Product page gone from avg. #2 rank to almost non-indexed

mfcss
Explorer
52 6 12

Hi all,

We've shifted to Shopify back in August and we're generally happy with the move. 

This week, however, we've encountered a very strange problem for one of our product pages: https://www.csselectronics.com/products/j1939-dbc-file-pgn-spn

The product page is old and has been ranking #1-2 for the relevant keywords, J1939 DBC and J1939 DBC File. However, within the last week, it has gone from the usual top position on Google search - to being practically impossible to find on Google. As a result, the #impressions and #clicks have dropped substantially. 

We do not believe we've made any obvious changes to the product page, except that we added some Video Schema markup for a youtube video related to that product page. According to Search Console, the schema markup was correct (we've tried removing it again). However, since then it seems as if the product page is gone from search (while in contrast, our Youtube video on the topic is now on top 3 results).

Have any of you experienced similar results or have any suggestions as to what we should look into? I'm thinking if this is related to our Shopify transition (and URL migration), but no other pages are having similar issues from what we can see. Alternatively I thought whether it could be a penalty of some sort for keyword stuffing, unexpected backlinks or something like that - but we've never had issues with this in the past 5 years. 

Any inputs are welcome!

Replies 4 (4)
Greg-Bernhardt
Shopify Staff
6 0 0

Appears to have been temporary. I see you at #1 for that query.

mfcss
Explorer
52 6 12

Are you able to share a screenshot? We’ve tried on many devices and vpns and we still do not see it - it is gone from both Bing and Google, hence we assume the issue must be related to some sort of technical issue. Our concern is whether there is a structural issue with Shopify or our Shopify product pages

mfcss
Explorer
52 6 12

Thanks a lot for checking.

I installed "Free VPN for Chrome - VPN Proxy VeePN" and tested for a number of different countries. 

It seems that indeed if I set the location to USA, it shows up as #1 (where it would be expected).

However, for all other locations (e.g. Denmark, Netherlands, Russia, France, Singapore), the page is completely gone from search results (it's not listed on any page and none of our domain's related pages are shown). In order to get the page to display in any of those countries I need to use site:url. So it seems like it's not "deindexed" per se, but at the same time it's not just a ranking drop in those countries, it seems as if it's completely gone. 

I've never seen something similar to this and no other pages on our domain face the same issue - but we're of course concerned that they might at some point, since there is no clear "distinction" between this particular product and our other product pages.

Any idea what might be causing this behavior?