Product images

Dteachmh
3 0 0

My wife and I are working on our new reselling store, which we hope to "go live" in the next week or two.  As we build inventory, we have a question about product images.  I have heard not to copy and paste images from Amazon or even the manufacturer, so I guess my question is, then were do you get pictures of the product from?  I can take pictures of the smaller items myself, no problem, but for other items, do I really have to unbox the item, set it up, take a picture of it, then take it apart and put it back in the box and re-seal the box for every item?  That can't be right, can it?  For example, I have two Christmas trees in my inventory.  There is no way I am unboxing them, setting them up, going through all that and then squishing them back into their boxes to sell.  I certainly don't want to break any copyright laws.  Looking for advice from the great store owners on this forum!  Thank you.

Reply 1 (1)
Hilary
Community Manager
Community Manager
548 78 112

Hi, @Dteachmh 

Congrats on being so close to launching your new store, very exciting. These are great questions regarding copyright laws for images. Have you tried contacting your suppliers directly to see if they have open-source images you are allowed to use when selling their products? My best suggestion for you would be to reach out to these suppliers directly to find out how you can legally share images of their products for selling. 

Outside of taking your product images, as you mentioned, hopefully some other store owners can point you in the right direction for how they've resolved this issue. Let us know how it goes! 

Hilary | Community Manager @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog