Indexing internal search results to Google

folkloricjungle
1 0 2

Hi there,

Does anyone know how some stores generate internal search results pages for SEO? Essentially taking a tag and making an SEO-friendly page for it.

As an example, I think Wayfair does this a lot. For example, if you search "Italy wall art" it just takes you to a search result on the website with Italy tagged (https://www.wayfair.com/decor-pillows/sb1/italy-wall-art-c215363-a144767~465485.html).

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 9.45.24 PM.png

It seems to me that this wasn't an actual "page" per se, but rather Wayfair auto-creating SEO descriptions for these search result pages that just inserts the tag into a sentence - i.e., they take the tag "Italy" and plugs it into "Shop Wayfair for all the best ____ Wall Art. Enjoy..."

Has anyone tried to do this on their own / does anyone know if this is actually allowed? I'm not sure if this falls under "Autogenerated Content" against Google's guidelines

Thanks in advance!

Replies 3 (3)
Josh_Uebergang
Shopify Expert
853 30 214

The technical SEO term for this strategy is faceted navigation. I suggest you read that article. Minutely controlling the aspects of faceted content for SEO is a challenge in Shopify. It is one of the hardest parts of on-page SEO for anyone to get right.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
KieranR
Shopify Partner
310 25 104

Yeah what josh said. That example you linked is more to do with PLP faceted nav. I'd think of it more like a tag page, not an internal SERP page. 

Wayfair search result URL's actually start like this: 
wayfair.com/keyword.php

In a tool like Ahrefs, you can get a (rough) organic search traffic estimate. So it looks like Wayfairs internal site SERPs are not doing that well in Google Organic search:

KieranR_0-1608598385217.png

Instead, Amazon is a way better example:

KieranR_1-1608598513329.png

I took a look at Amazon top organic keywords where URL contains "s?k=" and it looks like this: 

KieranR_2-1608598872252.png

So you can see how this kind of approach can work well when done correctly (Amazon is an extreme example...)

I think success with internal SERP pages is a mix of things: 

1. Pages set to index. Many internal SERPs are set to noindex by design.
  2. SEO metas + titles that are search friendly for internal SERP results
  3. Good on-page, like search term in ATF large h1 + a description (auto generated?), maybe static render (so not all JS)
  4. Useful to searchers. A general store with a large SKU count like Amazon is perfect here, but a single ecom site with 100 products is likely to struggle to get traction with this. 
  5. Good internal linking - have some custom scaleable way to insert related category kw search terms - somewhere like a pre-footer might work well (similar to how LongtailUX does it)
  6. Good back-linking to those pages

You could probably go a lot deeper with trying to automate a way to define which internal SERP pages are high-priority, what ones should be auto-added to sitemap.xml, what ones should be auto-pruned from internal links, what ones should be no-indexed etc.

Full time Shopify SEO guy, based in NZ. Sometimes freelance outside the 9-5.
mjaljassim
Tourist
8 0 0

Hey, everyone 

i have problem with submitting sitemap to google console "sitemap_products_1.xml " ,

https://proteinkw.com/products/sitemap_products_1.xml

www.proteinkw.com