Solved

Integrating Shopify into a current website

TakeMyAudition
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello. Is there are good/best way of integrating Shopify into a current website.

I cant transfer the current website over to Shopify, and I do not want a different domain for the shop section.
The reason being is our current website TakeMyAudition is built on a different platform, and we want an ecommerce store on Shopify.

Obviously a different domain would maybe cause suspicion amongst potential shoppers. I am not too sure exactly how Shopify works around this?
Is it possible to have Take My Audition running as it is hosted on my current server, and have, say, https://shop.x.com hosted on Shopify? Will that affect the overall speed and performance of the website? 

I would like to know any thoughts before I start messing around! Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solution (1)

r8r
Shopify Expert
2555 327 940

This is an accepted solution.

@TakeMyAudition  - shop.x.com in fact is a different domain than x.com and yes, it’s possible to run Shopify on that sort of a subdomain setup without a problem in terms of performance. The only difference would be the cohesion between the sites in terms of SEO.

The ideal way to build this would in terms of optimal integration be headless. That would allow you to fully integrate Shopify in your site, but for a completely different cost.

Mario

★ Ja, man kann mich buchen; schreib mir eine Nachricht!
★ Hinterlass gerne ein Like und markiere meine Antwort gegebenenfalls als Lösung. Ich freue ich mich immer über eine Spende an die (Kinder)krebshilfe oder eine kleine Aufmerksamkeit.
Studio Mitte

View solution in original post

Replies 4 (4)

r8r
Shopify Expert
2555 327 940

This is an accepted solution.

@TakeMyAudition  - shop.x.com in fact is a different domain than x.com and yes, it’s possible to run Shopify on that sort of a subdomain setup without a problem in terms of performance. The only difference would be the cohesion between the sites in terms of SEO.

The ideal way to build this would in terms of optimal integration be headless. That would allow you to fully integrate Shopify in your site, but for a completely different cost.

Mario

★ Ja, man kann mich buchen; schreib mir eine Nachricht!
★ Hinterlass gerne ein Like und markiere meine Antwort gegebenenfalls als Lösung. Ich freue ich mich immer über eine Spende an die (Kinder)krebshilfe oder eine kleine Aufmerksamkeit.
Studio Mitte
CG0
Visitor
1 0 0

Would you mind providing more info about headless integration? We have a similar problem and are trying to figure out best course of action to integrate ecommerce capabilities from Shopify with our existing website running on a different platform. 

demib
Shopify Partner
132 12 62

Yes, you can run your Shopify store on a subdomain such as shop.YourDomain.com

In fact, many websites use a subdomain structure for the same reasons as you - having different applications operate different services and functions such as:

• blog.YourDomain.com (many prefer a WP blog but another CMS for main content or shop)
  • support.YourDomain.com (some use third party applications for support portals)
  • uk.YourDomain.com (some use subdomains for regional or language versions)

A sub-domain structure can be just as well optimized and SEO'ed as any other structure (for example a unique domain or sub-folder structure) but each one comes with its own set of advantages and challenges. If you understand them you are set to go 🙂

For a sub-domain structure the biggest SEO-challenge is, that each domain is technically an independent entity that need to have sufficient authority to rank well in search engines. So you need links to each domain - not just one domain (if all was on one). That requires a bit more work with linkbuilding. 

However, having said that, you can transfer much of the authority from your current main site (at YourDomain.com) to the  new Shopify sub-domain site by makes sure they are very well interconnected.

• Integrate a global navigation scheme across the sites
  • Link between related pages on the two sites (for example from articles on the main site to relevant products on the shop)

I hope this helps 🙂

I have helped many companies optimizing a sub-domain strategy and if you basically follow the advise above you will be fine.

SEO Geek since 1996, consultant author and public speaker. Admin of the Shopify SEO Facebook Group

Was your question answered? Kindly mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

lily01
Visitor
3 0 0

In the problem that you give, it is completely possible to operate 2 sales websites in parallel with different domain names. But my customers often have a common mistake between these two sales platforms is lack of connection and update. This will create some difficulties in your business process when products, prices, inventory quantities,... between 2 sales pages are not synchronized.

If you still want to continue using both of these sites side-by-side, I can suggest a solution to integrate Shopify through the Hexasync platform. These are some product examples that we have integrated for our Shopify store owners.

With real-time, up-to-date information about leads, customers, sales, and payments being transferred from one app to your eCommerce and marketing apps, they can work together to drive much better results.

You want to integrate your website vs Shopify, please contact Beehexa for the Shopify integration solution.