Set up enhanced conversions for google ads using GA4 purchase conversion

Feemish
Pathfinder
102 0 87

Hi everyone!

I got a message from Google Ads;
"Use enhanced conversions to preserve your conversion measurement"

My Shopify set up uses the 'Google and You Tube' app in the sales channel section.
This links to my Google analytics  GA4 property.

GA4 is receiving data fine. 
I have the GA4 'purchase event' set as a conversion event and conversions are being correctly recorded.

I import this conversion event into google ads as the conversion action for my ads.
This is all working fine.

How do I set up enhanced conversions using this set up?

All I can find online or on here are instructions on how to set up enhanced conversions using Google Tag (and inserting code) or using Google Tag Manager. 

Surely my GA4 can do this? It is set up to 'allow user-provided data capabilities' and 'automatically detect user provided data' and Google Ads has 'Enhanced conversions' switched on in the conversion settings. 

Can anyone help?

Replies 15 (15)

EvanWan
Tourist
4 0 1

It seems that the conversion settings imported from GA4 cannot be set to enhanced conversion. You need to create a new conversion action using GTM or insert the code manually.

Feemish
Pathfinder
102 0 87

Thanks. I was starting to feel that might be the case. 

EvanWan
Tourist
4 0 1

Enhancing conversions is important for most websites, and the conversion events in GA4 may already contain user data, which is my guess (because of Google signals).

Feemish
Pathfinder
102 0 87

yes I thought so too. However there doesn't seem to be a way to pass the enhanced data over to Google Ads.

EvanWan
Tourist
4 0 1

The only way to do that is to create a new conversion action. Lovesdata has detailed tutorials.

Feemish
Pathfinder
102 0 87

I already have a conversion action in Google Analytics for purchases. Its working fine and passing the conversions to Google Ads. Google Ads uses this for conversion tracking. Its just not passing enhanced conversion data.

Feemish
Pathfinder
102 0 87

Lovesdata recommends linking Shopify with GA4 using the 'Google and You Tube' App.
Which is the set up I have.

I don't think he would recommend that if it wasn't an optimal solution.
The more I research the more I think that there MUST be a way for GA4 to pass the data for enhanced conversions.
I haven't found it yet though.

The way recommended by Google is to use Google Tag Manager. 
But from what I have found out you shouldn't install both.
I am wary of uninstalling the 'Google and YouTube' app GA4 connection as it is working perfectly.

Feemish
Pathfinder
102 0 87

Hang on... I just found this in Google Ads : Conversions : Settings : Enhanced Conversions : View Instructions

lplp.JPG

Shawn512
Shopify Partner
110 2 11

same question here.

Pet Travel Supplies Small Business

Feemish
Pathfinder
102 0 87

Hang on... I just found this in Google Ads : Conversions : Settings : Enhanced Conversions : View Instructions
lplp.JPG

So that's not great is it.

Does this mean that if I want to use advanced conversion with Google Ads 
(and we all do because 3rd party cookies will be deprecated on browsers like Chrome soon)
Then I need to uninstall the 'Google and YouTube' app and unlink GA4 
and then implement Google Tag Manager instead?

EvanWan
Tourist
4 0 1

My suggestion is to additionally set up GTM’s purchase conversion operations and retain the conversion operations imported from GA4. Although conversion actions are recorded twice, if your conversion data exceeds 50 per month, it will not affect the optimization of your ads. If you use shopify plus, you can delete the conversion operations imported by GA4.

Feemish
Pathfinder
102 0 87

Thanks but I've read that having BOTH Google Tag Manager AND the 'Google and YouTube app' GA4 tag installed should not be done.

Something about both using the same data layer and there being potential conflicts. But I'm not an expert.

I also dont want to get into double reporting of conversions! 

Feemish
Pathfinder
102 0 87

I'm surprised that there are not more Shopify merchants worrying about this! 
If you use Google Ads like Shopping campaigns results will suffer unless enhanced conversions are set up.

jijiji.jpg

Dom-Mint
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Did you manage to find a solution for this? we have the same issue. 

Feemish
Pathfinder
102 0 87

Google analytics GA4 cannot pass enhanced conversion data to Google Ads.

In the end I uninstalled the 'Google and YouTube' App.
I switched to a paid app; Simprosys Google Shopping Feed. 
That app not only supplies merchant centre with my shopping feed. It also installs GA4 AND Google Tag Ads conversion tracking with Enhanced conversions. It was an easy set up and today Google Ads told me that it was successfully tracking enhanced conversions.