Solved

Can you apply multiple discounts at checkout on Shopify?

TrendX
Tourist
12 0 35

Hello, I am having an issue here. I have a promotion running on automatic discount (its 10% off every 2nd product) and I definitely want to keep this promotion (like forever). Besides that I give my customers various discount codes, but when they go to checkout, they get an error messages that they cannot apply more than one discount.  In automatic discount it says that it can't combine with other discounts - but there is nowhere to change this setting. So my question is - where and how do I change this setting? 

Thanks a lot! 🙂 

Accepted Solution (1)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

This is an accepted solution.

Hey everyone,

Good news! Discount Combinations are here. You can now combine discount codes (manual or automatic) and have multiple automatic discounts running at the same time. Check out our announcement to learn more!

If you have questions about Discount Combinations then please feel welcome to create a new post in the Shopify Discussions board. If you need account specific help with your discounts, then please contact Shopify Support directly.

Thank you!

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 609 (609)
EmpressD
Visitor
2 0 0
Hi Peter,

Is there now away to combine automatic discounts with discount codes. Example; I have an automatic discount on handbags, but custom is purchasing other items also and would like to use the discount code for the other items. Or I have an automatic discount for a sale and the customer also have the code for being a new customer. And can you add conditions for the combination? Like the example above. If there is an automatic discount for certain products the discount code will only apply to the other items in the cart. Or a combination percentage and combination limit (30% code cannot be used with another 30% code, but can be used with a $ off code). Please let me know if this is available or will become available.
Not applicable

Please add yet another vote for this functionality, . People have been requesting it for years and they will keep requesting it until it is added.

cloudsandcoils
Tourist
3 0 3

This is absolutely not an accepted solution and after getting off with a chat with an agent, it is absolutely ridiculous that the biggest ecommerce platform in the world won't let me sell shoes for 20% off and shirts for 15 percent off. Honestly floored.

lauren_ltncrftr
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi Peter, 

We would also like to be added to the list of accounts wanting to use multiple discount codes / auto discount codes. Thanks!

jeton333
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi, very sad that this great platform can not seem to implement a feature that so many of us want and have been asking for. We obviously need this, please work on making it happen soon. 

circular
Excursionist
15 0 8

Hi Peter,

Really hope that this feature can be launched very soon in 2020.

It is really frustrating that customer is unable to enjoy multiple discounts during check out.

kiroibrahim
Visitor
1 0 4

bruh add this feature right now...like no more need for voting. u have 13 pages of voting for the feature to be added lol what more do u want.

dlr22
Tourist
8 0 4

Agree 1000% with this. ↓

@kiroibrahim wrote:

bruh add this feature right now...like no more need for voting. u have 13 pages of voting for the feature to be added lol what more do u want.

glamourverse
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Peter,

I also vote for this feature because the stackable discount will increase conversion anyway! Thank you!

LilaPCS
Visitor
1 0 0

I don't know why this is marked "solved. We have free shipping to local zip codes (which you don't seem to be able to program automatically, only by state) and then product discounts, but only one can be used at a time. Obviously I want my local customers to be able to get BOTH the free shipping and discounts, without a customer service song and dance.

Panjela
Visitor
1 0 0

Adding my request to this list. I'd like to allow my nearby friends to shop online and be able to bypass shipping (since I'll hand-deliver their orders). I created a free shipping code but that should be available in addition to my "friends and family" discount.

Thank you

ArunKumar
Visitor
3 0 3

Add my request too. Looks like lot of basic features are missing in the Shopify which are available in the other open source platforms. I'm member since last 2 months only. But I'm missing lot of basic features which are discussing and requesting in this community for years. For every problem pointing the 3rd party app is not acceptable. Because we are paying for Shopify, it's not free. From my location, single additional dollar is a big amount. Please consider all and implement the basic features as soon as possible.

KiShuri
Visitor
1 0 0

Literally every online retail giant has stackable discounts and promotions... how are we supposed to compete?  You really should implement this.  The consensus is clearly in favor.

barbabrasil
Tourist
4 0 1

When a SIMPLE thing becomes a BIG problem, i have progressive discounts buy more pay less I believe everyoone does that, and the iinfluencers code doesnt work because it already have a discount aplied. 

Re1
Excursionist
24 0 44

Adding my vote for this function.  An example is an automatic discount to Buy 1, get 50% off 2nd and customers be able to overlay a promo code at checkout.  I've tried multiple apps, but none are able to offer something suitable.

CraigR88
Visitor
2 0 0
Really frustrating that this isn’t even a ‘premium’ feature. I’d be happy to pay north of $500 a month for an app that actually works.

I’ve tried 3 now, most work for simple orders but we have offers on nearly all products, 5 for £10, 2 for £20 etc and customers need to be able to use their discount codes on top.

Most apps work if we’d only have one offer running but they glitch out when adding more than 10 items to the cart.

Shopify Plus is an option for us but $2000+ a month to get this kind of feature is a complete rip off.
thatonegirl
Visitor
1 0 2

Hi Peter, 

Do you know if stackable discount functionality was ever built out? I could use it for when I'm shipping free product to people to try and want them to still go through our checkout flow.

Mets
Shopify Partner
12 0 4

We need this badly!

It's one of the most common ecommerce features to be able to set unique discounts for different products. Not just one rule for all products.

Common things like this are currently not possible:

- Buy 3x of product "A" -> get 20% OFF Product "A"

- Buy 3x of product "B" -> get 10% OFF Product "B"

- etc.

You can have just ONE rule for a group of products with automatic discounts and this seems very limiting and inconvenient. It's a basic ecom feature.

Let's see if this will ever see the light of day...

I'm voting strongly for this!

Rudie_Errenrich
Tourist
6 0 5

Not sure that Shopify is even looking at this thread any longer seeing that it was marked as Solved when it clearly is not the case. Not sure if Peter even work at Shopify anymore.

Thread that is more than a year old with 18 pages of request and with Shopify ignoring it is just plain silly.

Shopify/Peter!, if you are still following the thread or reading this at all, this is really a big need for shop owners, please give us an update, positive or negative but then at least we kow exaclty where we stand.

TyW
Community Manager
451 63 1206

Hi all, I appreciate everyone's feedback and desire to have this feature.

To help others who are discovering this topic via search engines I am going to remove the previous solution, and mark this reply as the new solution for awareness purposes only.

This post provides a recap of the current situation which is this feature is not available natively but some 3rd party options exist, and we are capturing feedback/demand from this topic to share with our product teams. 

Per @Trevor's reply here the following is still accurate:

With any feature, we have to consider how it impacts other parts of the platform, along with any possible negative outcomes it could have towards you, the store owner. While I can’t speak to whether this is an easy addition or not, I can assure you that each and every piece of feedback you’ve provided here in this thread has been added to the feature request. Beyond this, I am unable to provide any further insight, or context beyond your feedback has been shared internally with our product team for discussion/review.

If we can avoid speculation and remain on topic with valid use cases for why this feature is valuable that would be great.

In the event new information is available to share in the future @Trevor and myself will be sure to follow-up so everyone is aware

Thanks!

Please note that aggressive, personal attacks or unrelated replies will be removed per our Community Guidelines.

TyW | Online Community Manager @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Re1
Excursionist
24 0 44

Hi TyW,

Thanks for your reply.  Just to make it clear that from my perspective none of the 3rd party apps offer a suitable solution (I've trialled half a dozen and researched up to 20), so effectively we are without this functionality.

RicketyRose
Tourist
6 0 26

Totally agree @Re1 . We tried a lot of them too, without success

rakheecandles
Tourist
5 0 27

Tried several 3rd party apps. None of them work. I find the label 'Success. This is an accepted solution' completely insulting and inaccurate.

RicketyRose
Tourist
6 0 26

@TyW  as far as I know there is no 3rd party app which effectively solves this. It's not just those wanting stackable discount codes who are affected. We stumbled across the problem when choosing a loyalty program...loyalty programs don't work effectively on Shopify because they generate coupon codes to implement the rewards  (full details  of the problem given in my post of 16/11/19). After much consideration we implemented a  loyalty program  a few months ago but are now considering removing it as overall I think it's a negative customer experience. It doesn't work for our best customers (who get an automatic discount on large orders) as they can NEVER use their loyalty bonuses.  @rakheecandles  on 25/11 indicated a similar problem with rewards programs.

When I read @LoveinCA  post on 5/2/20 I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Shopify customers have been asking for stackable discounts for 8 years at least. Why on earth hasn't it been done?

Sharon

LoveinCA
Excursionist
14 0 41

@RicketyRose wrote:

When I read @LoveinCA  post on 5/2/20 I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Shopify customers have been asking for stackable discounts for 8 years at least. Why on earth hasn't it been done?

Sharon

Its simple supply and demand really. Shopify is very well aware of the high demand for this feature, for over 8 years now....now the smart company that they are, they are trying to figure out how to take this high demand feature and implement it to their advantage to make money off shopify subscribers (like us)

Examples:

• IF they were to implement this they might only offer it in their highest "PLUS plan" tier, this way it give shopify subscribers/customers something to WANT and and a reason to choose their higher tier web platform plan.
  • Or they could simply make it as thier own 3rd party app (paid plan)

One thing is for sure, this feature wont be rolled out as a FREE feature for all shopify customers, that i can guarantee. The reason this is probably taking so long to launch and implement is they are not trying to figure out how to launch such a simple mathematical code to their platform....but rather how to make this new high demand feature work to 'their' advantage. 

Simple business practices really...

RicketyRose
Tourist
6 0 26

@LoveinCA wrote:

@RicketyRose wrote:

Sharon

Its simple supply and demand really. Shopify is very well aware of the high demand for this feature, for over 8 years now....now the smart company that they are, they are trying to figure out how to take this high demand feature and implement it to their advantage to make money off shopify subscribers (like us)

Examples:

• IF they were to implement this they might only offer it in their highest "PLUS plan" tier, this way it give shopify subscribers/customers something to WANT and and a reason to choose their higher tier web platform plan.
  • Or they could simply make it as thier own 3rd party app (paid plan)

One thing is for sure, this feature wont be rolled out as a FREE feature for all shopify customers, that i can guarantee. The reason this is probably taking so long to launch and implement is they are not trying to figure out how to launch such a simple mathematical code to their platform....but rather how to make this new high demand feature work to 'their' advantage. 

Simple business practices really...

You could have a point there. I had considered this too. My view is that Shopify should include basic functionality in their basic subscription. Maybe "advanced" features can be chargeable. I guess deciding what's "basic" is very subjective but I regard multiple discounts and certainly a loyalty program as pretty basic. We're paying a substantial monthly amount for  a loyalty program that simply cannot work as it's meant to. Shopify's basic subscription may be competetively priced but personally I'd rather pay a little more for improved functionality as standard. We're actually considering changing platform and I'm certain we won't be the first

secantscope
Excursionist
18 0 21

This is ridiculous. Why can't we even add 2 automatic discounts for 2 different products???

Izabela_Leskow
Tourist
9 0 16

The problem is that we do not want to use a 3rd party app to do this. It should be a standard feature. I do not want to pay £££ to have stackable discounts. I want to give my VIP customers a discount code for Free shipping ALWAYS and the added extra of 20% off at specific times of the year. And, allow different discounting for specific products.

Why do I need to pay to do this? It's not an accepted solution. I think Shopify gets a decent cut every time an app is sold that it's not worth their bother or time to listen to their customers.

Guess what? Not only are there 3rd part apps out there, there are also OTHER SOLUTIONS other than Shopify. Maybe we should all vote with our feet and move our stores to another platform. Would that be an acceptable solution?

llopes85
Tourist
3 0 2

It is disappointing that Shopify in 2020 we are still asking for this. Apps do not work properly and I have tried and tested several of them over the years.

To keep this discussion on topic, my business is not able to offer a good customer experience because it won't allow customers to stack discounts. 

If I want to allow all my top customers to use a free shipping code, I cannot run other promotions too like a basic cart recovery with a discount code.

Then I have a rewards program which had a great start but customers find really frustrating that they simply cannot use their rewards in the same order or worse they redeem a reward but then have to pay for postage. Customer call us frustrated and this increases our customer service operation cost and decreases customer satisfaction. 

Whether or not this would be a basic or extra feature I think it would be fair to ask for a clear reason for not developing this as I have no doubt Shopify would see a ROI quickly by the increased number of orders via Shopify Payments. 

ThrivePeak
Visitor
1 0 1

I couldn't agree more this is such a needed solution because we use loyalty rewards and people want to use them however if they have any other discount code they can't use it.  Just terrible setup not being able to stack them.

fabmol1
Excursionist
31 0 9

Hi guys, any update here. The thread is marked as solved which is wrong! Hope I am wrong.

Bdavis76
Visitor
1 0 1

Missing a stackable discount feature is hurting my business in the following ways. 

I sell socks - customers would love to order multiple pairs, in various colors and sizes and get a bundled discount. I CAN do that, but then I CANNOT do ANYTHING else to further incent that order. I can't offer a return to cart discount - I can't offer a referral code (referralcandy) - I can't provide a goodwill discount code for specific instances - I can't offer a freeshipping coupon 

This feature is extremely important and I am saddened that Shopify has had years to get this sorted and has chosen not to do so.

(the concern about gaming the system is pretty simple with max discount thresholds or just simply cancel the order and fix the cause -- I'd rather lose that one crappy customer than the dozens of people that hit my store and have an expectation that they could bundle across products)

We could and did create "packs" as products instead of the socks - but that quickly becomes an inventory issue that is a non-starter.

472db
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

This is unreal, after all this time just to find out Shopify has no intention to improve its native functionality. Instead, they encourage us to use paid 3rd party app just to earn more.

This is one of the most basic features that I could imagine for an eCommerce store. And they don't want to fix it. What is Shopify doing? spending all the resources on the Shopify Support system instead of actually provide a better product, they provide more customer service to comfort the crowd. That's ridiculous.

And how on earth is this thread marked as "Solved"? This is unbelievable.

Ryan_Mc
Explorer
46 0 17

Oddly enough, via automated discounts and Shopify Scripts, I'm inadvertently stacking now and I do NOT want to.  Ugh.  

Paul_Stewart
Shopify Partner
25 0 7

@Ryan_Mc 

Would you mind elaborating on how you ended up stacking?  Perhaps this could be of use to the rest of the community that does want to do this.  Thanks!

vbPLUS
Tourist
3 0 65

I would like to know also.

Also why is this thread marked as 'Solved' when the issue clearly isn't?

The reps on here provide brush-off responses and nothing has been looked into.

Even their own shopify techs could not create a custom app that would allow for multiple discounts in the same order (stating that Shopify has locked the checkout page from editing).

This severely hurts our businesses and it has become very clear that Shopify does not care at all because they have done absolutely nothing to address this issue after over a year of this thread going as well as other threads about this!

Ryan_Mc
Explorer
46 0 17

Shopify Scripts operates independently of Shopify's native coupon stack so any discounts you were to create there, would in no way be affected by any automated and/or coupon code discounts you create.  This, ironically is a problem for me since I don't WANT to combine in this instance.

Unfortunately, implementing this requires not only a bit of programming chops (not hard though) but a Shopify PLUS subscription which for most is likely a non-starter.

That said, if it helps, this is a small Shopify Script I created to discount 10% off select items for customers with a specific tag. 

customer = Input.cart.customer
TAG = "Wholesale"

if customer
if customer.tags.include?(TAG)
Input.cart.line_items.each do |line_item| product = line_item.variant.product
product_price = line_item.variant.price

product_is_deal = line_item.variant.compare_at_price
product_is_lp = line_item.variant.product.tags.include?('LP') product_is_tek = line_item.variant.product.tags.include?('TEK') next if product.gift_card? next if product_is_lp next if product_is_tek next if product_is_deal next unless product_price >= Money.new(cents: 1499)
line_item.change_line_price(line_item.line_price * 0.90, message: "Wholesale Discount")
end end end Output.cart = Input.cart

sahilrattan
Tourist
4 0 4

How can this possibly take 2 years to solve guys? 

Many businesses rely on promotion to help drive sales and this shouldn't even be an issue in the first place. 

Are we expecting an update soon? 
I don't think we can create any more sites on the platform without this feature, my clients need it. 

Gofurnit
Tourist
5 0 1

Just count me in the millions of shopify store owners needing this feature. But many here said it already, they have no interest in helping us for free. I want to give away free masks for corona as automatic free product but then the 15% welcome bonus cannot be applied on top. This is just ridiculous... Maybe considering moving to a different platform if Shopify is unwilling to deliver

markslc
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello.  Just trying to find out if there has been any resolution to this subject?  My situation is I have wholesalers who get a wholesale price on all products, some of my wholesalers are much better than others so I really need to be able to give my really good wholesalers a code for an additional 10% off their order.  I switched from a wordpress site to Shopify but just found out I can't make this work.  Please let me know if there is any resolution.  Thank you. 

michaellitt
Visitor
1 0 9

We sell coffee online; those customers who purchase 'subscriptions' (recurring orders) are clearly our best customers. In order to provide incentive to subscribe, we of course offer a discount. It's why 'subscribe and save' is a thing. I am fairly certain a great number of stores offer volume discounts as well, not only wholesale 'price points' but B2C as well... check Amazon, for instance. 

We would like to do everything possible to convert one-time purchases into automatically recurring purchases... and I am certain I speak for every business ever started since the beginning of time. So we are faced with a major issue that could significantly stunt our growth:

1- We cannot send discount promotions to one-time-purchase customers for incentive to come back and subscribe, since the subscriptions typically have an automatic discount built-in

2- We cannot send discount promotions or thanks to our best customers... existing subscribers... for the same reason

3- Our most loyal customers (still... 'subscribers') cannot use discounts generated via our loyalty points program, while one-time purchasers can

4- Nor can they benefit from any other automated blanket promotions (e.g., 'this week only' 'on special' 'buy this weekend and save' and so on and so on)

I am in no way attacking, but sharing that I have a hard time believing you're doing this to protect us, the store owners... that would be as simple as a defaulting to current state, but adding a radio button to opt IN ... 'allow multiple promotions? This should be at the overall shop level, and possibly also at the collection and / or product levels.

I'm new at this, and it took awhile to register that I wasn't missing something, that this is your actual reality. In scrolling through the comments, I am horrified to learn how long this has been an unsolved issue, especially since it is likely shared by 90% of your customer base. How many of us will it take to encourage some action on your part? Survey us, send out a petition, ask a slow 8th grader... most would agree this makes sense. I'm happy to beta test it for you, and if you set up an account on our store- we'll offer you 10% off plus $5 and free shipping and 200 loyalty points on your first purchase. 

This is SIGNIFICANT. Please. Act.

Michael / Nervous Dog Coffee

burkewilliams
Visitor
2 0 6

@michaellitt

danteamk
Tourist
9 0 28

Count me in as a vote to get this done too! 

Shopify has some things that are hard to understand.

Another thing that is necessary is to assign different packaging to different products. So basic! But not possible unless you pay some good 14 bucks a month.

All these apps add up a lot and they all feed off basic deficiencies of Shopify.

Shopify, support small businesses during COVID-19 times by doing this!

Shahen
Visitor
1 0 0

Add my vote too please. Judging from this thread, this seems to be a feature that every Shopify user has wanted from day one of setting up our stores.

AlanJosephShop
Visitor
2 0 0

Unless I misread the Solution update, there's still is no real solution other than locking discounted products to be accessed only by certain customers or utilizing gift cards in some fashion to reduce total purchase price, is that correct?

Use Case: As for understanding a use case, here's mine. My Shopfiy store has products from multiple vendors and I have chosen to include the shipping charge within the price of the product and simply offer free shipping. Now, if someone orders two products from the same vendor, I can provide a discount since the shipping cost won't be double for me, I would pass that savings onto the customer as an incentive to buy an additional item from the same vendor in my store. I would setup an automatic discount of Buy X and get Y in my store to handle this situation of passing along the shipping charge savings. However, in addition, I would also like to offer some returning customers a separate 10% code discount off their total purchase; which from my understanding would require stacking multiple discounts, the automatic one with the manually entered one by the customer. I hope this use case provides some better insight into the need to support multiple discount codes via Shopify.

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

@AlanJosephShop wrote:

Use Case: ... products from multiple vendors ..include the shipping charge within the price ... and simply offer free shipping.
..if someone orders two products from the same vendor, I can provide a discount since the shipping cost won't be double for me,....

setup an automatic discount of Buy X and get Y ... shipping charge savings.
However, in addition, I would also like to offer some returning customers a separate 10% code discount off their total purchase; 

This can be solved by swapping in a "hidden" duplicate product with a reduced price when customers get more than 1 of that item, thus freeing up a discount slot for more sensitive rules like total price reduction.

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

englishcyclist
Shopify Partner
10 0 8

Please add my name to the feature request. The 'solution' is doesn't seem to solve many of the actual use cases presented in the discussion... or my own 🙂 
Is it not simple? Just add a box that displays a code that is doing the automatic discount with a 'x' near it so you can delete it and apply a new code.

toverkast
Tourist
6 0 3

Just wanted to add my vote for this feature, over the past months that I've been using Shopify I've been consistently surprised by the basic features that are lacking, making it in some ways worse than free alternatives, but this feature must be the most egregious example because it's clear the logic is basically implemented, just artificially limited.

Pburt16
Excursionist
16 0 12
"If we can avoid speculation and remain on topic with valid use cases for why this feature is valuable that would be great."

This response should anger every single client paying money to Shopify for a subscription. There are literally 35 pages of comments date back over a year of people proposing valid use cases for stackable coupons, including people who paid Shopify developers to develop a solution for them. And, a year plus later, it's the same stock BS response. This is the case over and over and over in these forums. There are features I was looking for five years ago with a previous Shopify store that haven't been implemented ... such as adding a simple toggle to hide/reveal the coupon code to field to prevent stores from losing customers at checkout who are searching for discount codes. Funny thing, this exact toggle feature is available on Shopify Plus, just like, I am sure, are stackable coupons. 

I pay through the nose for apps that should be basic functionality. There's a reason why ALL of Shopify's apps are under-baked garbage ... Keeps the app store humming and takes the pressure off their dev team so they can focus on their enterprise clients. How's that for speculation?

It's time, pay attention to your customers, ALL of them.

BooksAndCoffee
Tourist
8 0 17

Please add me to the list as well. We switched to shopify thinking it would be better for our business, but it seems we've given up a lot in terms of being able to do simple things that other websites handle easily.
We are a tiny business, using social media reps as one outlet to help our business grow. It's crazy to me that I can't have an automatic discount at checkout, that my rep codes would stack with for the added referral benefit.

For example, we sell coffee. Today is national coffee day. I'd like to do an automatic discount of coffee for 5%, and if my rep shares our promo, customers can stack that reps 10% off code ON TOP of the 5% at checkout.
It doesn't make sense for me to upgrade my plan for a one-time thing like this. The ROI just isn't there.