Solved

Sales tax issues outside of my state not being applied! Help! Have tried all the suggestions so far

ResoluteCBD
Excursionist
18 0 6
Help!! My store is only charging sales tax to customers in Colorado. It’s on automatic but not working! Any direction would be appreciated!
Accepted Solutions (2)

gseilei
Shopify Expert
235 28 44

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, have you checked on your setting taxes if you have any state override? or your tax regions have been set up properly?

If you want we could have a deeper look for you. Just write us at info@webmefy.com and we would love to help you.

We help you achieve your Goals! Visit us on: Webmefy.com

View solution in original post

Victor
Shopify Staff
2449 226 522

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @ResoluteCBD,

Thank you for getting in touch. Generally, the Shopify tax system will only charge sales tax to US customers in states where you have a presence that is inputted into Shopify's tax settings. I would presume that your store's address is based in Colorado, meaning that the system recognizes that you have a tax nexus here and is charging Colorado-based customers accordingly.

If you do not have a tax nexus in a state, you likely won't need to collect and pay sales taxes for orders placed from that state. A nexus is usually defined by having employees or locations in a state; we've more information on how this is defined here. We also offer a more comprehensive explanation of setting up US taxes on Shopify that you may wish to check out.

Do you have other locations or employees working in other states, or are you and your business only based out of Colorado?

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 32 (32)