Product pages not being indexed on google

Solved
CALtd
Tourist
36 0 1

Hi, my product pages are not being indexed on google.

site:commercialappliance.co.uk

I have 340 discovered, but not indexed pages with no known error.

I ran a test with screaming frog and lots of pages say "Non Indexable - Canonicalised"

How can i fix this? I have no idea what it means.. 

please help 

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
KevinW
Explorer
55 8 64

This is an accepted solution.

@CALtd you do not want these URLs indexed...

yourstore.com/collections/{collection-name}/products/{product-name}

These are the only URLs you want indexed...

yourstore.com/products/{product-name}

Google crawls anything it can get it's hands on by virtue of crawling links on your site, in your sitemap, and on other sites. In the case of your store, your theme is linking to the non-canonical (i.e. wrong) product URLs from collection pages like this one, and Google is crawling them and reporting them to you as a result. 

See here...

KevinW_0-1596135873981.png

The good news is, those URLs have a canonical tag pointing to the correct product URL. The bad news is, it's not the ideal setup. 

Again, you really don't need to do anything. But if you're a perfectionist like me, follow the directions below to tell your theme to link to the canonical product URLs on collection pages, courtesy of the Shopify SEO experts at Northcutt....

"To resolve this issue, you will need to edit the product-grid-item.liquid file so that it no longer references the collection in the URL. The template contains the following markup:

{{ product.url | within: collection }}

You need to edit this so that it says:

{{ product.url }}

This will update every URL so that it always refers to the top-level product version of this page."

Kevin Wallner // SEO & Analytics Expert
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution
- Ready to accelerate your SEO growth? Let's chat!

View solution in original post

Replies 21 (21)
MS-WEB-DESIGNER
Shopify Partner
3012 181 488

Dear CALtd,

Submit product sitemap at search console also you can again try to index product by submitting each product manually 

Click Here to Hire Shopify Store Customization Experts
Boost Conversions & Average Order Value with this
Best App for Sticky Add To Cart
KevinW
Explorer
55 8 64

Hi @CALtd - Do the “Discovered - Not Indexed” product URLs contain /collections? If so, you can ignore them. You don’t want those URLs indexed in the first place because they’re duplicate product URLs. In Shopify, the same exact product can be viewed at yourstore.com/products/{product-name} and yourstore.com/collections/{collection-name}/products/{product-name} for every collection that product is a member of. The reason Screaming Frog says they’re not indexable is because Shopify automatically adds rel=“canonical” tags to each duplicate URL that points to the main product URL (a.k.a. the canonical URL, the only one you want Google to index). 

CALtd
Tourist
36 0 1

Yes, and the canonical version is Indexable.

Does that mean its just a matter of time before it gets indexed?

many thanks

Jack

KevinW
Explorer
55 8 64

This is an accepted solution.

@CALtd you do not want these URLs indexed...

yourstore.com/collections/{collection-name}/products/{product-name}

These are the only URLs you want indexed...

Google crawls anything it can get it's hands on by virtue of crawling links on your site, in your sitemap, and on other sites. In the case of your store, your theme is linking to the non-canonical (i.e. wrong) product URLs from collection pages like this one, and Google is crawling them and reporting them to you as a result. 

See here...

KevinW_0-1596135873981.png

The good news is, those URLs have a canonical tag pointing to the correct product URL. The bad news is, it's not the ideal setup. 

Again, you really don't need to do anything. But if you're a perfectionist like me, follow the directions below to tell your theme to link to the canonical product URLs on collection pages, courtesy of the Shopify SEO experts at Northcutt....

"To resolve this issue, you will need to edit the product-grid-item.liquid file so that it no longer references the collection in the URL. The template contains the following markup:

{{ product.url | within: collection }}

You need to edit this so that it says:

{{ product.url }}

This will update every URL so that it always refers to the top-level product version of this page."

Robit
3 0 0

@KevinW 

first of all we are not yet a shopify customers, but we are strongly thinking or exchanging our selfhosted shopsystem to shopify...

As non shopify user and german user, the url structure sems to long esp with collection

I havent seen any solution suitable solution, except  your reference with the /products/ structure

cant you go from

to

regards

yourstore.com/{product-name}

KevinW
Explorer
55 8 64

@Robit I haven't come across any evidence that Google prefers the shortened URL structure you're proposing, so unless you have, I would just stick with Shopify's defaults and focus on successfully migrating your existing site to Shopify instead. That said, I do know of one solution (scroll to the "URL structure" section), but it's pretty technical so unless it's implemented perfectly, my guess is you'll create more problems for your site in the long run. Good luck! 

mwhitehouse
Tourist
7 0 1

I've the same issue. The site indexed in 2-3 days (2 weeks ago now) but the Product pages haven't been indexed yet. How long did you have to wait for your Product pages to be indexed as it looks like they are now shown?

thanks

Matt

Fern88
Tourist
9 0 1

It's been now 3 weeks for my site and I still don't see the product pages being indexed.  

If I google site:amazonasfoodsonline.com

I only see 4 results.  

I currently have over 150 products in my store.  

Any thoughts? thanks

Monalisa01
2 0 0

Hi Kevin,

@KevinW 

Thanks! this is very helpful advice. I wish to see this earlier:(

I submitted a sitemap to google search engine before editing the code as you suggested (removing within: collection snippet). It turns out those duplicated yourstore.com/collections/{collection-name}/products/{product-name} URLs are indexed by Google a few days ago.

I modified the code as you suggested today. It works well, now all the internal navigation points to the page yourstore.com/products/{product-name. But Google still only indexed the collection/products

What should I do at this point to have google index the real product page and remove collection/products?

• should I manually submit index requests for /products pages in Search Console?
  • should I submit a "removal" request in Search Console for those collection/products pages?
  • should I 301 redirect collections/products to /products?

Sorry about the long list of questions. This issue bothered me for many days already...appreciate your help!

mwhitehouse
Tourist
7 0 1

From what I can work out it doesn't matter if Google indexes the Collections page or the Product page for a particular product. If Google finds one of the pages it won't index the other - after all it's the same page just with a different URL and your products will be available on Google with either.

KevinW
Explorer
55 8 64

Hi @Monalisa01 ,

Glad to hear the template change worked! Google is notoriously slow at removing URLs from its index so I'm not surprised they're still there. It's not a big deal, but as a perfectionist, it bothers me to see them there lol.

should I manually submit index requests for /products pages in Search Console?

yes, but Google still uses its discretion, so this method may not actually speed up the indexing process.

should I submit a "removal" request in Search Console for those collection/products pages?

this might help, but only submit products for removal until you've confirmed the canonical URL has been indexed. it's better to have the non-canonical URL indexed than none at all.

should I 301 redirect collections/products to /products?

no, this isn't necessary and will only create a tangled mess of redirects to manage going forward. 

KevinW
Explorer
55 8 64

@mwhitehouse technically, it's not wise to neglect the SEO best practices for canonical tags and let Google figure everything out itself. It's true that users don't really care which URL they find in Google. As long as one of them gets indexed, your product will be available on Google. But what if a popular blog or news site reviews one of your products and you get a backlink to the wrong URL? This is why Shopify owners should care about getting their canonical tags sorted out - their product pages may be available in Google, but they might not reach their full ranking potential. If you want to learn more, this Ahrefs article does a good job of explaining why canonical tags are important.

Monalisa01
2 0 0

@KevinW Thank you, Kevin! This is super helpful. Glad to meet knowledgable people in this community like you 🙂

mwhitehouse
Tourist
7 0 1

Thanks Kevin. That article is really useful..... i suggest everyone reads it 🙂

Matt

Propelguru
Trailblazer
313 7 46

In these situations, you can try to index your product page URL in Google Search Console, doing this will send a message to Google crawler that this page needs to be indexed on an urgent basis. 

After some time Google will crawl your products page and if you see any error in the console then rectify it and try indexing it again.

Tipada
Excursionist
18 0 3

@KevinW for me this change only affected collections listed on the front page, but actual collection pages still have long URLs for products

example: https://www.elikoglow.ca/collections/cos-de-baha

Is there a different file to edit for those?

RHWD
Tourist
6 0 1

I'm mildly frustrated at having stumbled into this exact issue today for a couple of sites I've put live this year.  

But seriously, who has time to manually submit re-indexing requests for all products in Search Console? There's a daily limit anyway from what I've just seen.

The majority of the pages either falling into 'discovered - not indexed' or 'crawled - not indexed' aren't /collection/ referencing pages, they are 95% /products urls. 

My only observation after having tested the live url is Google's coming back with the age-old schema warnings about meta which isn't relevant. This has never been an issue indexing a Shopify site correctly before but hey, goalposts always move.

Sites in question are bamalaposters.co.uk (Debut & 300+ pgs not indexed) and welovecushions.co.uk (Kalles - 430 pgs not indexed) if anyone would like to dive deeper.

Would be VERY happy to resolve this and please the Google Search gods.

Thanks,

Richard.

vseazon
Tourist
6 0 3

Hello, I have found that now your website don't have indexable pages problems anymore, can you tell me what you have did please ? Thanks a lot...

vseazon
Tourist
6 0 3

Hello, I can noticed that you have now all your pages indexed, I have the same problem than you, please can you tell me what did solve your problem ? Thanks a lot