Sitemap for subdomain

grubio
Tourist
24 0 1

Hi Community

I got the other day an advice from another member to submit a sitemap for each subdomain representing a different language.

In our case .com is in English, .com/nl is for Dutch and .com/es is for Spanish.

I have a sitemap.xml for .com

For .com/nl and .com/es I have for each subdomain a sitemap for products, another for collections, pages and blogs. Should I submit the 8 sitemaps (4 for each subdomain)?

Thanks!

Reply 1 (1)
Ivy
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
433 34 48

Hi @grubio!

Ivy here from Shopify.

All Shopify stores automatically generate a sitemap.xml file that contains links to all your products, product images, pages, collections, and blog posts. This file is used by search engines like Google and Bing to index your site so that your store's pages appear in search results. Submitting your sitemap files to Google Search Console helps Google find and index pages on your site.

If you're on the Basic Shopify plan, then only your store's primary domain has a generated sitemap file and is discoverable by search engines.

If you're on the Shopify, Advanced Shopify, or Shopify Plus plan, then you can use the international domains feature to create region-specific or country-specific domains. When you use international domains, sitemap files are generated for all of your domains. All of your domains are discoverable by search engines, unless they redirect to your primary domain. In your case I would absolutely recommend submitting a separate sitemap for each domain, as this makes each  different domain discoverable via Google search and has the added bonus of improving your SEO

I have a very handy guide here on how to go about finding and submitting your sitemap. This video walks through each steps one by one:

I hope this helps! Thanks, Ivy 

Ivy | Social Care @ Shopify 
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog