How to increase the seo page title characters limit

milu_balan
Shopify Partner
44 0 3

Hi,

For doing SEO work we can add page title in the 'edit seo' option.But the maximum character limits to 70.I knew that the best way is to keep the characters is within 50 or 60.But I wish to increase that.How can I do it?Is it possible to change.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Replies 15 (15)
David_SGA
Shopify Expert
45 4 11

Hi @milu_balan - that's actually possible through the code, but useless and bad practice. The reason why the maximum length is set to 70 characters is not because Shopify wants to enforce their rules, but because anything more than that will affect you negatively.

I'd recommend you to check this article on Title Tags, especially the section "1. Watch your title length".

Shopify Expert @ Sounds Good Agency
Like this answer if it helped you
Mark it Accept as Solution to help others find the right answer
Book a Free Call if you want to discuss your project | Follow me @davidsimoes_
milu_balan
Shopify Partner
44 0 3

@David_SGA 

I'm aware of this article and gone through them already.But my digital marketing team wants to increase the limit.Can u please give me the code for doing this.

Thank you 

jackyle
Explorer
71 1 9

I use Google translate
The more you try to go against the principle of search engines, the more likely it is that your website will not increase your rankings, but it will also reduce your site's credibility. It is recommended that you do not need to add lengths of threads to do

milu_balan
Shopify Partner
44 0 3

Hi @jackyle 

Sure .I knew that but wanna increase some characters. Please provide the code if its possible 

cmorales
Explorer
85 3 10

What is the niche of your business?

milu_balan
Shopify Partner
44 0 3
cmorales
Explorer
85 3 10

Are they medical supplies, medicine or medical check up?

milu_balan
Shopify Partner
44 0 3

@cmorales 

medicines and physiotherapy products

click here

cmorales
Explorer
85 3 10

I think, you need to compose the title of each products and make it catchy to target market.

milu_balan
Shopify Partner
44 0 3

@cmorales 

No other options??

cmorales
Explorer
85 3 10

All I can say is you have to work with your creativity. 😄

If you want to optimize your title use Keyword Planner from Google. I hoped to it helps to you.

David_SGA
Shopify Expert
45 4 11

I can give you the code, but once again - I think this is a bad idea as everybody else who commented in this thread.

The actual code will depend on the theme you're using, but let's take the Debut theme as an example. In the theme.liquid file you'll find the following piece of code:

{%- capture seo_title -%}
    {%- if template == 'search' and search.performed == true -%}
      {{ 'general.search.heading' | t: count: search.results_count }}: {{ 'general.search.results_with_count' | t: terms: search.terms, count: search.results_count }}
    {%- else -%}
      {{ page_title }}
    {%- endif -%}
    {%- if current_tags -%}
      {%- assign meta_tags = current_tags | join: ', ' -%} – {{ 'general.meta.tags' | t: tags: meta_tags -}}
    {%- endif -%}
    {%- if current_page != 1 -%}
      – {{ 'general.meta.page' | t: page: current_page }}
    {%- endif -%}
    {%- assign escaped_page_title = page_title | escape -%}
    {%- unless escaped_page_title contains shop.name -%}
      – {{ shop.name }}
    {%- endunless -%}
  {%- endcapture -%}
  <title>{{ seo_title | strip }}</title>

What appears between the <title> tags is what the search engines are taking as your page title. If you read the code, you'll see that unless the current page is a search, the seo_title is almost identical to the liquid object page_title. You can see this documentation to learn more about it. In case you want your product pages to have longer meta titles, you can use the real product page title and not the meta one. You just need to change this:

{%- else -%}
  {{ page_title }}
{%- endif -%}

to this:

{%- elsif template contains 'product' -%}
{{ product.title }}
{%- else -%}
{{ page_title }}
{%- endif -%}

Hope this helps 🙂

milu_balan
Shopify Partner
44 0 3

@David_SGA 

Well ,what about  the code for sectioned supply theme

David_SGA
Shopify Expert
45 4 11

@milu_balan 

In theme.liquid find the code:

<!-- Title and description ================================================== -->
  <title>
  {{ page_title }}{% if current_tags %}{% assign current_tags_joined = current_tags | join: ', ' %} &ndash; {{ 'general.meta.tags' | t: tags: current_tags_joined }}{% endif %}{% if current_page != 1 %} &ndash; {{ 'general.meta.page' | t: page: current_page }}{% endif %}{% unless page_title contains shop.name %} &ndash; {{ shop.name }}{% endunless %}
  </title>

{% if page_description %}
    <meta name="description" content="{{ page_description | escape }}">
  {% endif %}

And replace {{ page_title }} by:

{%- if template contains 'product' -%}{{ product.title }}{%- else -%}{{ page_title }}{%- endif -%}

bartp
1 0 1

Like the OP of this thread, I do not like it when these things get enforced by a CMS.

What if Google changes how many characters get displayed? What if tomorrow they suddenly allow 100 characters for a meta title? It's unlikely, but not impossible.

And what if there's a different reason one would want to experiment with page title length? Sure it might be against SEO best practices, but surely I can decide myself whether I want to follow these best practices or not?

The better solution would be to just have a toggle setting somewhere where you can turn the character limit off and on, and sure add a warning to it for people who don't know much about SEO... but at least give people the option to do it? Sound reasonable?