Solved

Multiple discount at checkout

TrendX
Tourist
12 0 35

Hello, I am having an issue here. I have a promotion running on automatic discount (its 10% off every 2nd product) and I definitely want to keep this promotion (like forever). Besides that I give my customers various discount codes, but when they go to checkout, they get an error messages that they cannot apply more than one discount.  In automatic discount it says that it can't combine with other discounts - but there is nowhere to change this setting. So my question is - where and how do I change this setting? 

Thanks a lot! 🙂 

Accepted Solution (1)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3389 459 976

This is an accepted solution.

Hey everyone,

Good news! Discount Combinations are here. You can now combine discount codes (manual or automatic) and have multiple automatic discounts running at the same time. Check out our announcement to learn more!

If you have questions about Discount Combinations then please feel welcome to create a new post in the Shopify Discussions board. If you need account specific help with your discounts, then please contact Shopify Support directly.

Thank you!

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 609 (609)
ec3apparel
Visitor
1 0 1

Also a hand up for letting all Shopify plans use stackable discounts.  Kinda bad form on Shopify's part not to offer it on all plans, especially now when us "smallies" need every break we can get to recover from a pandemic (and maybe have to survive another wave).  C'mon Shopify, where's the help?

krypto
Tourist
5 0 0

My assumption is that this feature equates to a dollar amount which is being tested to see how much money this feature will extract from small business owners.  Whether or not that is considered morally correct or frustrating to the business owner.

As a business owner, I cannot blame them.  The use of stackable discounts is a tactic we would all like to use for price testing and conversion optimization.

However, I do believe leaving this one feature (oddly) out is a business tactic which is not being well received by the community.

HarrietTDD
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi,

Is there any update on this? It would be great to be able to add multiple discount if possible.

Thanks,

Harriet 

justinawrv
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi just responding to this thread to say that adding the feature for stackable discounts would be very helpful! We are offering 10% off for new email subscribers, and a huge portion of our customer base is local to Austin. We do local pick up but were having issues with the integrated pick up option for shipping being automatically set & customers out of state choosing pick up by accident. We cannot afford to purchase a 3rd party app just to rearrange shipping options. So if a local customer wants to choose pick up, they can't use any other discount codes.

CleanandSimple
Tourist
3 0 6

Completely disappointed in learning this the hard way as my customers are complaining and I've lost business because of this.. not being able to have 10% off AND free shipping on orders $25.  or running multiple discounts like this and having them BOTH be able to be applied at checkout is helping ppl lose customers!  NOT GOOD!  Why can't this be an option???

dolythgoe
Tourist
8 0 5

Try https://apps.shopify.com/stackable-discounts

HANDMADEBYCHRIS
Visitor
2 0 5
We shouldn’t have to pay extra for a basic function.

We know it’s available in third party apps and the next package up. But to pay extra $$$ for small businesses can hurt our bottom line.
Mikapy
Tourist
3 0 1

Agreed. And what’s really frustrating is this don’t recall this being explained before signing up. I’ve lost customers too. I literally had to take away the ONE automatic discount that can be setup and create a discount page. 

SpiritualM
Tourist
3 0 6

As time is going on I am seeing more and more reasons to leave Shopify and use another platform. The lack of basic features is appalling e.g. postcode shipping, stackable discounts, inclusion of product dimensions/materials etc all of these things should be included as standard. The inability to back up your product catalogue is also a let down.  Add me to the list of disgruntled customers!

HealthiestPour
Visitor
1 0 2

Hi there - has there been any update to applying stacked discounts? It would definitely be useful. I can site many personal scenarios where I would like it to apply, but think that has been done ad nauseum. Appreciate help with this as we progress toward BFCM sales and online shopping will be bigger than ever.

Helper_Tools
Shopify Partner
11 0 3

Hi there,

We just released a new Discount Stacker app (https://apps.shopify.com/discount-stacker).

The app will allow all types of discounts to be stacked as many times as needed.

Let me know if you have any questions,

- Helper Tools

bredowmax
Shopify Partner
86 1 126
Again: we don’t need this as an app. There are already dozens of apps that
do this - all of them introduce incompatibilities. We want this feature
natively.
C109
Visitor
1 0 3

Where is this feature @Trevor?

Being able to combine automatic discounts and multiple discount codes is ESSENTIAL. This looks like a years long thread and nothing has happened. 

It seems like all the dev resources have been allocated to Shopify Plus and left the regular ol' Shopify platform unattended. I wish I knew this before setting up my store. This is a big deal and by the looks of the thread you've been ignoring customer requests for three years. That's unthinkable. 

megandeleeuw
Tourist
8 1 1

I'd like to apply more than one discount to a cart at a time. The discounts are for specific products/variants.  I'm very disappointed shopify limits each cart to one discount code. The accepted solution is no viable. We don't have a budget to pay $15-30/month just for this feature. 

cerito
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi please add my vote too! I can't believe this still hasn't been added. 

AlKhaleejClinic
Tourist
6 0 4

3 Years and nothing happened. STILL NO FEATURE available. Shopify is very bad, we cannot use multiple automatic discount & neither we can use this feature. 

Will never recommend shopify to anyone. its so frustrating. For every little feature, they ask us to use 3rd party apps. 

REALLY BAD EXPERIENCE.

Mahir_Iskender
Tourist
7 0 4
Absolutely agree. Customers service is so bad when they answer questions
they have no answers and will give you generic answers. Simply features are
missing and adding multiple discounts is one of them.
Mikapy
Tourist
3 0 1

I’ve seriously considered moving my store to another platform. Been researching cause this is a major issue for retail. 

jonasgoddeeris
Excursionist
13 0 3

Please count me in as making this a native feature. 

Simple checkbox - make this discount combinable with other discounts currently active ) and warning popup (ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO ... BLABLA) should cover any risk no? 

Had higher hopes for Shopify as an agile fast deploying company ..

Inspira_Digital
Shopify Expert
135 3 5

Hi All,

I hope this brightens everyone's day we have solved multiple discounts on a single order for our client, you can read how and why we did this in our blog post here "Shopify Multiple Discounts"  I sincerely hope this offers some light at the end of the tunnel for those who are still frustrated by this issue.

We have in the article detailed the appraoch and the top line of how we achieved this, if you have any specific questions please do get in touch 

Many Thanks 

Mike & the Inspira Team 

Twiiter: http://twitter.com/inspiradigital Website Development: https://www.inspiradigitial.co.uk B2B https://www.inspiradigital.co.uk/our-services/b2b-ecommerce-on-shopify
dsamudio
Tourist
4 0 1

Just wanted to explain my situation to persuade the product team to build stacking discounts for Shopify. 

I sell 2 product, they both cost $30. My avg order is buying one product ($30). If you buy one product, you have to pay a shipping fee. In order to increase the avg purchase, I am giving a discount (2 products for $50, and on top of that I am including free shipping). 

I pretty much added friction to the single item purchase, and gave two incentives (discount + free shipping) on the double item purchase. That is why stacking discounts is something I am interested in doing. 

Hope this helps 🙂 

Inspira_Digital
Shopify Expert
135 3 5

@dsamudio we solved this for client if its of value to you https://inspiradigital.co.uk/blog/multiple-discounts-on-shopify-solved

Twiiter: http://twitter.com/inspiradigital Website Development: https://www.inspiradigitial.co.uk B2B https://www.inspiradigital.co.uk/our-services/b2b-ecommerce-on-shopify
BLKPNTS1
Excursionist
21 0 15

@dsamudio, You should be able to accomplish that by setting a FREE shipping option for orders over $50 in the shipping rates section. Then you can still use a single discount to create the budle buy for $50.
Hope this helps.

dsamudio
Tourist
4 0 1
But in that case I wouldn’t be able to provide a discount to the products?
I would only be able to provide free shipping is my understanding
BLKPNTS1
Excursionist
21 0 15

@dsamudio, no in your case it would work because the Free Shipping is a shipping rate not a discount.
I have free shipping as an option for any order over $150, and can still run discounts.
If I decided to run a free shipping weekend on any order for example I just add shipping rates manually on the day I want to start then delete it when the weekend is done.

dsamudio
Tourist
4 0 1
Yes!! Genius. Thank you so much!!!
BLKPNTS1
Excursionist
21 0 15

Glad I could help

Christy-cit
Visitor
1 0 0

I am new to Shopify, but have already seen this to be a challenge.  I want to offer 4 tiers of subscription, single purchase, monthly, 6 month with 5% auto discount and 12 month with a 10% auto discount. Since I can only provide one auto discount I will either need to have shoppers manually put in a code (which I guess I could potentially add in the descriptor line (haven't try this yet) or forego a long tern commitment discount.  

Thank for your consideration!

Inspira_Digital
Shopify Expert
135 3 5

Hi All, 

In case you missed it we have a solution ready to go for this as per my post here 

If this is close to what your looking for feel free to reach out and get in touch we can alway adapt to your needs 

Cheers

Mike

RuthH
Tourist
6 0 9

I don't know how this has been marked as 'resolved' as it's still an issue on Shopify.

We want to run an automatic discount promotion and offer a discount reward for signing up to receive newsletters at the same time, but can't.

I appreciate you have 3rd party apps to solve these solutions, but we are forever adding more apps to the site to fix issues Shopify should have by default. Adding more apps reduces the site speed and opens more security issues, as they often need to tap into all the data stored on the website.

Please let me know if this is something you are going to work on any time soon. I've already submitted a request for your URL's to not include /collections, /products, /pages etc before Google can read the Key Words we have set up in the URL's for a reason, but the requests for that feature go back years and years...but no changes have happened.

Shopify is great, but updates to the platform don't seem to exist. Not good.

hazimamniaga
Tourist
12 0 1

true. it's already 2021 but still they do nothing to solve this.

LuluBell23
Visitor
1 0 0

Seeing as it’s 2021, and still NO HELP IN RESOLVING OUR ISSUES with multiple DISCOUNT codes.

what great “APPS” is there that can help this issue?

ive downloaded a few, and NONE so far help me add free shipping & a discount. 

BLKPNTS1
Excursionist
21 0 15

Hey @LuluBell23 I believe you can get around offering free shipping in conjunction with a discount by setting the terms of FREE shipping in the shipping profiles, you can select either over a certain amount or a few other options. You can even run a free shipping weekend for example just by manually changing the profiles for a certain period of time.

Inspira_Digital
Shopify Expert
135 3 5
Free shipping can be added as a shipping option based on the standard
shipping rules for Shopify in the admin allowing other discount codes to be
applied to an order however if for some reason you need to stack multiple
discounts we have a solution to that here
https://www.inspiradigital.co.uk/blog/multiple-discounts-on-shopify-solved

Mostafa_Kamel
Shopify Partner
22 0 7

Hi everyone,

In case you missed it, Our app helps in solving this problem of stacking multiple discount codes together at one order.

Also, you can run multiple automatic discount at once to different collections/products .. etc.

Please feel free to check it and happy to hear your thoughts.

https://apps.shopify.com/coupon-stacker 

Thanks

MichelleM1
Visitor
2 0 6

Hi TyW,

The major problem I am encountering by not being able to use multiple coupons is this. I run a consignment business and need to keep track of customers credit as well as use it towards purchases. I use Rewardify and this app is great in every way except that it creates discount codes to apply their credit towards a purchase. With the 1 discount per purchase, I am unable to process a customers credit AND a discount. 

For example I have a 2 for 1 offer which I am unable to process if a customer wants to pay using their store credit.

I understand that this is a very niche example but, at the same time, I can see this being a restrictive issue with other applications.

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1315

@MichelleM1 are you not able to use draft orders for this where you can set a custom price for a line item to the desired discount amount?

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

Pokevolver
Visitor
1 0 3

Just had a very limited product drop on my site. I used a 50% off code to all of my subscribers and charged double my actual asking price in order to limit access to just my email subscribers (something we cannot do natively). I also sent a 5% off code to my most valued customers as a thank you! Instead, when they went to go check out, they got a error that they could not use both codes and then missed their chance to buy the product because it was already sold out. A massive inconvenience but it also led to them being legitimately upset at my business, for good reason, and was their first terrible experience associated with my brand!

This almost cost me my most valued customers, but to make it right I offered to buy the product from other people at a rate 20% more expensive than I was charging to get it to them. This is a basic feature that should have been included with the platform from the beginning and Shopify is a multi-billion dollar company now. What I have expressed above is a very viable reason to make this happen or at least warn Shopify users on the discount page that you cannot apply multiple discount codes (it says you cannot apply automatic discounts, but nothing about codes). Now that I see customers have been asking for it for 9 years and that this thread is 50 pages now, I am very disappointed. 

astroceanic
Visitor
1 0 3

Hi there, I just wanted to add my voice to request this feature. I am using Shopify to accept payment for virtual software training courses, and I have an automatic discount for early registration that I'd like to stack with other customer-specific discount codes. I've already promised this additional discount code to my customers, and now I'm scrambling to figure out how to actually give it to them (I assumed stacking was such a straightforward capability it didn't even occur to me it couldn't be done). Thanks!

EarthBerry
Tourist
7 0 2

Please vote me in too please. Not so they add together, but whatever deal is best for the customer. I have a special family only coupon and they can’t even check out at all because I have an item on sale. Or they’d have to drop the item.

EarthBerry
Tourist
7 0 2

I’d like to add that it seems all of the 3rd party apps are $15 a month which is uncomfortable if not impossible for a small startup

Hfreed
Tourist
4 0 1
Please be aware that all 3rd party apps are restricted to be able to do stackable discounts because Shopify do not allow it! I have tried so many thinking I had to pay for an app to facilitate this, to find out (after investing a huge amount of time) that no app can do it.

This is not the app developers fault perse, but I do wish they would sell there app from the off. WE CANT OFFER A FIX FOR STACKABLE DISCOUNTS AS SHOPIFY DO NOT ALLOW THIS FEATURE. It would save us all a lot of stress & time.
PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1315

@Hfreed wrote:
Please be aware that all 3rd party apps are restricted to be able to do stackable discounts because Shopify do not allow it! 

True in a sense, wrong in another.

The concept is misaligned with apps,  it needs to be ONE discount applied to the checkout-total that represents the final discounts of what would be from some "stack" of discounts. However calculating stuff that way just isn't something off-the-shelf apps do for all the situations merchants can dream-up. Apps mostly just want to be able to figure out the most relevant discount based on what's in the cart and pass it to checkout, or generate a simple draft-order, and be done.

This could be done with custom app solutions and draft orders , but this may disconnect from reporting depending on complexity such as having to create custom line-items.

Otherwise use Shopify Plus and checkout-scripts, if a businesses discount schemes aren't generating ROI more than $2k a month it's questionable why bother with overcomplicated schemes.

Really check the accounting here.

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

OspreyDC
Tourist
10 0 3

Almost 3 years and 54 pages of comments and still this feature is not available!

Please add my vote to this now seemingly mythical list.

coljung2
Tourist
4 0 1

It actually works with custom scripts:

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/checkout-settings/script-editor/examples/line-item-scripts#produc...

I tested and it worked... the only problem I have is that our discounts use Collections as exceptions, and the scripts above work with Tags. 

If you want to apply to ALL products it works great, same as if you want to include/exclude products based on type/vendor/tag.

Cheers!

ButtercupSoapwo
Visitor
1 0 1

I would like to add my name to the long list of shops that would really appreciate this option. 

knottyalex
Visitor
1 0 0

Has there been an update to this? 

sweetirisltdco
Visitor
1 0 1

I would like to add a vote to this feature. I want to offer one free sticker (usually $1 each) to every order. So if I add a $1 discount when a sticker is added to a cart, my customers can't use any other existing discount codes that are being offered. 

OzarkFence
Visitor
1 0 2

We would love it if there was some ability to apply logic to multiple discounts. For example: we'd like to offer everyone 15% after spending $X but also offer legacy clients 25% off everything. Ideally there would be an option to let the platform choose the most valuable discount. As it stands we just don't offer the automatic discount to appease our legacy clients. 

GWpgram
Visitor
2 0 3

Holy heck, 2 yrs and no movement on this feature. Come on Shopify!