Restrict Afterpay for specific items

Andy65
Tourist
3 0 2

Hi all

Is there a way to restrict payment methods for specific products.  For example not allowing Afterpay for a specific product/collection.  Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Replies 21 (21)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi Andy, 

Nick here from Shopify. 

This is a really good question, but it's not something which would be possible. The reason being is because the payment gateways apply to the checkout and not products themselves. I think your best chance for a workaround with this would be a split payment app. You can see some of the most popular split payment apps below:

I know this isn't an exact solution but due to how the system is built it's just not possible to do this natively. Hopefully, you can find a way within the split payment apps for it to work. 

Don't hesitate to ask should you have any other questions. 

All the best, Nick

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

HelloDrinks
Visitor
2 0 0

Nick, if it is available on Shopify Plus, with no issues of customising it, then it should be available as a paid feature for other plans. I have been requesting this for over 13 months now, and it seems many others are too, however Shopify are protecting their Shopify Plus Plans, which is holding others to ransom which is taking a huge hit on their bottom line!

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @HelloDrinks,

Thank you for the feedback. I will be sure to pass this along to the team on your behalf. 

Connie-21
Visitor
1 0 0

I'm new the Shopify world and still yet to go live, but we have a large range of product with little to no margin and offering ZipPay is not an option on these products given the costs of these services.  It is difficult for us to compete online if we can't restrict these products from being purchased via ZipPay or After Pay.  However, on the flip side, other products qualify for these buy now pay later solutions and it would be detrimental to remove this payment method completely for the sake of just relatively small range of products.

Would love to know if there is a solution to this issue.

BrendanAK
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Nick, 

any chance there has been an update to this Thread, offering a simpler way to restrict certain products from the Afterpay payment Gateway?

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @BrendanAK,

There is still no update on this and I, unfortunately, can't provide a time frame. Once you have a gateway set up on your store, it would make it possible to purchase all items on the store or none of them via that gateway. 

I will be sure to update this thread if this changes. 

bettyandleroy
Visitor
1 0 0

Any update on this? I have the page bookmarked and check regularly for updates just in case. It's really frustrating not being able to offer gift cards just because one payment type doesn't allow it in their contract. 

maeandjeune
Visitor
1 0 0

Surely there is an update on this now, especially as Afterpay has now upgraded within Shopify in Aus! 

Some particular items I have on my store have barely any margin and I can't offer afterpay on them as the fee is too high, 

We need an update Shopify! 

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @maeandjeune and everyone else, 

There is an Afterpay app in the Shopify App store which you can find here. While currently it only works for US based stores:

28-18-zr82z-1t7fm

It could be worth reaching out to the app developer/ Afterpay directly to ask them about any additional or diverse features within the app. You can email them directly at 

• merchantAdminUS@afterpay.com

or click the "Get support" button on the right hand side of the page. A lot of the features being discussed in the thread are Afterpay specific and not things which Shopify would have a lot of control over. 

Andy65
Tourist
3 0 2

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your reply. I will look into these apps and run past Afterpay to see if acceptable

The obvious next question is how do other Shopify stores manage this if they offer gift cards and have Afterpay - surely we cant be the only business?

Regards,

Andy

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi Andy, 

Sounds good, hopefully, you find one of the apps works to what you're looking for. 

Regarding the gift cards, once you have a payment gateway set up such as Afterpay, and you are on the Shopify Plan or above, you can sell gift cards. The gift card acts essentially as any other product would. When you fulfill an order with a gift card, the customer receives an email that contains a unique gift card code that they can use at checkout to redeem its value. You can see an example of how this might look from the screenshot below.

Shopify has a great section of information guides going through everything you need to know about gifts cards which you might find valuable and can see here

Hope this helps and answers what you're looking for. Any other questions, just let me know. 

All the best, Nick

Andy65
Tourist
3 0 2

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the reply.

The issue I have is that payment for Gift Cards by Afterpay is not allowed by Afterpay - if I am unable to restict Afterpay as payment then I will have to remove Gift Cards as an option and change our account level back to Basic.

We surely cannot be the only Shopify plan business that offers gift cards and has Afterpay - how do other stores manage this?

Regards,

Andy

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

@Andy65 wrote:

The issue I have is that payment for Gift Cards by Afterpay is not allowed by Afterpay - if I am unable to restict Afterpay as payment then I will have to remove Gift Cards as an option and change our account level back to Basic.

We surely cannot be the only Shopify plan business that offers gift cards and has Afterpay - how do other stores manage this?

Hi Andy, 

No problem at all for replying. I see what you mean. If the problem is with Afterpay directly, it might be worth reaching out to Afterpay about it? If it's something Afterpay is stopping you from being able to sell, that is their choice. The alternative could be to choose a different payment gateway. I'm not sure where you are based, but if you are in the USA, Australia, New Zealand where Afterpay is available you could look into using Shopify Payments instead. 

Shopify Payments essentially eliminates the hassle of setting up a third-party payment provider or merchant account and having to enter the credentials into Shopify. Some of the main advantages of Shopify Payments are  0% transaction fees compared to other payment gateways as well as refunds, chargebacks, payouts and more can all be managed from within Shopify. There would be no need to use an external dashboard/websites you would with third party gateways such as Afterpay. Another beneficial feature in beta with Shopify Payments is fraud protect. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

All the best, Nick

Trimly
Tourist
8 0 11

Hi there, I have a similar problem. We are running a 'made to order' service on top of our regular products. 

I reached out to Afterpay, who passed the buck back to Shopify. Shopify is telling us it's not possible. Looks like for those of us with this problem, we're stuck between a rock, a hard place and workarounds that aren't really workable. 

😞

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Trimly

I completely understand how this might be frustrating. As I mentioned in my initial reply the reason a product isn't able to be split up by payment gateways is that the payment gateways apply to the actual checkout and not products themselves. Not being able to sell gift cards with Afterpay is something they are deciding and essentially out of Shopify's control. Can I ask what country you are based in? Using a different gateway for your region could be the easiest workaround for this. I know it might not be completely ideal, but it is definitely something to consider. 

Madison_Vahle
Shopify Partner
6 0 5

What's strange is that in rewardify, (an app i use for store credit) I ABSOLUTELY am able to disable particular payment gateways. There are certain instances in which it's important to offer great prices, but also difficult to swing a 6% transaction fee (we use sezzle). Surely as mentioned, this is more a problem than just a few of us. I know I am not the only one who clearances out stale inventory but also doesn't want to take an even bigger loss with a 6% fee in order to do so?

Walker_Edwards
Tourist
7 0 12
I use Sezzle and I agree this is needed and just another instance where Shopify refuses to listen to its customers and provide a solution to an actual problem. It takes development too long to acknowledge actual problems. Even if they were to release the functionality that's been requested for years I'd guess they'd stick it behind an additional charge. It may be time to start evaluating other Shopify alternatives.
PNKBozz
Visitor
2 0 1

Did you find a solution? I want to use Afterpay and upgrade to a higher Shopify plan to use gift cards for the holidays. 

Espresoyourself
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi,

I've read the above thread and am wondering if anyone got to the bottom of this?

We are based in New Zealand and want to be able to offer Afterpay on a number of products above a certain $ threshold. 

I've followed this link :https://afterpay-online.readme.io/docs/shopify-us-afterpay-product-page-display which puts the breakdown of payments on all our products including some items for $14... 

I've spoken to Afterpay who have passed the buck to Shopify saying that Shopify have limited the redirection of payments, saying that you can't hide Afterpay when you get to the checkout.

Is there anyway to just display the Afterpay breakdown on certain products even if Afterpay will still display in the checkout for all products? It would be nice to show the separate installments on more expensive products.

Really appreciate any help on this topic in advance.

HelloDrinks
Visitor
2 0 0

It's unprofessional on Shopify's behalf not to make this available to it's store owners, and the reason is it is a feature on Shopify Plus that generates $24k per store minimum, so really they are trying to hold us to ransom, Sign up to Shopify Plus and you can have it, and if you don't sign up, well then we will provide you with an excuse about security at the checkout, even though this security risk doesn't effect members on the higher plan who are paying a minimum of $2k per month for their plan, which is locked into a 12 month contract.

MiraPatil
Excursionist
79 0 5

Hello @Andy65 ,

I know its a long time after your post, but now it is possible using new APP. 

See: https://apps.shopify.com/payfy-conditional-payments

you can hide Afterpay at checkout by product collection.

see below steps:

1) create a hide rule.

MiraPatil_0-1689576182266.png

2) give a internal use name

3) write payment method name and choose a collection.

MiraPatil_1-1689576243983.png

when any item in the cart, you will not see Afterpay at checkout

I hope this works for you.