Solved

Can you apply multiple discounts at checkout on Shopify?

TrendX
Tourist
12 0 35

Hello, I am having an issue here. I have a promotion running on automatic discount (its 10% off every 2nd product) and I definitely want to keep this promotion (like forever). Besides that I give my customers various discount codes, but when they go to checkout, they get an error messages that they cannot apply more than one discount.  In automatic discount it says that it can't combine with other discounts - but there is nowhere to change this setting. So my question is - where and how do I change this setting? 

Thanks a lot! 🙂 

Accepted Solution (1)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

This is an accepted solution.

Hey everyone,

Good news! Discount Combinations are here. You can now combine discount codes (manual or automatic) and have multiple automatic discounts running at the same time. Check out our announcement to learn more!

If you have questions about Discount Combinations then please feel welcome to create a new post in the Shopify Discussions board. If you need account specific help with your discounts, then please contact Shopify Support directly.

Thank you!

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 609 (609)
Kevin_Wells
Excursionist
14 0 21

Not having this feature will be the death of my Point of Sale subscription.  There is no way I can run my multi-million dollar retail store in an environment where I can't provide more then one discount to a customer.  We have a rewards program and need to be able to allow our customers to use their rewards.  As of right now, they say to me:

Customer: "Hi, I understand you have a special going on right now but I can't use my coupon for my rewards as it keeps telling me that it can't with an automatic discount?"
Me: "Yeah, sorry but you are shit out of luck until Shopify gets off their asses and implements a feature that everyone has been asking for for years."

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

@Kevin_Wells wrote:

Not having this feature will be the death of my Point of Sale subscription.  There is no way I can run my multi-million dollar retail store in an environment where I can't provide more then one discount to a customer. 

We have a rewards program and need to be able to allow our customers to use their rewards.

Shopify does not have a rewards program feature for customers ; nor a native store-credit.

Are you implementing a rewards program only through discount codes(coupon)? thus locking out normal discount usage?

Did you research alternatives approaches that would free up discounts for normal sales usage: draft orders? gift card? special inventory|pricing? other?

This is the level of detail in use cases most merchants are completely omitting that a platform like shopify needs to know for such a feature to exist and to be applicable to their use cases.

Not having this feature will be the death of my Point of Sale subscription

Nothing wrong with that if it's best for your business, after all shopify is ecommerce first and still maturing in retail it's not a POS first solution like other software like lightspeed or revel. So it's not uncommon to use one system for retail and tie it to shopify for the online experience through the apis or integration apps.

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

Kevin_Wells
Excursionist
14 0 21

@PaulNewton 

We are 50% ecommerce and 50% POS.  It applies to both.  And any app, as already highlighted, allows you to manipulate the discount codes at the cart stage but not at checkout.

In regards to rewards, we use Smile.io.  It is an automated solution via discount codes.  We do not issue them manually and there is no gift card issue option with them.

Again, not POS specific.  The POS has a crap ton of limitations and issues so we are well aware of what Shopify is and isn't.  We have been with Shopify for over 10 years.

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

@Kevin_Wells wrote:

nd any app, as already highlighted, allows you to manipulate the discount codes at the cart stage but not at checkout.

You may want to look at POS "email cart" feature as a way to cross those two worlds to start instore for scanning product but processes online in the situation of a customer needing to use rewards-coupons and a discount instore.

Rough overview, modifying the notifications sent url to be to the /cart?add url adding items(not a checkout-permalink) , or maybe with the return_to  parameter; or possibly in tandem with editing the created draft order manually or automating such an edit.

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

Kevin_Wells
Excursionist
14 0 21

@PaulNewton 

@PaulNewton wrote:

@Kevin_Wells wrote:

nd any app, as already highlighted, allows you to manipulate the discount codes at the cart stage but not at checkout.

You may want to look at POS "email cart" feature as a way to cross those two worlds to start instore for scanning product but processes online in the situation of a customer needing to use rewards-coupons and a discount instore.

Rough overview, modifying the notifications sent url to be to the /cart?add url adding items(not a checkout-permalink) , or maybe with the return_to  parameter; or possibly in tandem with editing the created draft order manually or automating such an edit.

I am sorry but I am not sure which part you are not understanding but I will repeat once again for you.  WE WANT A MULTIPLE DISCOUNT OPTION AT CHECKOUT FOR ONLINE.  We are well aware of how we can send carts to a customer's email.  We already told you that we don't manually apply discounts for our customers or issue manual discounts.  These discounts are based on our monthly sales and reward discounts.  

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

@Kevin_Wells wrote:

I am not sure which part you are not understanding but I will repeat once again for you. WE WANT A MULTIPLE DISCOUNT OPTION AT CHECKOUT FOR ONLINE. 

Well yeah that's thread title why get mad at someone because they are being helpful and sharing alternatives you or other merchants can find useful , this is not some binary all or nothing scenario.

Merchants deserve to be informed of possibilities and can choose to take action with alternatives today instead waiting for some wishful tomorrow that may never come.

Kevin_Wells
Excursionist
14 0 21

@PaulNewton 

@PaulNewton wrote:

Well yeah that's thread title why get mad at someone because they are being helpful and sharing alternatives you or other merchants can find useful , this is not some binary all or nothing scenario.

Merchants deserve to be informed of possibilities and can choose to take action with alternatives today instead waiting for some wishful tomorrow that may never come.

I am not mad at you. 🙂  All the "alternatives" that you have provided as a Shopify partner were not even feasible presentations as they didn't address anything that is of concern.  Merchants deserve to be informed of alternatives as long as they actually address the concern at hand.  

Above and beyond that, you keep providing more advanced alternatives which are directed to those with Shopify Plus accounts at $2000US/month+ in fees.  Most of us, if not all in this thread, are not subscribes to Shopify Plus.

chengthao
Visitor
1 0 0

Any updates on this yet? Maybe give this topic another nudge to Shopify creators? This would be an amazing addition. Thanks.

LizzieS
Visitor
3 0 0

Hello

Yet another voice to add for the votes for this please. Same issue as the original poster. We want to allow auto discounts on 2nd or 3rd item, but also be able to apply seasonal codes/offers.

Website is etowine.com

Thanks

Lizzie

Derek_Morin
Shopify Expert
216 1 34

@TrendX Well said. Our app also gets many requests for multiple Shopify's automatic discounts in the same order. We do offer an alternative, using Custom Deals like 10% off A + 20% off B, or combining more complex deals. Alternatively, customers can override an automatic discount with a manual coupon, here's how.

2022-03-30 10_53_44-Buy 5 get 1 free + 10% off whole order – Automatic Discount.png

MarkMusgrave
Tourist
4 0 9

...1 year on from this post stating that you're collecting demand for this fundamental feature, and it still hasn't been done. This is such a basic thing. I've taken a look at 3rd party options and most of them seem to apply the discount at the basket stage (because the checkout page is locked down)...which then makes it confusing for customers to know how to apply the discount if they go straight to checkout. "Well remove the ability for them to just go straight to checkout" I hear you say, but sending customers to the basket every time is another step, another click, another opportunity to drop off. Customers should be able to add and stack discount codes in the basket AND at the checkout page. When adding a discount code, it should ask me if I want it to be able to be used in conjunction with other codes. I'm new to Shopify and I'm so disappointed that something so basic and so important is being ignored. Come on guys, sort it out!

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

@MarkMusgrave wrote:

, but sending customers to the basket every time is another step, another click, another opportunity to drop off.

Versus not giving them a way to apply a discount at all so the drop off happens in checkout..

Until such time as a cleaner solution is available you need to examine that logic and prioritize some ab testing to confirm the conversion rate for one approach versus the other.

MarkMusgrave
Tourist
4 0 9
Agreed that it should be at the basket stage as tandard. I was stating that
it should be at baskey AND checkout to cover all bases. Forcing customers
to have to go to the basket stage will also allow me to add a non-mandatory
field asking the customer how they discovered my brand too. Which you also
cannot do on the locked down checkout page (which you can even on
squarespace!) and is useful info.
PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

@MarkMusgrave wrote:
.. allow me to add a non-mandatory
field asking the customer how they discovered my brand too. Which you also
cannot do on the locked down checkout page (which you can even on
squarespace!) and is useful info.

It is possible to add fields to checkout for Shopify Plus stores through the checkout.liquid template

PAXEL
Visitor
2 0 1

Add me to the list of merchants that need this feature.  It is not resolved.

DarraghArkansas
Visitor
1 0 3

We need this for our store also. We often have BxGx promos that work really well through automated discounts. But we need to be able to offer $10 off in coupons in advertisements as well to gain new customers. 19 pages of comments over a year on this thread and no answers. Please add my vote to this feature, and please remove the designation that this issue is resolved. Thanks.

GourdeMorning
Excursionist
46 0 7

Definitely need this feature as well.

RAID-Shawn
Shopify Expert
18 0 3

Hey guys,

I just wanted to say I completely understand where y'all are coming from at this juncture where you'd like to offer multiple discounts but can't because of the limitations currently. I'm sure Shopify is working on it and it may take some time.

However in the meantime, if you'd like to be able to run multiple discounts for now with an App, we might be able to help with that.

Our app helps you run discounts on a product to product basis:

image.png

We developed this feature because we understand some of the pains of merchants trying to achieve multiple discounts on a store. Besides that, if you're keen on trying out our app we'd love to help you really get into it to see it work for you first, so I'd like to personally extend the trial period for you from 14 days to a month. Feel free to let me know if you're keen! You could message me through the app as well so I know you came in from this thread.

RAID Funnels 

leochucl
Visitor
1 0 0

may I know what App is it?

renwill
Excursionist
18 0 15
Not sure who you are asking but I am one who posted an app. We are using
Ultimate Special Offers by Pixel Union.
Daniel808
Explorer
60 2 22

Blows my mind that this isn't a feature yet.

Smile Rewards App - One of the most popular apps on Shopify (and a great app at that). Completely redundant because of these pointless restrictions.

At the very least it could be limited to one manually entered discount code + one automatic discount. That would be a start.

Come on Shopify, its been years...

Risa
Shopify Partner
327 16 39

@Daniel808 

App Selly can offer multiple automatic discounts for your store:

https://apps.shopify.com/selly

It also has an option to enable discount code input in cart, so that if customers have a discount code from Smile or other app, they can apply it right there.

Then a combined discount is generated at checkout.

★ SELLY UNITED - The front solution to increase sales for online store and POS - https://apps.shopify.com/selly
Daniel808
Explorer
60 2 22

@Risa 

I appreciate the response, and whilst your app does appear to get the job done, I will not pay for it. Not because I don't think you deserve it, but because in doing so I'm supporting Shopifys underhand tactics of withholding such a basic feature. I'd sooner leave Shopify than have to pay for something that should be included as standard, especially given that Shopify has ignored the hundreds of requests we have made over 8 or so years.

Also, I prefer the cleanness and simplicity of the default automatic discount. I'm not a fan of pop ups/buttons/discount tables on products etc. Just want a simple discount added in the cart, nothing else.

Risa
Shopify Partner
327 16 39

@Daniel808 

Thank you for your feedback.

The "pop ups/buttons/discount tables" are optional as they can be hidden.

★ SELLY UNITED - The front solution to increase sales for online store and POS - https://apps.shopify.com/selly
sprabhat2005
4 0 0

Almost all eCommerce companies are giving multiple discount coupons to their customers. How can we compete with them, missing of these features force me to move on wordpress.

Daniel808
Explorer
60 2 22

Thought I found a free app to solve my problems. I was wrong. Shopify is even limiting developers who are trying to help.

https://apps.shopify.com/discount-4

Screenshot 2020-03-31 at 22.23.40.png

Anicgarr
Visitor
1 0 0
Me too. This is a basic feature that is needed. I am a new store and definitely am considering finding a non -Shopify option.
PS1231
Visitor
1 0 0

this is pretty basic  

zhanwang
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Peter - I'm new to Shopify and i set up an automatic 10% promo code for my products and at the same time i'm offering friends and family 15% off and the website doesn't give our customers the option to use the higher promo option? Question: how can the system automatically take the greater discount or can customer take off the automatic promo? 

Tanya_S
Visitor
1 0 0

I'm really interested in this feature too. Ok, customer can't add 2 different discounts. But it is ridiculous that customer can't use the greater discount... 

Rohmine
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Peter

I see this topic was discussed January 2019.

Has there been any development concerning stacked discount codes?

Kind regards

simpletreasures
Visitor
1 0 0
I assume that stacking discount codes still isn't an option since I can't find any settings for it?
thochmuth
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi Peter! I'd love to have this feature as well! Any update on when this may be available?

jmpflows
Visitor
1 0 1

I'm having a hard time understanding why this is not an option - coming from Etsy (where is part of their standard promotional platform to layer 2 discounts if you wish) I'm pretty shocked I cannot easily do this. I am used to offering a discount on promoted items and free shipping to those that qualify - now my option is to have customers contact me for a shipping refund?? That's not very professional. Please add my vote to get this option implemented and fast.

fineapplevegan
Visitor
2 0 5
Not sure if this helps anyone but we've found a workaround that is working for us in the meantime as far as free shipping goes. We always run promotional discount codes and we're using the built-in conditional shipping rates to offer free shipping on orders of $50 or more. We fulfill our own packages and dropship some apparel items and it works even if they ordered a combination of products in addition to the coupon code. Obviously this still doesn't solve stacking codes but this at least works for the time being as far as free shipping is concerned.
Gary195
Visitor
1 0 0

We need this feature too. It is incredible that Shopify doesn't allow to use multiple discount codes at the same time.  It would help merchants a lot during this pandemic. Please give us an answer

Thank you

Best

normdouglas
Tourist
3 0 8

I've been a professional web developer for 20 years... I run a number of large online shops using OpenSource platforms... I'm helping my brother run a Shopify site... I'm completely baffled why this isn't a feature of Shopify.
Not even simple multibuy discounts on the same product?
I recommended my brother use Shopify because I'd heard how mature it had become... but this is just astounding.
The Shopify ecosystem appears to be structured to encourage the purchasing of "apps" to extend what at times should be standard features.
Further... the pricing strategy of many of the apps to have a monthly subscription... I've never seen this in the "app/extension" world, maybe for updates, but not just for a once-off purchase.
Shopify users... let me assure you that many of these features you want are standard fare in virtually all OpenSource e-commerce platforms.
Please Shopify... add some simple functionality to your otherwise very good platform.

Nutracelle
Tourist
5 0 4

This, this, this and the limit of 100 variants, which is also just shocking. Oh, and a blog that doesn't allow you to add product listings. Shopify is literally an e-commerce platform with a blog function that has no built-in way to promote the product you are blogging about. INSANE.

And no multi-currency at checkout. It's 2020 and we have to use a currency exchange app that changes the amount through checkout to the store's country currency - freaking US customers out - or pay $3k a month CAD for shopify plus which forces you to maintain a completely separate store. 

Their sales team will promise you engineering time, savings on apps, seamless duplication of your store, a dedicated "shopify success specialist' - and then you will never hear back and none of the functionality you were promised by their commissioned salesperson even exista. But they locked you in to a contract, so sucks to be you. I used to love shopify, but they have turned into a predator trying to squeeze every last penny and bleed dry their customers. 

When was the last time shopify announced a new feature to improve functionality of their platform for their loyal businesses? hahaha

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

@Nutracelle 

Oh, and a blog that doesn't allow you to add product listings

A native picker would be nice but this is a theme based feature you can get with just customizing the blog templates to output a product component whenever you have a product link, or use the shopify buy button embeds

And no multi-currency at checkout. 

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/payments/shopify-payments/multi-currency

When was the last time shopify announced a new feature to improve functionality of their platform for their loyal businesses? hahaha

Multiple times a month https://changelog.shopify.com/

Nutracelle
Tourist
5 0 4

Yea, I get that Paul. The change log, really? 

So your Shopify sales agent told us the only way to allow our customers to pay in their own currency was for us to upgrade to shopify plus, which was over $4k CAD with apps and didn't function as promised & didn't get any of the support promised. 

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

Yes the changelog it's the cleanest way for merchants to know what's going on platform wide in regards to new features.

So your Shopify

I'm a partner not a rep

sales agent told us the only way to allow our customers to pay in their own currency was for us to upgrade to shopify plus, which was over $4k CAD with apps and didn't function as promised & didn't get any of the support promised. 

If your not using shopify payments, or have some extenuating circumstance then ShopifyPlus may be neccesary to consolidate sales internationally in different currencies.

If you feel like your not getting the support you need with ANY service, first review your terms they may not contain what you think they do especially if that $4k you referenced is the yearly amount you negoiated and not the monthly.

Then lean on that specific services contacts as only you and them can create a different outcome, goodluck.

Beyond that to help merchants in this thread, stay focused on the multiple discount issue.

Not applicable

two years since the previous request, how do we still not have this?

I need to be able to drive traffic with discount codes and such, but I have certain products, such as my hand-blown shot glasses, that I want to offer set discounts for, such as, $15/each or $12.50/each for 4 or more, but if I do that, they cant use the code that brought them to the site in the first place.

I cant imagine how this is so complicated that two years its still barely a conversation.  I sure as hell dont want to have to spend $10/month plus on some shady app to let me do what should be pretty basic stuff.  I guess thats the drawback to shopify, isn't it, they don't include a bunch of basic features then make you buy subscriptions to third party apps that keep raising the price of your website.

bredowmax
Shopify Partner
86 1 126

2 years later - I need this as well. In a raffle, we gave away a free product and of course don't want to charge delivery fee for it. So the plan was to give away a code that reimburses 1x the purchase value of the product but at the same time also makes delivery for free at the same time.

First idea was to just combine these two options into one code - nope, doesn't work.
Second idea was to edit the order manually after it has been placed - nope, doesn't work.

Come on. Please do something about this 😕

Vesna
Tourist
6 0 7

I do not believe that these options are a good customer experience at all. If I am reading the threads accurately then this feature request is almost a decade old? Surely it must be at the top of the list soon? 😉 I have not been in e-commerce that long comparatively but I think it is expected that providing a discount after spending X amount and auto-applying free shipping to the order is pretty straightforward

@Trevor wrote:

Hey, there!

Peter here from Shopify Support. 

At this time, Shopify doesn't currently offer "stackable" discounts in that, only one discount code can be used per order. That said, I know this is a wanted feature by many and something I'd love to see added to the platform. For this, I've gone ahead and added your vote to the existing feature request to show our teams there is further interest in implementing this in a future update. 

In the meantime, if you're subscribed to the Shopify plan, then you could consider offering your customers a gift card with the balance of the discount code you wish to offer them. Alternatively, you could partially refund their orders or use apps like Locksmith to lock down specific marked down products so that only your preferred customers can access the discounted prices. 

If there's anything else I can help with please don't hesitate to reply back and I'll happily help out!

All the best,

Peter
Shopify Support

suziguitar
Visitor
2 0 5

Add my vote too. Shopify not having this is baffling. I'm loosing business because of this. I have a customer with a huge order in their cart right now who can't use their personal discount code because I have a 10% off sale on everything today. What am I suppose to do? I don't need it in some time in the future, I need it now. 

Vesna
Tourist
6 0 7
Yes! Excellent use case
PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

@suziguitar make a draft order to quickly solve pricing rule conflicts like these.

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/orders/create-orders

For shopifyPlus plans - https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/sell-online/wholesale/channel/orders/process-orders

If you have  repeat VIP customers with a different pricing ruleset  consider running a separate set of priced-inventory for those customers and use a service to keep stock in sync with the regular items.

This can be similar to a wholesale setup without the enterprise wholesale channel

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/sell-online/wholesale

Not applicable

it would be hard to imagine a more ghetto and convoluted methodology for something that should be simple, rule based, and automated.  something like that deeply detracts from the customer experience as well, and just seems like apologist justification for what is a simple feature that is standard on competing platforms, that the shopify community has been begging for for a decade.

we dont want a work-around, we want it to work.

aj007
Excursionist
33 0 71

we don't want a work-around, we want it to work.

Couldn't agree more!

bredowmax
Shopify Partner
86 1 126
This thread appears as ‚solved’ but it isn’t. Merchants, next time you are in contact with Shopify support - mention that you really need a solution to this. The more of us raise the topic the more likely they will listen - I hope