Showing ads on your shopify store websites

sumo75
2 0 0

Store owners,

Wondering if any or how many of you show display ads on your shopify store websites to earn money? For instance Google AdSense ads. If so, what are some considerations when deciding to show ads on your shopify store website? Which advertising vendors are you using to show ads?

Thanks

Paddy

Replies 24 (24)
Stacey_Brazen
Shopify Partner
416 0 55

Paddy, this is a bad idea for so many reasons. The pennies you'll earn from adsense won't come close to the dollars you'll lose in sales from reduced credibility.

Actionable, affordable, marketing strategies that work. Stacey Herbert www.brazenprofitlab.com
Chris_Gursche
2 0 2

The very last thing you want when people are trying to decide whether to spend money at your store is to have them distracted with the idea of spending money somewhere else.

loran
Shopify Partner
4 0 1

I agree with the others, Paddy 🙂 I would feel suspicious of a website, not well known, that shows ads. It just doesn't look credible. Plus, you don't want people leaving your site to buy something else, which is the only way you'll be paid for having the ads... when someone clicks on them. 

Julia_Darcy
1 0 3

As someone who shops often online, I've seen several big names offering partner ads.  Not ads ense, but they seem to have special retail deals with other big retail sales orgs.  Ama zon is the biggest one who does this.  I've seen it on K ohls too.  Full beauty and wal mart have deals to handle the transaction and then send the order to big retailers - and both are upfront on who will fulfill the orders. Full beauty has a whole host of companies that it does this for and I know wal mart does this for wayfair and some smaller suppliers.  

It would be very easy to put related Ama zon affiliate items on your store.  And I think customers would appreciate the concept if they can't find what they want in your store.  I know I love a huge selection when I shop online.

There should be NO cheezy adse nse ads or sleezy gimmicks trying to get people to click your ads, solely for ads ense income.  But working with affiliate retail sellers would be a great idea that will help your customer.  You could partner with other shopify retailers with similar products too.  This would get more traffic for both stores.  

Always (and only) do what your customer will appreciate.

Gina_Ferriole
3 0 0

I agree, I tried it for a few days then realized they were showing ads for candles on other websites, and I tried to block those ads but was very unsuccessful so I had to get rid of it. I sell candles the last thing I want is my potential customers to go elsewhere to get them because of a ad on my website. 

sumo75
2 0 0

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts. But, if the purpose of advertising is to earn money from traffic that does not buy anything from the store, and if it is CPM based not click based, and if there are controls to block certain categories, e.g ads from candles if you sell candles on your website, then why is it a bad idea? Adsense and some other ad networks seem to offer these?

i do like the idea of affiliates across Shopify stores, but would people be willing to partner and show affiliate links for similar products?

Thanks again,

Paddy

Arvind_Rajkumar
Tourist
10 0 3

No.. No.. No..

We are building brands here.. not writing blogs that stay up on search engines ..  So that the viewership pays for the effort..!

Our Revenue comes from the conviction that we build in to our customers..  and our products/pricing/and positioning..

and    -not telling them, what better/worse options are around.. when those options shown are not in our control..

Stupid Idea.. IMHO..

Life is the Art of drawing without an Eraser !
Graham_Grumley
Shopify Partner
17 0 14

Hi Paddy,

I agree with the others. It makes little sense to pay for an e-commerce engine such as Shopify, and then direct visitors and their wallets to other stores.

Your store has to stand on its own feet, and be profitable from sales. If it is not profitable in time after a solid marketing effort, then change the offering, or reconsider the business.

Ads should be left to bloggers and the likes. Ads most certainly have their place, but not on an e-commerce site when you are paying for an e-commerce engine.

Best of luck,

Graham

Alex_Tung1
6 0 0

Pour money into it in the right way. We have Google & Facebook's agency accounts for rent. The reach is much higher than personal accounts and the money you can pay is unlimited. Are you interested in?

Please contac me via skype: vntanglong

email: nttung53bcbls@gmail.com

Jennifer38
1 0 1

Just pointing out that Target uses 3rd party advertising... It is way more common than one would think!

Ivan_Dixon
1 0 0

Hello Paddy,

I agree with you.. i've been looking for the same thing.. I have a brick & mortar so online income stream can increase with 3rd party ads & banners. I've been searching an still no clean way to add side banners. So far i've come to the conclusion the theme would have to be customized to your liking to add banner space.

Trung_Luu_Bao
2 0 0

But if these ads is about your store, created by myself and published by myshelf, how can I show my goods beside my blog?. People may like to read your blogs. They are attracted by your blog but they don't have any plan to buy something at that time. Let's think about it, if a good ads appear when they read our blog, then they want to learn more infomation about your goods. It's not a bad idea.

Trung_Luu_Bao
2 0 0

But if these ads is about your store, created by myself and published by myshelf, how can I show my goods beside my blog?. People may like to read your blogs. They are attracted by your blog but they don't have any plan to buy something at that time. Let's think about it, if a good ads appear when they read our blog, then they want to learn more infomation about your goods. It's not a bad idea.

Ryan_Anderson
Tourist
55 0 2

If I saw ads on an eCommerce website I would NOT buy anything. 

The ads would take all trust away from the site. Seems spammy. 

Founder
David_Brewer
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

I think a lot of people are looking at this all wrong.  It's not about selling your compititions products, it's about providing a complete experience to your niche.  For example, I have a shopify store selling beer/homebrew themed t-shirts.  I don't want to run ads for beer t-shirts or even just other t-shirts.  As noted, that would be stupid.  What wouldn't be stupid though would be to affiliate with others in the niche industry.  

I could advertise homebrew equipment or local brewpub ads without affecting my t-shirt sales and in fact could do it in a way to improve my own sales.  This especially would be a good fit on the blog.

Imagine a mix of ads on the right column for non-competitive but related products with yours mixed in.  Some drive traffic from the blog to your direct site while others drive revenue generating traffic to affiliates.  

This helps establish a stronger link between your blog and your store.

This helps build relationships with other businesses in your niche.  The homebrew store can affiliate back with me for example.

This helps provide a stronger and more thorough experience for your customers.

Businesses establish joint partnerships and marketing ventures all the time.  I don't see any reason that couldn't be done here.

Antenna_Porter
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

I agree with David.  There is a term for this that I've heard -- the Complementary Retail Ad Network.  Sellers who sell complementary stuff ought to be trying to drive leads to each other, and it helps the shopper, too, because they're finding stuff they'll like more quickly.

You can't convert every visitor, so why not get an affiliate link if they visit a partner?  And why not be able to re-engage them with your own ad if they visit a partner's site?

Porter

Porter Bayne ----- Founder, Antenna -- Mobile-first ratings for ecommerce!
TONY_ABULI
3 0 0

I agree with Chris. After investing so much in driving traffic to your store, you might loose the customer again by ads popping up every second on your store. 

Matt_Hogan
1 0 0

Having registered with the Adsense, You can earn money through promoting other business in your website. Through this you can earn some money through process. It will reduce the website development or maintenance cost.

Mobile application development company India
Doug_Young
3 0 0

Sounds like a terrible idea.

You cannot control what gets displayed.

Remember too, that the ads and trackers will ad to the burden of the visitors internet connection and slow the loading of your site.

In addition to that you should also be aware of the various exploits that are possible with some of these ad networks as well as ads for scummy products and snake oil.

One example of this. I avoid and deliberately dont recommend speedtest.net because, even though my ad blocker hides their ads, I know that they regularly host ads for MacKeeper (actual Mac Adware).
This situation involves a shady software creator using a legitimate ad network (Google's) to present their ads on a legitimate site in an effort to victimise vulnerable visitors to that site.

Then, there's the fact that the users most likely to buy high margin products (myself included) are also usually more savvy and likely run adblocking tools to protect privacy, speed load times and reduce battery drain.

Ad network compromise leads to rogue page redirects on Reuters site

The ethics of modern web ad-blocking

Why web pages suck

Bad advertisers - Mackeeper, one of many

After turning off all 3rd party scripts, the homepage took 2 seconds to load, down from 11 seconds. ...