Solved

Social sharing image not working

kadamczyk
Visitor
1 0 0

I have uploaded an image in Preferences, but the image is blank when I try to post a link to my store on Facebook. If I link to any other page than the main address, I get an image, but not the main shop page.

Also, I have updated the Home Page Title and Meta Description, but these changes are not showing when I post a link.

The store is https://sdivadesigns.myshopify.com/

Accepted Solution (1)
Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @21MillionCo!

Thanks for letting me know that you've already tried using the Facebook Sharing Debugger. When you use the Facebook Sharing Debugger, Facebook will typically update this information immediately. If this isn't happening, then there may be another issue at hand.

To clarify, are you referring to your store logo or a product image? Also, when you share a link, do you see an outdated image or no image at all? 

Generally speaking, the image that appears when you share a link depends on the link itself; if you're sharing a product link, then the image that appears will be your product's featured image. If you're sharing a link to your store's homepage, then the image that appears should be your store logo. If your logo isn't appearing, then this could be a theme-related issue. 

Some themes actually have a social sharing image setting within them, which can be found in Online store > Themes > Customize > Theme settings. Do you see this option there? If so, the image uploaded there will always override the social sharing image you may have added in Online store > Preferences. If your theme does not have this setting, then the image used will be the one you've added in Preferences.

However, if you aren't seeing any image at all when you sharing a link, then this may be because you are sharing that particular link for the first time. Facebook actually has a help doc on images in link shares that offers further information on why this may be the case. There, they state:

When content is shared for the first time, the Facebook crawler will scrape and cache the metadata from the URL shared. The crawler has to see an image at least once before it can be rendered. This means that the first person who shares a piece of content won't see a rendered image.

I hope this clears things up, but if you are still experiencing the same issue, please let me know which link you're trying to share, along with the name of the theme you're using. With a bit more information, I'd be happy to do some further digging!

Looking forward to your response. 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 45 (45)