Solved

SSL still pending after 2 weeks

Denny101
Tourist
3 0 1

Hello dear sellers,

I am new to Shopify and have built my store. It is almost finished, but at the moment, I still have the problem that it says "SSL pending". A guide said that it might need up to 48 hours, but since I have connected my domain, 2 weeks are already over. The shop has a password at the moment and I'm using the Standardplan. A new domain has already been saved and is successfully connected to the store. Any ideas why SSL is still pending?

Thank you very much,

Best regards,

Dennis

Accepted Solutions (2)

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @Denny101!

I’m Helen from Shopify Support. Thanks for your question and your patience; The SSL most definitely should have provisioned for your domain within 48 hours of connecting it. So, let’s get to the bottom of this for you!

Did you purchase your domain through Shopify? Or is it being hosted by a third party site?

If it is being hosted off of Shopify, please login to your domain host account and check that your DNS settings are as follows to ensure that the SSL is not being blocked:

• Only one A Record is setup, and it needs to point to 23.227.38.65
  • Must have a CNAME pointing to shops.myshopify.com
  • Remove any AAAA Records and CAA Records 
  • Disable DNSSEC for your domain

For assistance with checking or editing these parameters, please reach out to your domain provider directly, and allow up to 48 hours for your domain to fully propagate after any changes are made.

For a domain being hosted by Shopify, please check the same DNS settings from your Shopify admin by going to ‘Online Store > Domains > Manage > DNS Settings. Let me know if you need a hand with this.

Keep me updated with how it all goes. Once you have confirmed that your DNS settings are correct feel free to reply back to this thread with your domain name, and I am happy to look further into it from my end to be sure we get it all connected up properly before you remove the password from your storefront.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hi, @hazem1995! Thanks for checking in about this.

Do you recall what the additional A and AAAA records are for in your DNS settings? Most commonly, SSL errors are due to multiple A Records or AAAA Records in your DNS Settings. Therefore, if records 2-9 are not intentional, then yes those are the ones to remove. 

Who is your domain host? If you have any doubt about the functionality of your DNS setting, I suggest first contacting your domain provider to determine if those records are needed. If advised to remove them, please wait up to 48 hours after doing so for the changes to take effect and your SSL certificate to provision.

If your SSL is still pending 48 hours after making any changes (or if advised not to remove records 2-9), the next step is to attempt to have the SSL certificates provisioned from our end. In order to do so, we’ll need to access your account. At this time, account-specific support via the Shopify Community is unavailable, so please visit our contact page, and log in to your account to create a support request for live chat, callback or email assistance.

To save some time and help the Support Advisor you speak with pick up where we’ve left off, I am going to provide you with a summary of the issue as I understand it. Please share this summary at the beginning of your conversation in order to proceed with the next steps as quickly as possible:

“My domain’s SSL has been pending for longer than 48 hours. I have confirmed with my domain provider that 
the DNS settings are correct, therefore I am requesting for you to manually provision the SSL certificate.”

I'm marking this reply as “Solved” for the benefit of anyone else who also needs a Support Advisor to assist with these same next steps. Thanks!

View solution in original post

Replies 71 (71)
Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hey, @lynai-sales. If you’ve just purchased your domain, then it can take up to 48 hours for your SSL certificate to provision. I mentioned this timeframe in a few of my previous replies, and there is more info about it in the Help Doc for SSL. However, I just went to your storefront, and it looks like everything is fully connected now!

Your store is looking great, by the way! You’re selling some really cute pieces; The top that says “Know your worth then add tax” is so clever. It made me laugh out loud. 

Have you considered writing an About Us page? This could really enhance the user experience and add more of a human element to your business. For example, I’d love to know more about what the inspiration is behind your store concept. There are some great tips, examples and templates in this blog post to help you out with it.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck! 

Eldcan
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello 

I have followed the steps and its still say SSL pending can you please help. 

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hi, @Eldcan. Welcome to the Community! I’m happy to help you out with this. 

How long ago did you purchase, or connect your domain to your Shopify store? As mentioned previously, it can take up to 48 hours for the SSL certificate to provision. Therefore, if it has been longer than that, please reply to the email I am about to send you, and I’ll be able to take a closer look into this for you.

Thanks!

hazem1995
Visitor
2 0 0

I have the same problem with the SSL. Just to be sure before I screw my dns settings:

- I need to remove ALL the A's except the one with 23.227.38.65 (so I remove the 2nd, 3rd 4th, 5th, 6th)

- I need to remove ALL the AAAA's (so i remove the 7th, 8th and 9th as well)

If i remove those the SSL will be good right? 

Thanks in advance!

Schermafbeelding 2021-02-11 om 16.40.17.png

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hi, @hazem1995! Thanks for checking in about this.

Do you recall what the additional A and AAAA records are for in your DNS settings? Most commonly, SSL errors are due to multiple A Records or AAAA Records in your DNS Settings. Therefore, if records 2-9 are not intentional, then yes those are the ones to remove. 

Who is your domain host? If you have any doubt about the functionality of your DNS setting, I suggest first contacting your domain provider to determine if those records are needed. If advised to remove them, please wait up to 48 hours after doing so for the changes to take effect and your SSL certificate to provision.

If your SSL is still pending 48 hours after making any changes (or if advised not to remove records 2-9), the next step is to attempt to have the SSL certificates provisioned from our end. In order to do so, we’ll need to access your account. At this time, account-specific support via the Shopify Community is unavailable, so please visit our contact page, and log in to your account to create a support request for live chat, callback or email assistance.

To save some time and help the Support Advisor you speak with pick up where we’ve left off, I am going to provide you with a summary of the issue as I understand it. Please share this summary at the beginning of your conversation in order to proceed with the next steps as quickly as possible:

“My domain’s SSL has been pending for longer than 48 hours. I have confirmed with my domain provider that 
the DNS settings are correct, therefore I am requesting for you to manually provision the SSL certificate.”

I'm marking this reply as “Solved” for the benefit of anyone else who also needs a Support Advisor to assist with these same next steps. Thanks!

hazem1995
Visitor
2 0 0

Thanks for the quick reply.

I found the solution by just removing the @ AAAA-record and now it works. 

Thanks!

Greetings

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

That’s great, @hazem1995! Thanks for the update.

Now that your domain is connected properly, I highly recommend submitting your sitemap to Google. It’s the first step in helping to improve your Search Engine Optimization (SEO). It can sometimes take weeks or even months for your site to become indexed by search engines so that you show up in search results, so the earlier you get it submitted, the better. 

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Whiteski
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi Helen, im having an issue with the SSL setting up, its been 6 days since the set up. Ive gone in again today and reset from the domains page (using the auto connect) and looked at this thread, does everything look as it should here? Any advice or help would be massively appreciated

dns.PNG

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hi, @Whiteski. Thanks for the screenshot!

Where is your domain being hosted? The DNS settings that are required to connect a third party domain are as follows:

21-04-rnna2-v4q98

Therefore, please edit your A Record to be as seen above. Additionally, there are a lot of other records within your settings. Did you add them in yourself? Do you know what they are for? For example you have two CNAME records, where the subdomain ‘shops.yourdomain.com’ is pointing to Shopify. If you’d prefer to have ‘www.yourdomain.com’ point to your store instead, then please update your CNAME as seen in the screenshot above and delete the other record. 

I highly recommend contacting your domain provider to go over your DNS settings though. Let them know that you are wanting to point to your Shopify store, and provide them with the Help Doc for What to tell your third-party provider. They’ll be able to advise if there are any records that aren’t needed and can be deleted. Or, if there is any other requirement from their end that needs to be added. Once you’ve made the necessary changes to your DNS Settings, please allow up to 48 hours for the changes to take effect, within which time your SSL certificates should provision. 

If your SSL continues to be unavailable after 48 hours after confirming your DNS Settings are correct, we’ll gladly take a look at it from our end and try to provision the certificates manually. We’ll need to access your account in order to do so. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request.

Since this is the next step I've marked this reply as the solution for the benefit of others who may discover this topic. Thanks!

florentine
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi, 

unfortunately for me it is also still pending after more then 48h. The domain name: SCHMUCKMUC.com 

Do you have any hints?

Thanks in advanced! 

Best, Florentine 

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-30 um 11.54.07.png

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hey, @florentine. Welcome to the Community! Thanks for reaching out about this, and for the screenshot of your DNS Settings; It makes it much more clear as to where to start troubleshooting this with you.

Initially, I can see that your A Record is what may be causing the issue. Please edit it to be 23.227.38.65 instead. Once changes are made to your DNS Settings, please allow up to another 48 hours for it to take effect. 

Let me know if this helps!

florentine
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi @Helen

Thanks for your support. Unfortunately this didn’t help. Do you have any other ideas? 
Best, 

Florentine 

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hi again, @florentine. Sorry to hear you’re still having trouble with this!

Where did you purchase your domain from?

If it was from a third party platform, then your next step is to contact them directly to have them check the settings for their end for you. Each domain hosting site has its own requirements, so in addition to the A Record and CNAME there may be something else they’ll be able to assist with.

However, if this domain was purchased from Shopify, then we can take a closer look into its setup for you. We’ll need to access your account in order to do so. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request.

Let me know how it goes!

betoeats
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi @Helen , 

I transfered my domain from google domains 1 week ago on 8/24. 

I am able to see my new domain in Shopify but have been waiting for 7 days with the status "SSL Pending". 

I have made sure that the DNS settings match those which you have shared. I have also contacted support a few times and they mention they updated something and that it would take 48 hours. After waiting 48 hours it is still not working. What do you suggest I do? 

My domain is muchocandy.com

appreciate any help, thanks!

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hey, @betoeats! Thanks for reaching out. Let's look into this for you. 

Did you receive any confirmation that your transfer was complete? Transferring a domain to Shopify can take up to 20 days to complete, and you will receive an email notifying you when the transfer is complete. Additionally when I go to your domain, I receive the page seen below. This generally occurs when your domain is still being hosted on a third party platform and is not connected to your Shopify account yet. 

31-58-33733-30054

Are you still seeing your domain as being Connected when you go to ‘Online Store > Domains’, or has the status changed? Are your DNS Records also still set up like this in your Shopify admin?

31-06-2378-69273

Let me know, and we'll go from there.

betoeats
Visitor
3 0 0

Thanks for your reply @Helen , 

Here are the DNS settings for my transferred domain and the Domains page does show "connected" but with the "SSL pending" status.

In the DNS IP mine ends in a 70 should I change it to a 65 like yours?

I have not received a transferred complete email, I have had to approve the transfer from google domains and approved so it no longer shows the domain in google domains and only in shopify. Will it be Shopify that sends me the transfer complete email? 

Thanks again for your help!

Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 1.54.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-08-31 at 1.54.42 PM.png

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Thanks for the screenshot, @betoeats! You can leave your IP address to be 23.227.38.70, since it is one of the A Records that tends to be automatically set for a Shopify domain. And yes, it will be an email from Shopify that will be sent to you once your domain has been transferred. Please check your spam/junk folder as well for this, as your storefront is now coming up for me when I go to muchocandy.com. That being said, your SSL still being pending may resolve over the next 48 hours, since there has been some progress on the transfer.

However, if after another 48 hours it is still pending, we can look further into it for you. We’ll need to access your account in order to do so.  While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request.

In order to save time for both you and the Support Advisor you connect with, please feel free to reference our conversation in this Community thread; I will leave some detailed notes about what you are experiencing and some troubleshooting steps to try for the Advisor to reference. 

Let me know how it all goes!

betoeats
Visitor
3 0 0

Thanks @Helen , 

I did not find an email from shopify regarding the transfer being complete. I did get the email to verify the transfer where I had to click a link to verify which I did a week ago.

I will give it another 48 hours and see if it is still not working, will contact chat if it is still not working by then. Thanks for your help! 

-Beto

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

You’re welcome, @betoeats. Thanks for following up. If I can assist with anything else, please let me know.

Mai12
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Helen,

I don't understand my problem. When everything is almost finished at the moment I have a problem.

I already set everything and saved. I already picked 1$ per month plan and bought domain.

Then I restarted my laptop and access to my account but nothing is here. No domain, no policy and ect. My account can't raise email for assistance following shopify guideline.

What's wrong with me and What I can do for the next step

Thanks and hope to hear back from you

Greta
Shopify Staff
1099 118 139

Hi, @Mai12!

Thanks for reaching out, and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your account. I recommend contacting our live support team so we can look into this further. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Head over to the Help Center.
  2. Enter the details of your question into the chat assistant.
  3. Wait for the chat assistant's response and click "I still need help".
  4. Follow the prompts to be connected with a Support Advisor. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions! 

Greta | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

bchung
Tourist
3 1 0

Hi I am having the same issue with NebulaNexusDesigns.com "Your domain's AAAA record doesn't point to Shopify".
I removed the CNAM and previous A records. 

A Record is:

Host: @

Points to: 23.227.38.65

TTL: default

CNAME Record is:
Host: www

Points to: shops.myshopify.com

TTL: default

Any idea whatis causing the error?