's site
5. Affiliate contact/support email: the email address which will be displayed on Affiliate account in case they want to contact the merchant. (This email address can also be used as sender's email while sending notifications to affiliate if you enable that feature)
6. Network commission (Multi-level marketing): the commission an affiliate would get if the affiliate who they invited to the affiliate network brings a referral order.
7. Commission level: network commission rule. Level will be based on the relationship with the affiliate who directly bring referral order.
Here is a real story of a success business using affiliate marketing: Armin Reischer: How we monitor all affiliates and boost our sales – Blog Uppromote
I hope my recommendation will help you have more a potential option to choose. Good luck with your business!
All the bests,