Solved

Why aren't all product images importing back into Shopify?

Christin
Excursionist
18 1 8

I have exported all my products to add article numbers in google sheets. Then I importet them back. I just realized that only the main image of each product has been imported, all other images are missing.

After this issue I tried something: I added a second picture to a particular product >  exported that particular product > again deleted the second picture of this product in shopify  > imported the csv file (product) back to shopify > the second pictures has not been imported back to shopify.

So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for helping!

Accepted Solution (1)
PaulCarlisle
Tourist
3 1 18

This is an accepted solution.

Ok so I know I'm a little late to the party but I thought I'd bring to the table a solution that works perfectly and won't require any additional apps or hours of re-uploading images to your file repository and re-linking to your products, I had exactly the same issue described in this post, I exported my products to CSV, updated the prices and descriptions and when I re-imported the products only the first image and it's associated alt tag was present. During this import failure I got an import error like this:

Screenshot 2020-04-03 at 13.01.32.png

Why it happens

As correctly stated further up this post, if you upload an image directly to a product the image gets deleted when you import changes, whereas if the image is uploaded to the files repository and you select it via the product it creates a link, this way the image path is retained when you make any changes via the Shopify product import.

I reached out to Shopify Support and they gave me the following solution:

When a product image is deleted a copy of the image is retained, this process pulls back in the saved copy of the image and creates a new link

The Solution

Using your preferred text editor open your CSV file and do a find and replace on all image paths, look for /products/ and replace all instances with /deleted/products/ then save your CSV file and import to your store.

The result of doing this is that the images are pulled from the /deleted/products repository and re-imported as new files with a new file name and re-links them to your products. (As a test, if you then export the product, you'll see that the image paths are different and no longer contain /deleted/).

Now go to a product in your Shopify admin and you'll see all your images are back with their corresponding alt tags!

I thought this may still be useful as it's still very much a current issue, thank you Daniela from Shopify Support for your solution.

View solution in original post

Replies 26 (26)