Shopify Email - More powerful customer segmentation needed

mnearents
Excursionist
38 3 18

Shopify Email seems like a pretty legit marketing tool that could even compete with some larger marketing solutions (Klaviyo, Mailchimp), and with much better pricing, except that it's missing a crucial feature that would change it from unsable to totally awesome!

More powerful customer segmentation - Because it relies on customer filters for segmentation, it's super limited. Shopify needs to add filters for when/whether or not a customer has opened or clicked an email. How else would we identify unengaged subscribers? In Klaviyo, I define my unengaged subscribers as people who have:

• Opened email 0 times in the last 60 days
  • Clicked email 0 times over all time
  • Active on website 0 times over all time

So because of the limitations of customer filters, I can't do any of this. And sending emails to my unengaged subscribers lowers my open and click rates a ton.

Even with third party tagging apps, I don't have access to email opens, clicks, or website visits to use with filters.

I also can't combine filters, which is also super limiting, which means I can't create customer groups with multiple conditions. For example, in the "More filters" menu, I cannot create a group of customers with 0 orders AND were added as a customer last year. It's one or the other. So even if I could access email open/click rates, I wouldn't be able to combine them into a single search in order to create a customer group to send emails to.

It's so close to being amazing that I'm hoping what I'm asking is possible with third party software, or that someone at Shopify can tell me if this is on the roadmap. I know Shopify tracks email opens because it's in the Notifications settings. But we need a way to identify who is opening emails to prevent sending emails to unengaged subscribers.

0 Likes
ChampionsApp
2 0 0

Hey mnearents,

We are working on solving this problem with our app. Would you like to get onboard as a beta user (initial adopter) and also help us along the way with your feedback? 

The app is not ready yet, but your insights into how you are using Shopify Email will help us stay in the right direction. Would love to have a chat with you. 

Prathamesh Krisang

Champions Segment Analytics

0 Likes
mnearents
Excursionist
38 3 18

Yes, if you need a beta tester, I'm interested. I'm a little skeptical that it's possible though. I know Shopify's API won't give you website traffic info, or email open/click rates, so how would you get those?

0 Likes
ChampionsApp
2 0 0

Yes there are technical issues there. As of now, we are starting with some intelligent segmentation algorithms that will segment customers based on their purchase behavior instead of email open/click behavior.

As for the Shopify Emails open and click data, we're not working on that yet, since we did not think of that use case before.

Would love to have a brief chat with you on this and understand the problem better. Is there a way I can connect with you? My email is unfairvantage [at] gmail [dot] com

0 Likes