Can a custom application be an extension-only application?

Solved

Can a custom application be an extension-only application?

SylviaZ
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

I am a beginner with Shopify. 

I am currently developing for my store and I am still confused after reading a lot of the official documentation.

I would like to know if a custom application created for the store can be used as an extension-only application, or do I need to have a server?

If I create a custom application, do I have to deploy it to a server to control the version?

Thank you!

Accepted Solution (1)
Rishihuptech
Shopify Partner
653 121 131

This is an accepted solution.

Hello @SylviaZ 

To enhance security, you should create a separate  API on your server that utilizes the ACCESS_TOKEN and API_SECRET. You can then call this API in your extension. Directly using the admin API in your extension could compromise security, so it's important to keep these APIs distinct and secure. you can Host your server for API.

If you found this response helpful, please do like and accept the solution. Thanks!
Need support with Customizing your Shopify store?
Feel free to contact me at info@huptechweb.com or Visit our website Huptech Web.
Instant Shortcode Builder: Integrate customizable UI features anywhere in your store - No coding knowledge required

View solution in original post

Replies 3 (3)

Rishihuptech
Shopify Partner
653 121 131

Hello @SylviaZ 

If your custom app only has extension functionality and does not interact with the admin or require merchant configuration through the Shopify Admin UI, you do not need a server. However, if your app includes an admin UI and stores data on your own server, then you will need a server to host your app

Build an extension-only app 

If the solution presented meets your needs and addresses your query effectively, I encourage you to accept it as the chosen answer. This will acknowledge the support you received and aid fellow community members in identifying reliable and effective solutions for their similar concerns.
Thank you.

If your app only includes an extension, please refer to the documentation below for deploying your app with extension-only functionality

If you found this response helpful, please do like and accept the solution. Thanks!
Feel free to contact me at info@huptechweb.com or Visit our website Huptech Web.
Instant Shortcode Builder: Integrate customizable UI features anywhere in your store - No coding knowledge required
SylviaZ
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

Thanks for your reply. I also want to ask if I call the Shopify Admin API in an extension-only app, it means I need to include the ACCESS_TOKEN, API_KEY, and API_SECRET in the static resources. Does this pose a security issue? Is there a way to enhance security?

Rishihuptech
Shopify Partner
653 121 131

This is an accepted solution.

Hello @SylviaZ 

To enhance security, you should create a separate  API on your server that utilizes the ACCESS_TOKEN and API_SECRET. You can then call this API in your extension. Directly using the admin API in your extension could compromise security, so it's important to keep these APIs distinct and secure. you can Host your server for API.