Shopify Email Automations and Pop-up

Zuleica
Tourist
10 0 2

Can I confirm that the only automation Shopify Email currently offers is abandoned cart? If I want to set up eg automatic welcome emails is there a good plugin or am I best to sign up for eg Mailchimp?

What is the best plugin for getting a 'sign up to newsletter' popup to appear when customers come to the site?

Replies 5 (5)

Jeremy_Robinso1
Pathfinder
131 0 41

Shopify has a number of automated emails that are triggered by user behaviour (order confirmation, etc). They all fall into the category of transactional emails - though abandoned cart emails blur the line a bit as they might be considered marketing. 

Some Themes have email opt-in popups built in but they are limited in customizability. 

You might want to check out Opt- in Monster or Justuno  as an add on to Mailchimp. (they are just focussed on designing high-performing popups).

Klaviyo is a great alternative to Mailchimp and has popups built right into it. Most serious ecommerce brands are using Klaviyo these days, though it's a little pricer on average. 

Here is a comparison of Klaviyo Vs Mailchimp

I co-run www.soyoung.ca and share my experience in building a 7 figure brand at indiebrandbuilder.com
Zuleica
Tourist
10 0 2

Thanks, yes I meant marketing email automations. That's a shame they don't offer some more options for standard ones (such as newsletter sign ups) as it's fairly useless without that.

Jeremy_Robinso1
Pathfinder
131 0 41

In my experience most platforms do one thing really well and the ones that to try to do everything tend to do none of them particularly satisfactorily!  :-).

Shopify a great online store front. Not so great for accounting, inventory management, or marketing automation – though it incorporates aspects of all those things. (As an overall software stack, we use Xero for accounting Klaviyo for marketing automation, Shopify as a storefront and Dear for inventory management.)

If you’re looking for marketing automation specifically for e-commerce, I’d say Klaviyo is your best bet. It’s generally considered the leader in email/marketing automation for small to medium size businesses. I know Klaviyo very well and have a course for it on Udemy.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about it.

I co-run www.soyoung.ca and share my experience in building a 7 figure brand at indiebrandbuilder.com
Zuleica
Tourist
10 0 2

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me why you think klaviyo would be better than Mailchimp? I'm leaning towards Mailchimp (or possibly Seguno) because the fees are better for small audiences. I only have a couple of products in-store (www.middle-earth.yoga), so it seems like overkill to pay for klaviyo.

FilipposD
Shopify Partner
45 1 19

I recommend SmartrMail or Justuno if a simple newsletter popup is needed, especially if you want to avoid slowing down your store.