Subdomain & SEO relation

JayWax
2 0 1

Hello!

I have a quick question;

Let's say I have an e-commerce website named "SoapStar" on www.soapstar.com (making it up),

Let's assume I decide to migrate to Shopify, and when I do, I don't get the "soapstar.myshopify" subdomain, let's say I get a random subdomain like "jaywax.myshopify.com".

I was told that having "jaywax.myshopify" as the initial subdomain will HURT my SEO performance even if all the existing urls are converted to Shopify format and directed accurately, because the subdomain does not match the company name.

So in short, my question is "does it matter what initial subdomain you get?".

Does Google index subdomains or not? Couldn't get a definitive answer on Google, so I wanted to ask.

Would be very happy if someone could answer. Thank you very much!

0 Likes
Nick_Marketing
Shopify Partner
577 138 165

There is a likelihood that during any eCommerce re-platforming you will see temporary SERP position fluctuation, but if you do everything correctly, it should be minimal and temporary.

Now speaking about subdomain name selection for 'myshopify.com'. It really doesn't matter much because once you build your site on, let say "jaywax.myshopify.com, before you make it public,  you should point the DNS records of www.soapstar.com domain to Shopify.
Also, it's extremely important that before you point the DNS records, you should ensure all the page/link redirects are in order, this is crucial to prevent tons of 404 errors.

Although this is an older post, the answer of one of the Shopify representatives is valid today.

There is no way to edit your .myshopify.com URL - however, if you're using a custom domain url for your store and you have it pointed correctly, the .myshopify.com URL will not matter, even with SEO. 
https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/The-yourbizname-myshopify-com-URL-and-SEO/td-p/33...

- I am an eCommerce and Marketing Technology consultant based in Toronto, CANADA.
- To inquire about consulting work availability, please send me a Private Message.
- For Shopify Tutorials, Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
JayWax
2 0 1

Thank you for taking the time to answer. We did redirect all the links to the new site. We did lose our place on Google, but our SEO guy told us that it's temporary. As you did. He also did say that it doesn't matter what the initial subdomain is, it has no effect on Google. 

So upon hearing both opinions by him and you, I made a decision. So thank you for that.

Have a good Sunday.

Nick_Marketing
Shopify Partner
577 138 165

@JayWaxExcellent! If you got any questions, reach out!

- I am an eCommerce and Marketing Technology consultant based in Toronto, CANADA.
- To inquire about consulting work availability, please send me a Private Message.
- For Shopify Tutorials, Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
0 Likes