What Marketing Channels should a newbie focus on?

Anton_Chan
1 0 1

Hi,

I just launched my site: www.kokonaut.com

And I'm pretty overwhelmed with the amount of Marketing I will have to do with selling my product.

Should I focus on Facebook, Google, and Reddit ads or just one or two?

Facebook doesn't have SEO correct? So it's mainly just paid ads? Google on the other hand, I should spend some time focusing on Organic Traffic?

Thanks!

Anton.

Replies 21 (21)
Andrew34
Excursionist
80 0 10

Hi Anton,

Interesting product!

The best way to think of this is that you are aiming for “digital word of mouth”. 

To get started, the key is to identify the influential people and organisations relevant to your product and get them to spread the word about you. You can do this by phone, email, forums, social media groups, Reddit or even target them with Facebook ads. The best way to reach such people depends on who they are.

If your product is interesting and you approached the right people, people will start to talk about it. Then you can use social advertising to “fan the flames”. On the other hand, if no-one is all that interested, maybe you need to re-think the product.

So, this action will drive interested traffic to your site. You should have already registered your own domain and made sure your copy is as effective as possible.  The next step is lead capture and learning more about your audience. It’s vital here to get email signups and make sure you set up Google Analytics and the Facebook pixel. This data is key for retargeting (if you skip this step your ads will be too expensive and ineffective because you won’t be targeting the right people). 

Regarding the Google question. SEO is a long term ploy (12 months plus) that you run alongside a content marketing strategy. People generally search on Google when they have strong buying intent, i.e. they are already aware of your product. So in your case, it’s better to focus just on getting some initial traffic as I outlined above. A little later, you may find that people have further questions about the product. So then you go and create content around that and people read it and link to it. At some point Google will figure out that your page is highly relevant to a particular audience. This in turn will drive organic traffic and at this point you might want to optimise this a bit. 

As you’ve realized (!) it’s a huge subject and this is just the bare bones. But I hope at least it gives you some idea that there’s a clear path through the jungle if you don’t get distracted by the noise of all the hawkers in the online marketing community 🙂 ...

Anh_Nguyen1
Shopify Partner
131 0 12

I suggest that you go with content/blog first. Why? The reason is:

• Content is good for SEO.
  • Useful content is easier to be accepted on the Facebook group, Community, Forum so that you can pull traffic from these place.
  • Good Content can go viral

In the end, start with blog post help you to get low-cost traffic. My suggested strategy for you is that, for example, you are selling man's shoes, you can write a content about how to choose good shoes for a gentleman. Then you can share it in a man's group on Facebook, Reddit or even set Facebook ads for the blog post. In that blog post, you can mention your product somehow.

Before pulling traffic to your site, I think you should improve your site up a little bit. I suggest you add a customer reviews section to your landing page, it will be much better. It's good for you to spend something learn about elements that can make a site sell better.

If a huge traffic came to your site but it was not convincing enough to convert visitors into customers, it would be a big waste.

Download free Shopify theme: https://www.sellersmith.com/pages/sellersmith-free-themes
Benjamin_H_1
Shopify Partner
27 0 3

In addition to all of the mentioned already, I recommend setting up Google Analytics with ecommerce tracking. I noticed you don't have it installed on your site. It's free and will allow you to see website data in a different way along with the revenue and traffic each channel is bringing to your site. This will give you hard data to make better decisions on where to invest your advertising dollars.

Additionally, you can setup a variety of goals that can be secondary considerations beyond just revenue.

Digital Marketing Strategist
Jason27
Shopify Partner
82 1 29

Facebook is the obvious main choice. It offers very powerful ad targetting features. You can simply boost your posts and quickly reach thousands of people. Btw, take a look at using this really cool app: once installed it will help you drive way more traffic from those boosted Facebook posts!  https://apps.shopify.com/botified-facebook-private-replies

Pollen
Excursionist
73 0 8

Hey Anton, 

I've seen this question come up a lot and here are my recommendations:

• Since you're selling a consumer product, Facebook and Instagram are your best channels. Facebook advertising helps, but I'll get to that further below
  • Definitely look up subreddits on Reddit that match your specific audience. It may not be the largest audience, but they'll likely be highly engaged
  • Twitter is basically an afterthought at this point. There's so many bots and not a lot of engagement. If you're going to post on Twitter just copy your Facebook updates and don't put too much time into tweets
  • Engage with others through Facebook groups. Instead of just saying, "Try my product. It's so awesome," try solving their questions and offer your product as a way to solve their issues
  • Blog. Blog. Blog. Write blog posts (at least 700 words) specifically talking about issues and topics in your niche
  • Take advantage of Facebook advertising. You'll have to do a little bit of the heavy lifting in the beginning while you're waiting on sales. But once you make a few sales, use tools like Lookalike Audiences to target people similar to your current customers. It takes some analysis skills, but Shopify apps come in handy like Pollen (http://gopollen.com) which handle the heavy lifting for you

Hope this helps! 

Put your Facebook Ads on Autopilot - http://gopollen.com
rito
Shopify Partner
261 1 48

Hi Anton,

If you're looking for a cost-effective way to quality traffic to your store, check out the free Ads app - https://apps.shopify.com/ads

Cheers,

Ryoma

——————————————————————————————————————————————

Free Trust Seals with Reviews Generation to increase conversions - https://apps.shopify.com/trust

Free Conversion Checkout Timer - https://apps.shopify.com/conversion

Utilize Trust Seals with Reviews Generation to increase your sales conversions - https://apps.shopify.com/trust
Jesse_Hunter
6 0 0

The product looks cool, but I noticed on your main page, the mobile phone example image is blurry and very low res. With a product at this price point and in the tech space, you'll really want to correct that. 

Jason22
Shopify Partner
29 0 5

Anton,

I think the good and proven channel is SEO. Start writing the content as soon as you can. Educate the market. It's the time consuming but definitely worth it. You can learn more from Moz website with ONsite SEO https://moz.com/learn/seo/on-site-seo

Brendon_Rell
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

One thing to think about is marketing to existing customers once you get some momentum in your store. Transaction emails (store emails & receipts) have really, really high open rates - introducing marketing in those emails can go a long way in keeping your store busy!

Brendon @ Spently
Tony_Bui
Shopify Expert
371 11 48

Anton,

Interesting product btw, did you start the crowdfunding campaign on the Kickstarter? It might get some traction and traffic. I've seen some great Kickstarter product examples which got funded with 200%+ from the initial goal.

With the channels I'm pretty sure that you aware about short and long term channels. You can try with Facebook / Google ads. The main benefit of these channels is you have the traffic almost instantly and test with the purchase power. Moreover, you can test with audience and ads message. The drawback here is you have to spend a lot money on the ads.

And here it comes SEO organic traffic. I've done a walkthrough across your stie and see only one homepage without sub-pages. I'd suggest you write more about each benefit of your product and make it as Shopify page. When you create those pages invest in the product presentation with some Shopify page builder apps. Link those pages with your home page to increse "internal SEO linking" power. In that way you also improve the user experience and increase the average Page On Time (Google Analytics).

It'd positively impact on your search engine ranking of store. However, just keep in mind that SEO takes time and it's usually 2 - 3 months to get first traffic from Google. 

Regards,

Tony

❤️ Found my answer helpful? Please LIKE or Accept Solutions.
❤️Top 30 Best Shopify Themes Free + Premium: A Complete Review Read More
Mohammed_Ismail
18 0 0

Hi. I am new shopify store. struggling to crack the first sale. improve traffic. if only I advertise on facebook get some visitors. but no conversions. how to go about this online sales

Amy7
Excursionist
14 0 5

Hi Anton Chan and Mohammed Ismail,

I suggest that you should start with low-cost traffic. Shopify also tells you about low-cost traffic

Let's imagine you have 10000 visitors with $100, in 1 month and get just 1 sale. So in the end, you spend $100 and 1 month for only 1 sale, it is not worth. So that I prefer quality-traffic with a low budget. I just read this article about how to drive quality traffic to your Shopify store with low cost and would love to share with you. It's all about analyzing customers and create good content.

Finding low-cost traffic source is also a way for you to understand your customer better, do not just rely on advertising

Akanksha
Excursionist
42 0 6

Hi Anton,

Beginning with organic traffic is the right way. This way you will build your audience which you can later retarget using advertisments or emails.

Generating good content is a good way to get organic traffic. I couldn't see basic content like about us page on your website which is absolute necessary for building trust. Write blogs and articles that are somehow related to the products you sell. Check out this article for some brilliant content ideas. Instagram could be a channel that you can focus on. Get the right hashtags for your posts using hashtag research tool and you will see more people engaging with your posts.

Once you have built an audience, then you can go for facebook ads. Make sure that you have a facebook pixel on your store from the first day even if you are not doing any ads. This will capture your audience and you can target them on facebook whenever you want. Retargeting form of advertising produces the best results. Once you have mastered retargeting ads, then its probably the right time for exposing your ad directly to a new audience.

Akanksha
Orangetwig - Drive traffic to your store by social media

https://goo.gl/iyAqha
Xperteria
Shopify Expert
119 1 28

Hi there,

Have you treid using Instagram?

I advise you to try using Instagram influencers. 

Here are some simple technique that worked for me, and how I help my clients grow:

1. Reach out to Instagram influencers with following around 100K - 250K.
  2. See if there audiences matches with you.
  3. Use engagement calculator from Phlanx to determine their engagament rate. above 3-5% is good to go, below that is a big NO.
  4. See if there following have lots of empty profiles, most of them have no profile pictures. If they have lots of these profiles, then it's a RED flag.
  5. Contact atleast 3-5 influncers daily and negotitae with them on pricing, so you can get a deal that works for you.

Also, make sure you have installed Facebook Pixel as it will eventually help you to row een further and take your business to the next level using custom and lookalike audiences.

Hope that helps 🙂

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Hamza

For FREE advice or projects, please email me directly on: hamza@xperteria.com
Akanksha
Excursionist
42 0 6

Hi Anton, 

I had a look at your website. Love the clarity and visual quality. However, I'd strongly suggest that you add an About Us section. It's probably the most overlooked section. And at the same time, it's probably one of the most important one. It's important because it tells your buyers who you are and why they should buy from you. Check out this article for tips: Write an effective About Us

Don't leave out social media. Pick one or two channels (most suited for your audience) and make a conscious effort to grow your following. Although, social channels are cutting down organic reach, this will still come in handy in brand building. This is also important because, potential buyers turn to social media to figure out how genuine a brand is.

Mention the social channels on which you are present on your website. But don't forget to set them to open in a new tab. 

I'd suggest that you focus on Instagram and Facebook. Here's why: 

1. Instagram: it has the most engaged audience and is easier to grow on. Also, the traffic that comes from Instagram is less likely to bounce. 

2. Facebook: although, its organic reach is reducing, it still has the most number of active users. Potential buyers look for a brand to check how many people know of a brand and the customer service standard. Another reason why you can't leave Facebook is because of Facebook Ads. Facebook page engagement audience is one of the most effective custom audiences. 

On both these channels, content dominates. So if you continuously post engaging content with a combination of right hashtags, you're bound to grow. 

Here are some tools that'll help you grow and engage with your audience. 

1. Instagram hashtag research tool 

2. Clickable post for Instagram

3. Q-rator for content scheduling

You can get started with these tools for FREE here

If you have any questions regarding Facebook Ads, you can email me at akanksha@orng.es or post in Seller Success Facebook group. 

I hope this helps 🙂

- Akanksha 

OrangeTwig 

https://goo.gl/iyAqha
Robert15
Shopify Partner
12 0 1

Hey Guys - Just wanted to share a fresh stat from SEMrush on eComm website performance (shown in image). While the report is long, this one graphic helps tell you where to spend your time... Hint, it's not social media. There is always an exception and niche targets, but broad spends on social ads is a no-no.

I help 13 stores at the moment, combined generating $80k a month, including mine at qualitybreeds.com. Some are new and startups, while others have been around for years. I'm asked so much about getting new stores converting, I created a very affordable, turnkey report that will empower any store owner. Check it out: https://chemist.agency/product/personalized-ecomm-report/

Make it great guys, and consider the graphic I've provided!

-Robert

Project Feed: twitter.com/rztoler (see some of my shopify results as they happen)

Andrew34
Excursionist
80 0 10

And here’s the SEM rush post on the subject:

https://www.semrush.com/blog/how-leading-e-commerce-companies-drive-traffic-to-their-websites/

@Robert, if social ads are a no-no, what’s your top recommendation for a new store with a limited ad budget, who wants to see results within a few months?

Robert15
Shopify Partner
12 0 1

Hey Andrew - Depending on your product, positioning and other considerations, I would fish in smaller ponds and stay out of the ocean to begin with. Spending against countless social and adwords budgets that are likely overshadowing you only makes your efforts harder and more costly. You'll need to do much more research to find low hanging fruit with smaller budgets. It's possible don't get me wrong, just not the first play I make unless I have nothing else to work with. As the graphic I share shows, paid and social are your last performers for eComm in 2017.

By smaller ponds I mean reach inside your industry more. For instance, one of my clients is a book you might have heard of from back in the day that has been re-released, called Eat Your Peas. It's an inspirational collection of books that sold over a million copies nearly a decade ago. I was hired a while ago to revive the brand and have a new shopify site in a soft-launch at eatyourpeas.com (homepage is the only thing I haven't redesigned yet, but all other pages are done.) The site is already producing due to some residual linkage and hundreds of retailers that still stock the book nationwide.

My point to that book story is that while they'll do well on social because of the subject matter, I would rather have them spending on outlets like Christianity Today, a large christian publication company with 100's of thousands of loyal, paying subscribers. They offer print and banner ad placement for a reasonable price, and because I know the audience is the perfect demo for this book, it's a calculated risk I'm will to toss some bucks on. I'll use the graphic I attached and other research to make sure I'm placing the right ad sizes, graphics, etc. For example, based on this report, I'll might try to focus on 728x90px banner sizes with these outlets before anything else. While I don't know they perform best here, if most eComm sites are buy this size/placement it tells me they have some data to tell them that. 

Then I diversify. I find other outlets within my budget and demo to target. Like email or paid ads, you play with smaller budgets and messaging until you find traction. Once you find that traction, start doubling and tripling down on your budgets. Ask these outlets to make better deals and commitments, sponsor an event or giveaway with them and really capaitlize on their network at every turn possible. Don't be afriad to propose ideas to these outlets as many times they'll open doors for better broader connections and opportunities. After you get momentum, then you might stop by the beach one day and see how the ocean feels.

Side Note: Depending on your product, I would do some influencer marketing for quick wins too. While they're extremely popular right now (maybe too much), there are plenty out there if you have a fitting product/service. Having a hit with an influencer that has 100k plus followers can move the needle quickly.

Mega marketers, the ones you see everywhere are wonderful... But they all like to tell you the same things in general, with exception. And there is a reason for that. Because they're trying to grow their marketshare and exposure, they'll only write or talk about topics that drive traffic. They know this by looking at the data from tools like SEMrush and others. It's all about SEO. However, for most of us marketers that are successful month to month, day to day, we work hard to understand new outlets and solutions to pain points that aren't so popular and buzz wordy. One of the reasons my strategy report is so powerful is because it unearths some of these untapped resources that aren't found on blogs or with other services. This reply is just one tiny tip to a larger puzzle of success. When it's personalized for your situation things just make more sense than listening to someone else's successful tactics repeated. https://chemist.agency/product/personalized-ecomm-report/

By the way the report that graphic I shared comes from SEMrushes newest report called: Annual E-commerce Study 2017. I'd share the entire thing, but I get as a subscriber so I'm not sure I can release all on my own.

Hope that helps. Bottom-line, not all advertising has to be social or adwords. Think local, think state, think organization, think charity, think sponsorships, etc.

Make it great! Whew.

-Robert (project feed: twitter.com/rztoler)

Andrew34
Excursionist
80 0 10

Hi Robert, makes sense - thank you!