Theme App Embed Deep Link Not Working on Shopify Mobile App

Theme App Embed Deep Link Not Working on Shopify Mobile App

darrynten
Shopify Partner
46 3 16

I followed the instructions available in the Shopify Dev documentation regarding theme app embed deep links for theme activation: https://shopify.dev/docs/apps/online-store/theme-app-extensions/extensions-framework#app-embed-block...

All works fine on desktop and mobile when logged in on a web browser.

However, when using the Shopify Mobile app from the Android App Store you do not get taken to the app embed block config section, it just takes you to the standard "Online Store" page, and QA testing gets stuck at this point as they do not know they need to do many more steps from this point to activate the extension and there's nowhere for them to see these instructions after navigating (i.e they need to click "manage all themes", select desired theme, click "customize", tap "three dots on top right", select "app embeds", enable desired embed, click save).

Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 11.53.28.png

The redirection is made with the Redirect app action, like this:

const redirect = Redirect.create(shopifyApp)

redirect.dispatch(Redirect.Action.ADMIN_PATH, {
  path: `/themes/${selectedTheme}/editor?context=apps&activateAppId=${extensionId}/${handle}`,
  newContext: true,
})

Is there a different URL structure on Shopify Mobile? Even something that will just take the user to the list of app embeds?

I also tried the following with and without newContext but ended up with the same result on Mobile (the generic Online Store page) 

redirect.dispatch(Redirect.Action.REMOTE, {
  url: `https://${shopDomain}/admin/themes/${selectedTheme}/editor?context=apps&activateAppId=${extensionId}/${handle}`,
  newContext: true,
})

Using App Bridge v3.7.9

@darrynten
Replies 5 (5)

Liam
Shopify Staff
2873 312 818

Hi Darrynten,

It does appear that you're doing everything according to the Shopify documentation. The issue might be due to the Shopify mobile app not handling the redirection properly.

Unfortunately, there's no separate URL structure for the Shopify mobile app. The URL you're using should work exactly the same on both on desktop and mobile. It's possible this might be a bug or limitation of the Shopify mobile app. I've connected with the team who owns theme app extensions to report this issue.

In the meantime, you might want to consider adding instructions for mobile users in the app or sending them an email with detailed instructions on how to navigate to the app embeds section manually.

I'll update here when I get more info from our internal dev team,

Liam | Developer Advocate @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

darrynten
Shopify Partner
46 3 16

OK, It's a bit clunky but I've added a banner in affected apps for Mobile users with instructions to go to Desktop to enable the Theme App Embeds.

@darrynten
TAGinstall
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Hello Darrynten,

Did you manage to resolve the issue with deep linking to app embeds?

TAGinstall
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Hello Liam,

Do you have an update on this issue? I'm experience the same issue (landing on Online Store page, instead of App embeds list) using App Bridge v3.7.9, with "Optimized loading for mobile" turned ON. When "Optimized loading for mobile" is OFF, all works as expected.

scapatina
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

Truly horrendous UI for mobile users. The merchant has to swipe up to see the app embed block settings - even when its auto-enabled. Please revisit this UI and fix it. It's totally broken right now.

AT THE BARE MINIMUM

Please change the toast from "[Embed name] activated" to "Please save to enable [Embed name]."