How to track purchases for specific products - Meta Custom Conversions

How to track purchases for specific products - Meta Custom Conversions

BoneBox
Excursionist
20 1 4

Hi there!

I'm looking to optimise my Meta ads for specific products we sell and the natural solution seems to be, to setup custom conversions with URL tracking. 

1) How do I setup a custom URL, so the tag fires on the particular products I want to optimise towards?
2) Is there another way to optimise ad spend toward particular products. For context we sell one-time purchases and subscriptions, and we want to optimise towards the subscriptions since they have much higher LTV and margins.

Cheers!

Replies 6 (6)

Ignelis
Shopify Partner
125 15 23

Hi, @BoneBox 

1) To set up a custom URL with URL tracking for your specific products, you can follow these steps:

• Go to your Shopify admin and click on the "Online Store" tab.
  • Click on "Preferences" and scroll down to the "Google Analytics" section.
  • In the "Additional Google Analytics JavaScript" field, add the following code:

<script>
  gtag('event', 'conversion', {
    'send_to': 'YOUR_CONVERSION_ID/CONVERSION_LABEL',
    'value': '0.00',
    'currency': 'USD',
    'transaction_id': ''
  });
</script>
​

• Replace "YOUR_CONVERSION_ID/CONVERSION_LABEL" with the ID and label of your custom conversion in Google Ads.
  • Replace "0.00" with the value of the product you want to track.
  • Replace "USD" with the currency of your store.
  • Leave "transaction_id" empty.

This will allow the Google Ads tag to fire on the specific product you want to optimize towards and track conversions accordingly.

2) Another way to optimize ad spend towards particular products is to create separate campaigns or ad groups for your subscriptions and one-time purchases. You can adjust your bidding strategy and ad copy to focus on subscriptions, which have higher LTV and margins. Additionally, you can use audience targeting to show ads to customers who have previously purchased a subscription or shown interest in your subscription products. This can help increase the ROI of your ad spend and maximize the value of your customer base.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Have a nice day ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Hire me!
WhatsApp: +37062284670
BoneBox
Excursionist
20 1 4

Hi!

Thanks for the detailed answer, regarding setting up conversions id:s in order to track particular conversions. Google Ads is certainly a channel which we use to great effect, however I was particularly interested in how to do it for Meta Ads since that is where the majority of our spend is going towards.

Would you know the particulars for the same setup for Meta Ads Custom Conversions, or any other method to optimise towards particular products in the Meta ecosystem?

Cheers!

Ignelis
Shopify Partner
125 15 23

Hi, @BoneBox 

About the Meta I am not really sure. For this you might want to consult with the Meta Ads expert.

I wish you the best of luck!

Have a nice day ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Hire me!
WhatsApp: +37062284670
BoneBox
Excursionist
20 1 4

Bump

Tom_Packer
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

I'm looking to do the same.. wondering about setting up a Custom Conversion for Purchases that contain the content_ids' of the product(s) I want to target here.. 

Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 13.51.29.png

I assume that would work.. what i'm not sure about is whether the original value and currency parameters get used in the Custom Conversion if I leave the "Enter a conversion value​" unchecked. Is says the below, so assuming all purchases would be zero unless you set a fixed value here, which is annoying:

"Enter a monetary value for this conversion so that you can track your return on ad spend. If you leave this field blank, the value will default to zero for each conversion."

rashid1122
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Download meta pixel helper extension on Chrome, find the content ID and paste that into customer conversion. You'd need to create a custom conversion in Meta