What is the motive behind continuous cart spamming on Shopify?

sebastian502
Visitor
3 0 1

For about 5 weeks now I have had one person coming to the site directly to a product page, adding one item to the cart, going to checkout using a different email address each time.  This is occurring dozens of time s a day.

What I know is:

• Only adds one item to cart each visit
  • Always uses the same name of John Smith
  • Email is always a variation of johnsmithxxxx@gmail.com but a different email each time
  • address entered is always googles corporate address in California
  • Only active between apprx 10:00 am through 2:00 am eastern time.  Always a gap at night
  • With the gap at night, maybe indicating an actual person, or just doing that to hide a bot pattern
  • Ip address is 72.14.199.0  which comes back as as google registered IP 
  • They are removing or not allowing cookies as tracking software assigns a unique id on each visit
  • Each time spends 4-8 minutes on the site but only visits landing product page, cart page, checkout page.
  • Occurred over 300 times in 3 weeks.  Started slowly with 2 or 3 visits initially and increasing visits each day
  • Mostly random products but occasionally an item is repeated.
  • No indication they are coming from paid advertising from our internal tracking software and monitoring

A screen shot  below is from part of today.

I've eliminated shopify support doing this due to an open ticket.   Doesn't seem to be trying to click fraud advertising.   Someone mentioned a facebook pixel workaround to test product sales but removed pixel several days ago and no change in behavior.

Any ideas what is occurring and why?  What would be the the end goal to add items to cart?

Screenshot 2019-10-16 20.48.39.png

Replies 19 (19)