Problem with "you need to add a GTIN or MPN"

Moira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
347 55 56

Hey, @Grace_01!

​If you want to see how your ad appears in search results, it's better to use the Ad Preview and Diagnosis tool rather than to do a search on Google. You'll see the exact same results as a Google search but it won't affect your performance stats by accumulating ad impressions every time you search for your ad.

To use the Ad Preview and Diagnosis tool, click the tools icon at the top right of your Google Ads account then click on Ad Preview and Diagnosis under the Planning section. You can also go right to google.com/AdPreview:

If you're looking to become more confident with investing in Google Ads to grow your business, I recommend checking out this Shopify Compass course where you’ll learn the step-by-step process to launch three different Google Ads campaigns. Shopify Compass provides you with webinars and courses on things like store design, marketing, and more. It's 100% free for everyone and new content is being added all the time. This program will help you drive more traffic into your store and also convert that traffic into sales.

I do hope this helps!

Moira | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Grace_01
Explorer
58 2 9

@Moira thanks for the guide.. after checking Google shows each variants ads separately 

0 Likes
sampymishra
Shopify Partner
102 3 13

Hey @ukseller44 

Since you have custom products that do not have an mpn or GTIN, you can leave those attributes blank rather than sending the wrong value that will cause disapproval of your products.

You can look at the app we have developed an app, Easy Google Shopping Feed app by AdNabu for Shopify. Some of the features of our app include: 

• The product-specific score for every product & recommendations to increase the score &, most likely, your performance in Google Shopping
  • Metafield mapping to customize every single attribute of Google Shopping Feed
  • Faster update of Google Shopping Feed with unlimited manual syncing
  • Supports Multi-language and Multi-currency feed
  • Many more features which can save your time and effort.

You can also get in touch with our experts and request a demo. 

Hope this helps.

Sampy Mishra | Customer Success Manager @ AdNabu

- Try our Google Shopping Feed App from Shopify App Store. 

Moira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
347 55 56

Hey @Grace_01 

My pleasure, I'm glad to hear you have utilized the Ad Preview Tool! Have you ensured your products have met the conditions in order to show the parent products? Including the item_group_id in the product feed would ensure that all variant/child products are grouped under the parent product, and variants should never be displayed on their own:

Let me know how you get on,

0 Likes
Grace_01
Explorer
58 2 9

@Moira The product is already have color, size, age group , gender.. and item group id is updated by shopify google channel in feed. So as far as I know the product should display in group.   

0 Likes
Moira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
347 55 56

What type of product are you working with @Grace_01? I'd be happy to take a closer look to ensure all conditions have been met. I have attached an example of product data for a T-Shirt below:

21-09-biv1d-0zycp

Look forward to hearing from you!

0 Likes
Grace_01
Explorer
58 2 9

@Moira Yes all the details are updated as showing in your screenshot.. product like hand gloves , socks 

0 Likes
Moira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
347 55 56

@Grace_01

I found another post on Google forums where a few people are having the exact same problem:

Google decides the format and display of all submitted data. Currently, there is a method to force items to be shown individually, or as a group, or in any other grouping, format, or display.

• There are likely many internal and external factors that may help determine how submitted items are formatted and displayed by Google's automated systems such as submitted data rules, a user's search behavior, how users search, especially over time, etc. So far, Google has not published any such details.

• Parent-products, representative products, sets of product categories, or similar items that are not physically in stock and can be shipped to the user, are not allowed to be submitted, at all.

My suggestion from here is to try reaching out to Google Support as they will be able to directly access your products and provide an explanation as to why the variants are displaying separately. You can find their contact details below:

All the best,

0 Likes