Solved

Can you apply multiple discounts at checkout on Shopify?

TrendX
Tourist
12 0 35

Hello, I am having an issue here. I have a promotion running on automatic discount (its 10% off every 2nd product) and I definitely want to keep this promotion (like forever). Besides that I give my customers various discount codes, but when they go to checkout, they get an error messages that they cannot apply more than one discount.  In automatic discount it says that it can't combine with other discounts - but there is nowhere to change this setting. So my question is - where and how do I change this setting? 

Thanks a lot! 🙂 

Accepted Solution (1)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

This is an accepted solution.

Hey everyone,

Good news! Discount Combinations are here. You can now combine discount codes (manual or automatic) and have multiple automatic discounts running at the same time. Check out our announcement to learn more!

If you have questions about Discount Combinations then please feel welcome to create a new post in the Shopify Discussions board. If you need account specific help with your discounts, then please contact Shopify Support directly.

Thank you!

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 609 (609)
SUPERSICK
Visitor
1 0 0

Agreed, please add us to the vote for stackable discounts.

Our issue is that we send out a discount code to all customers who have left items in their bag. However we have a 5% discount running at all times this means our discount can't be added and thus the email feature becomes semi-redundant.

Is there a way that the larger discount becomes the dominant one at checkout or is that what stackable means?

HHT_LLC
Tourist
3 0 2

+1 vote for this feature. This would allow shop owners to be so creative so marketing/discounts can be highly tailored to our business' individual needs. This limited functionality prevents us from offsetting high cost of shipping, which would drive sales, without being as damaging to margins as free shipping.

This thread's been going for a couple years since and is currently at 48 pages. How long will it get before Shopify delivers?

HeatherLoveLogs
Tourist
9 0 2

Hi Trevor

Was this ever implemented?

Thanks

Heather

Nerdster
Tourist
3 0 0

This is from 2019... surely this has been implemented by now?  If not can someone give me a clue on a good workaround?

clamify
Shopify Partner
18 2 7

I don't believe it's been implemented with Shopify discounts at this time.
There are apps available that let you combine discounts on the cart page or bundle together items, depends on what you're trying to do.

Might need some more context for other workaround ideas but I hope this helped!

Nerdster
Tourist
3 0 0
I use a buy X get Y style discount and it works great, however from time to
time we offer normal discount codes for promotions, military discounts, etc.
MaryKRC
Tourist
3 0 4
You have to buy and implement another 3rd party app
Nerdster
Tourist
3 0 0

Can you suggest the easiest/cheapest one to accomplish this?

JayTee
Visitor
2 0 6
There is still no fix to this problem that I’m aware of natively in
Shopify. Hopefully they step it up soon!
julianw
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi Trevor, another vote for this stackable discounts feature. Given the amount of large scale clients on Shopify, it is both surprising and disappointing that this feature request has not gained any traction in 2 years.

I'm running 4 separate Shopify stores and am planning to launch another 4 more. My 2 biggest problems with Shopify are:

1. Non-stackable discount handling (this really is an ecom fundamental requirement)

2. Leaky bucket algorithm on storefront API results in data loss for high-volume data calls (we're headless).

ShayMD
Tourist
9 0 7

100% agreed.  Very much hurting my abilities in my business.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@ShayMD 

I've added your vote! To provide some context, when reviewing whether a feature request is viable, we don't only look at the total number of votes. The type of stores, the geolocation, the specific use cases, and a variety of other factors play into what determines what features we should work towards. We also have to consider the impact this type of feature would have, both positive, and negative, and how do we mitigate the negative outcomes, while still providing the positives. For example, this type of feature if misused could cause financial damage to the store owner as stackable discounts allow customers to virtually "cheat" the system. 

I do hope that we'll be able to see this feature added in the near future as I know many store owners would be thrilled to utilize it. If you have more feedback to add or any questions, please let me know!

Inga042876
Tourist
5 0 15
Peter
You wrote "stackable discounts allow customers to virtually "cheat" the system" That condition can only take place if shop owners do not have control over how their discounts are used. However if there is an indicator that allows shop owners to set coupon properties, like if discount is stackable, this becomes a non issue.

Speaking of impact, at least for my store not having an ability to create stackable discounts causes more severe impact than potential risk of abuse. For example, I know of at least 2 sales that I lost last week. I offer a coupon for free shipping for orders over $35, but don't want to make it automatic. Last week I ran a sale of 20% off, and two potential customers complained that they couldn't combine both offers with neither making a purchase even after I tried to mitigate it by offering to refund shipping. Who knows how many customers didn't even reach out to me and just abandoned their sessions?

So, not having this ability impacts both retailers and Shopify's bottom line.
kbeem500
Visitor
1 0 0

Please add me to the list - we are really struggling without this option.  Our store offers a Buy 4, Get 5th discount all the time and we would like to be able to give our customers an occasional x% off their total order, X% off specific items, etc in addition to the B4G5th.  

beamingsun
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Add my vote to the list please! Stacked discounts would be very helpful!

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@Inga042876 

You're right. That definitely isn't a great situation to be placed in and I'm sorry to hear that the limitations have caused an impact on your business. The example I provided is only one of many areas of concern, however; we are actively reviewing each piece of feedback provided to us so we can work towards a solution. I've added your frustrations to the feature request to help our teams better understand how this is impacting businesses such as yours. 

@beamingsun & @kbeem500 

Thank you for expressing interest! I've added your votes to the feature request. 

GlowingOrchid
Tourist
9 0 17

Hi Peter, please add my vote to the list. We are trying to implement a loyalty program and when customers redeem points for a free product they are unable to also use a general % off discount. This is a bad customer experience and also a headache for customer support. 

clayw7
Tourist
3 0 11

Hello Pete,

I'm calling BS on this too, many times over. 

If I'm controlling the code that's on me if there's financial damage.  Isn't there ALREADY a control feature on the discount code to limit the amount of times it can be used and mitigate potential for abuse?! 

Personally I want the stacking codes to assist in the tracking of merchandise I provide as samples, prizes, and donations to charities and other worthy causes - totally cost free to the customer and allows me to track and manage my products.  The last thing I need to be doing is asking charities or gift recipients to pay for the shipping because SHOPIFY can't stack two discount codes, particularly ones I WOULD BE CONTROLLING!  

Please show us the vote tally because I really think you're simply providing lip service which is very disrespectful and condescending.  

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

Hi, all.

With any feature, we have to consider how it impacts other parts of the platform, along with any possible negative outcomes it could have towards you, the store owner. While I can’t speak to whether this is an easy addition or not, I can assure you that each and every piece of feedback you’ve provided here in this thread has been added to the feature request. 

Beyond this, I am unable to provide any further insight, or context beyond your feedback has been shared internally with our product team for discussion/review.

clayw7
Tourist
3 0 11

Pete,

Can you take down the "solved" tag next to the discussion thread starter?  I'm calling BS on that too. 

Unless you define "solved" as providing lip service and no real solution. 

I envision "solved" will feature a check box that simply states "Free Shipping" alongside and in addition to the discount option that we select.  One provided by Shopify and not some third-party, extra payment application that's a hassle to install, update, or maintain.

It's a good way to get people to think you've actually accomplished something positive however, even if it's not true.

Thanks ~ Your Customers

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@GlowingOrchid 

I've not tested these apps myself, nor was I able to find a free option, however; Upsell Cross-Sell Smart Tool & Selly United are a few apps that have been recommended that could help with this.

@clayw7 

I hear what you’re saying, and agree how the post being marked as solved can be misleading. To provide some context, when an author makes a post, they can mark a reply as solved. In this case, the original author felt the context I had provided addressed what they were looking for, which is why the post appears as solved.

appreciate that you feel my responses aren’t up to par with what you’re expecting, and for that, I do apologize. I understand that this feature is needed by quite a few people, which is why I actively work towards engaging with every poster who wishes to have their vote added to our feature request list. I know this doesn’t provide an immediate solution; however; adding the votes to the request is the best step I can take to ensure that your voice is heard when our developers are making improvements to the platform.

MSCA
Visitor
2 0 2

Any chance we get this feature before Black Friday season starts this year? It would make a huge difference in our sales.

Please add my vote.

Also, it's crucial that coupons work with automatic discounts for example Buy 2 Get 1 Free automatically and then people who are in a VIP email list could also apply a coupon on top of that.

Inga042876
Tourist
5 0 15
@ MSCA Unfortunately probably not, Shopify doesn't cares about our feedback, there are 5 pages of requests for this feature going back to March. And I've seen Peter and others provide same standard answers to user comments on their Facebook ad pages. Most merchants see it as a problem, but i agree with the earlier comments that Shopify loyalty is with their 3d party vendors. They would rather work on cool sounding things like video and 3d that most of us do not need and would never use.
Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@EMARKETKW 

I've added your vote!

@MSCA 

I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to provide a timeline for when a feature would be added to the platform. I have stressed the urgency to our products team to help increase the chances of this feature getting developed and implemented as quickly as possible. With that, I've also added your vote to the existing feature request. 

GlowingOrchid
Tourist
9 0 17

Hi Peter

Where can we see how many votes have been added to the feature request and how it compares to other feature requests?

GlowingOrchid
Tourist
9 0 17

Hi @Trevor 

I use the Upsell and Cross-sell app and it actually causes conflicts with my other discount codes. Someone clicks on an upsell, and then they cannot use their VIP discount code and I get complaints and abandoned carts because they get an upsell to save $2 when their 10% discount code would provide much more discount, rendering the upsell useless if it can't be stacked. So I'm paying for an upsell app that I can't utilize to it's full potential. Sure I win sometimes by customers just checking out without using their % off but that's not great for a long term customer experience. 

renwill
Excursionist
18 0 15

Found the perfect app by Union Pixel that provided my store with multiple options and would not have had an issue paying the $19 a month but...... like GlowingOrchid 

stickermagic
Visitor
1 0 1

I'm just in the process of migrating a site from a self-hosted Zen Cart to Shopify. I can't quite believe that you're allowed only one automatic discount at a time. Now I'll have to email my regular customers with voucher codes instead, and they'll have to remember to apply it each time.

Not sure why this thread is marked as "solved" either...

SeauxGleaux
Visitor
1 0 1

I would also like this feature. This post is over a year old and this still is not an option! This one feature has me looking at other platforms because my business NEEDS stackable discounts.

Vesna
Tourist
6 0 7

Hi! Are you able to provide your specific use case? It’s those “stories” that are actually really helpful in development. My hope is Shopify can read those and really get a clear picture of what’s being asked. 

one workaround for my shop is I offered free shipping on a specific item — you can do that in the shipping options and then an overall discount code was able to be applied. Not the most flexible but!

Matchready
Visitor
1 0 1

It is now May 2020 - Pandemic fully engaged and still no benefits when it comes to an app or feature upgrade with stackable codes/discounts by customers. This to me is crazy. I have now launched a high-end retail company on the last of the modern CMS Commerce platform for the masses and only one that doesn't have this solved. Shopify, I can't beleive this feature wasn't solved back in 2016. It's now 2020. Peter did they fire you for being a whistleblower. 

jadacornia
Visitor
1 0 0
Hi Peter! I too am wanting to be able to stack 2 discounts. For sales purposes!
SandeshPrasanna
Visitor
2 0 3

Hi Peter

I would like to be able to offer an automatic discount Buy X and Get Y for FREE and also provide an additional fixed or percent off discount.

Currently, I'm not able to set it up as Shopify doesn't allow to add discount coupon if an automatic discount is applied. 

Please provide me a solution for this.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@Inga042876 

Regretfully, I'm not able to provide an ETA on when this feature would be implemented into the platform; however; I can say that this specific request is being considered. Creating and adding new features can take some time as a variety of variables need to be considered. I would recommend keeping an eye on our Changelog as it's the most up to date place for any changes made to the platform. 

@SandeshPrasanna 

Sadly, I wouldn't be able to provide a native solution for this specific case due to the limitations of the platform and the discount area. You can look into using Upsell apps, which may help provide a more desired outcome while our teams look into getting this feature implemented. 

ShayMD
Tourist
9 0 7

Please add me to the list requesting the ability to make one discount code do multiple discounts.  For instance.  I would like to create a discount code to give out (and for customers to have to enter at checkout) that allows for a percentage off of their order AND Free Shipping.  It seems almost unreasonable that thi isn't already an option as I am certain most people would want it.

CeeSmart
Visitor
2 0 5

This is a must have option. There really is nothing I can find more important for my business & my customers. I offer the same as most, 10% auto and an email signup discount incentive for 15%, combined 25% off, very reasonable, completely unusable. 

If I change the auto discount to 25% I lose the email incentive and the email popup app service I do pay for is therefore a pointless marketing tactic. 

If I change the email discount to 25%, its a one time deal and negates customer returning in the future.

The object of a discount is to gain & retain customers while capturing their information for marketing purposes. Without the ability to combine discounts, all this is a waste.   

I've seen this problem with the same response going back 4 years or more without solution. This is an obvious drawback to sellers and I don't believe you can find a more significant issue. 

I think I can speak for everyone here in saying,  NO more deciding, we need this NOW! PLEASE! GET'ER DONE! PLEASE! ASAP! YESTERDAY! 

LeoLindermans
Visitor
1 0 2

Absolutely agree - we need this asap. I've just lost a customer because she wasn't able to use a discount code on top of the automatic discount (3+1). There's no logical reason why you wouldn't allow to combine promos like "2+1" with % discounts? These are completely different types of discounts and should be allowed together!

Crystalwhite
Visitor
1 0 5
I just opened my page and realized shopify does not allow customers to stack coupons, I am about to start looking for other sites because of this.. I want to offer free shipping plus 10%off.. do you have a time frame when this could be available?
Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@GlowingOrchid @CeeSmart @LeoLindermans @Crystalwhite 

For starters, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, frustrations, and use cases for why getting this feature added is imperative to your businesses. I understand the urgency behind why you need this feature, and while I wish I had a better answer, I'm afraid that I don't have an update to share on when this feature will be added to the platform. I've added your feedback to the existing feature request to show our developers there is further interest in getting this added as soon as possible. 

Lew_Esses
Visitor
2 0 1

Please add me to the list as well. Not offering tiered discounting is a major issue when it's pretty standard in the ecomm industry.

ccoppenbarger
Shopify Partner
5 0 2

Add me to the list of needing this requested feature as well. We have this type of feature that we're migrating from WooCommerce. This should be standard and would not be that hard to code, honestly.

GlowingOrchid
Tourist
9 0 17

We appreciate being heard, Peter

This feature is quite crucial for us to be able to integrate our retention strategies. We have Loyalty points, we have one time discounts, we have physical mailed personalized discounts and discounts awarded for posting photo reviews,  but none of these can create a proper incentive for the customer if they can only use one discount at a time. Stacking discounts is the missing piece of our puzzle, and without it, we are unable to utilize the services provided by many 3rd party Shopify apps we pay for. A timeline would be extremely helpful because with one we could deliberate whether or not it's worth completely overhauling our retention strategy, or waiting out the development process.

As you can see since my comment, we've had many others voice their opinions on the matter as well. I guarantee there are hundreds if not thousands or tens of thousands more who would jump at the opportunity to take advantage of such a feature. Perhaps they stay silent because the Buy X get Y discounts were released and they are quite useless without discount stacking so it's assumed that discount stacking would be the next logical release in the pipeline...

Looking forward to your reply,

The Glowing Orchid Team

Inga042876
Tourist
5 0 15
Peter
Developers do not set priorities, they write code. I suspect that this is a standard answer to end this thread with no action expected any time soon. It is very discouraging to see that Shopify does not care about businesses on its platform that are the reason behind it's success. Feels like this community is a huge waste of time, no one is listening to our feedback anyway.
ShayMD
Tourist
9 0 7

Couldn't agree more.  What's most discouraging is that most of us switched to Shopify as it was supposed to be superior to other platforms and easier to use.  This isn't a large ticket change and could easily be implemented.  Why Shopify is delaying a "decision" is beyond me.  I have several clients that I help manage Shopify stores on.  Most are considering a change in platform vendor now.  

Please, Shopify, your customers are speaking, you ought to consider listening AND reacting.

tunnelvision
Tourist
8 0 9

It's a super easy feature to implement codewise. In case you guys don't understand why Shopify is not adding tiered discount options is because there are many vendors who developed apps that have this feature as the main selling point. They will be very disappointed if Shopify implements it for free, to say the least.

GlowingOrchid
Tourist
9 0 17

Name a free app that offers that, or the best paid one that does?

Tom_and_Juli
Explorer
52 0 15

I am very much worried this is the case. They just need to milk us. 

Pretty crazy

Izabela_Leskow
Tourist
9 0 16

I too would like to add my vote to having this feature in Shopify. It's incredibly frustrating not being able to offer customers different discounts depending on the type of product. I would like to offer my customers 20% off Personalised Gifts and 30% off everything else in store for the next few days. I have yet to find a solution that can adequately do this! 

rakheecandles
Tourist
5 0 27

I was hoping there would already be a solution to this but unfortunately not. I would like to throw my hat in the ring and vote for stackable discount codes. I have a loyalty scheme that rewards customers with coupon codes. Unfortunately, these codes can't be used with any existing offer (eg buy one get one free, etc) which means they're useless and actually provides a negative experience.

Most loyalty schemes work in this way and you have 50+ apps on the Shopify app store that do this, yet fundamentally the feature is broken because you can't stack discount codes. It wouldn't surprise me if most the people here wanting this feature have found this broken customer journey through one of the loyalty apps you offer (and generate revenue from) in the Shopify app store. To me that doesn't seem fair or reasonable, I'm really surprised the Shopify product team have not prioritised this, to me this isn't a new feature, but a bug and a broken customer experience. 

IslandLiving
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, please add me to the list as well. I need to set a Christmas promotion where there's multiple sales on various ranges eg save 10% on baskets, 20% on cushions, 30% on mirrors etc. I can't see how I can implement this without going through each single product manually. This will take ages. So it would be great if there was a feature that allowed multiple discounts at the same time.