Adding a txt file to root level of shopify (Google Analytics - reclaiming account)

okw
Excursionist
31 0 2

Hi,

I'm trying to reclaim our Google Analytics, for some reason we lost access to it (keep asking us to sign up as if we never established an account). We reached out to Google Support, they said that they contacted the account owner, but I did not receive any email from them at any of my accounts. (I have always been the only one who had access to the analytics) And the other method they proposed, was for me to upload a text file to the root level of our Shopify, which I am having a hard time with. Any idea how I can do that or any idea the best way to reclaim a google analytic account? Thanks!! 

Replies 33 (33)

Jay_
Shopify Partner
148 10 25
Hi there,

A good way to deal with is to upload the txt file to the setting/files page.
Then create a redirect from yourdomain.com/the-google-txt-file-name to the direct link of the uploaded txt file. That helped me verify my Shopify account.

A different way to do it would be to upload a txt file in your domain names dns settings.

Does this help you?
Jay Friedmann | Developer @ Stronger eCommerce
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Want a skilled Shopify developer? Reach out at jay@strongerecommerce.com
iaincalvert
Tourist
8 1 1

@Jay01 This was super useful. Thanks for replying to the original comment.

Helping Direct To Consumer Brands Sell More Online Since 2003
Callum06
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi, I am not sure where/how to redirect my file to https://sport.lol/ads.txt.

Thanks Callum

Jay_
Shopify Partner
148 10 25

Hi There,

Were you able to upload it in your settings/files?

Jay Friedmann | Developer @ Stronger eCommerce
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Want a skilled Shopify developer? Reach out at jay@strongerecommerce.com
Callum06
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi I have figured out my problem.

Thanks Callum

Witsman_Marketi
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hi,

I am dealing with the same issue. I have uploaded the txt file to my settings/files. How do I create the re-direct? What is the next step?

Thank you!

RyanAaronGreen
Tourist
4 0 8

Hi Witsman_Marketi,

From reading the posts above, it sounds like you're going to want to use Shopify's redirect tool (Online Store > Navigation > Url Redirects (Right under the heading of that page) and click Create URL Redirect. 

The redirect "from" will be the URL that Google is trying to search, while the redirect "to" will be the url of the file, which you should be able to determine in your settings/files. 

Hope that helps!

iaincalvert
Tourist
8 1 1

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this. Worked beautifully.

Witsman_Marketi
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Yes it was very helpful and it worked, thank you! It is so simple in the end, not sure why I didn't think of that before. Thank you!

papavince
Shopify Partner
21 0 17

How I can't understand his instructions. Too complicated. Can you help elaborate it. Thanks!

An official Shopify partner. Developer and Marketing.
RyanAaronGreen
Tourist
4 0 8

EDIT: Trying to replicate and it doesn't actually seem to work with txt files anymore? Could've sworn it was working before. 

Go ahead and upload your txt file to your File Manager located at Settings > Files (the gear icon on the bottom left of your site's admin panel). You will now have the URL for the file on your Shopify site. 

Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 2.42.45 PM.png

Next go to Online Store > Navigation > URL Redirects.

Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 2.43.39 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-24 at 2.46.57 PM.png

From here you want to make sure that your From address is is the URL that Google is looking for while your To address will be the URL of your file from the File Manager. 

Hope that helps!

papavince
Shopify Partner
21 0 17

Still not working. Kindly see attached screenshot. 

url redirects.JPGearn at risk ads txt.JPG

papavince
Shopify Partner
21 0 17

Okay now got it. I used this one. Thanks for the help.

ads txt.JPG

KatherineOrozco
Visitor
1 0 0

Thanks !!.. I've been the entire week with Google and Shopify and I couldn't understand how to do it.  Both suggested me to hire a web developer to help me. 

Let's see if Google accepts this. 

JustAnAnalyst
Visitor
2 0 1

I just had to do this and ran into the same problem. Here is the solve:

Get in touch with Google Support. Tell them you don't have access to the root file because it is a Shopify site, but you can add the string as a meta tag on the site. That's what I did and the next day I had access to the account. They'll just ask you to take a screen shot of the meta tag in the code and reply to their email with it attached. I wish someone had told me this sooner. I lost a week trying to recover this GA account. Hopefully this will save you some time!

ifigaro2
Visitor
2 0 0

I now have to do this, but I can't find an email to Google support. Do you have the email?

Boswell
Tourist
5 0 1

May i know how to ad a meta tag in the code?

Boswell
Tourist
5 0 1

May i know how to ad a meta tag in the code?

Brenda13
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi,

I'm having this same issue.  Could you send me what was included in the meta tag string (was is same copy they want in txt.file that they provide)?  Do you still have the screen shot?

seasonalCC
Visitor
3 0 0

I am not able to upload the file

mlow
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

same here, and shopify support is no help.

@seasonalCC wrote:

I am not able to upload the file

seasonalCC
Visitor
3 0 0
if you have domain forwarding on then you must cancel it before doing
anything. And I finally called shopify help and they talked me through it.
Mdodgie1313
Visitor
2 0 1

I have been trying this for days now.  The person that ran our google ads account left the company and we have been trying to recover the login.  I have the the txt file created.  It's saved in Settings/Files,  I have created the Redirect From my domain: www.example.com/analytics.txt  (google instructions said to save the txt file as analytics and add it to the end of your domain) then i copied and pasted the Settings/File created URL as the Redirect To.  When you test it it just takes you to a blank page?  Google sends me an email back saying the link does not work..... try again dummy.  Any Ideas??    

Mdodgie1313
Visitor
2 0 1

I got it!! Wooooo! Finally! 

Amar_Gandhi
Shopify Partner
9 0 1

How did you do this?

okw
Excursionist
31 0 2

@Amar_Gandhi I ended up resolving this issue with Google support. They accepted that txt uploaded to our website(not at root level) since they didn't get a response from the email associated with the analytic.

ifigaro2
Visitor
2 0 0

Do you have an email for google support? If so, may I have it?

Alphafem13
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey!

I've already verified my Shopify site no problem for Adsense but now I'm trying to upload a txt file to the root level domain of my site.  Having a hard time with this as I'm a bit of a newb.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

@Jay_ wrote:
Hi there,

A good way to deal with is to upload the txt file to the setting/files page.
Then create a redirect from yourdomain.com/the-google-txt-file-name to the direct link of the uploaded txt file. That helped me verify my Shopify account.

A different way to do it would be to upload a txt file in your domain names dns settings.

Does this help you?

mlow
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

I'm having same issue, loading up a text file to verify for apple pay. but the redirect is not working, not getting to that file. if i test the url apple will check i get a whole bunch of numbers not the text file. 

Can anyone help please?

GenEco
Visitor
1 0 1

Forwarding works, but Google told us this is not allowed because the URL of the text file is not at the root level of the site.

fragisa86
Visitor
1 0 0

I have the same problem, how I can resolve?

iaincalvert
Tourist
8 1 1

Hi Fragisa86,

Did you try setting up the redirect detailed on the previous pages in this thread?

Thanks

Iain

vigneshR
Tourist
7 0 3

Hi, 

I have followed the instruction. 
Now www.example.com/google.txt is redirecting to https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/

But Google team requesting us to have same URL name  www.example.com/google.txt

Kindly help us to resolve this issue.