Incentives for non-orders and abandoned cart follow-ups

kubrina
Excursionist
20 1 7

Hi Shopify experts,

I'm designing a follow-up system for a store that sells quality skin care products. I plan four touchpoints for this system:

• On site exit without placing an order
  • On abandoned cart (at 1 hour, 12 hour, and 24 hour intervals)

I'd appreciate it if you can share your thoughts on incentives, especially for abandoned carts. What is appropriate and motivating, but not excessive? Do you recommend free shipping or discounts?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can share.

Replies 4 (4)
VitaF
Shopify Partner
129 1 20

Hi!

One of the things from our own experience that works is offering free shipping. And it seems to be much more desirable than a little discount - David Bell of the Wharton School of Business stated that a free delivery deal that saves $6.99 is more tempting to many shoppers than a $10 discount.

In fact, the most common reason for cart abandonment is high shipping costs. So it's actually something to think of outside of incentives for cart abandonment as well and perhaps even try how including free shipping fee into your product price affects your sales.

We recently put together an article with tips how to improve shopping cart conversions. Perhaps it will give you some ideas too.  

Helpcenterapp
Elegant1997
Tourist
2 0 1

If your first abandoned cart email was enough to get your customer to return and finalize their purchase, then they will automatically drop out of your abandoned cart email automation and won’t receive the second or third emails. 

However, the reality is that many of your cart abandoners will require a bit more enticing than a simple reminder email to convert them. 

Seeing as unexpected shipping costs is one of the most common reasons for cart abandonment, offering free shipping in your second abandoned cart email can do wonders for your conversion rate. 

If you already offer free shipping, then obviously a free shipping offer in your abandoned cart email isn’t going to incentivize many people. Though it’s still a good opportunity to remind people you offer it. 

Instead, just offering a small discount off their total price should hopefully do the trick.

kubrina
Excursionist
20 1 7

Hi @VitaF

The store already offers free shipping on orders over $100, and many (or most) orders exceed this amount. So we may have to offer a small discount on top of that.

Thanks for your help. I'll check out the article you posted. 

Cheers,

AK

kubrina
Excursionist
20 1 7

Hi @Elegant1997

Yes, we already offer free shipping on orders over $100, and most of our orders reach this amount. So it may take a small discount in addition.

Thanks for your help.

AK