How to Activate multi-origin shipping?

saicrish
Tourist
9 0 1

Hi,

I am not able to activate multi origin shipping option.

I do not see the following option at all

• From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Shipping and delivery.
  • In the Delivery methods at checkout section, click Manage rates.
  • In the Shipping from section, click Activate multi-origin shipping.

I only see the different shipping locations in the Shipping from section but no option to activate multi origin shipping.

Can someone please help?

Regards,

Sai.

Replies 24 (24)

Michal17
Shopify Partner
835 73 175

Hi @saicrish 

Hope you're having a great day!

Follow this tutorial: Activate multi-origin shipping

Activating multi-origin shipping can’t be undone: After you activate multi-origin shipping, you can’t switch back to single-origin shipping.

If you have any further questions, please do reach out either here on the forum, or via a private message/email.

saicrish
Tourist
9 0 1

Thanks Michal.

But this tutorial does not help.

Step 2: Activate multi-origin shipping

If you decide to activate multi-origin shipping, then follow these steps..

Caution

Activating multi-origin shipping can’t be undone. After you activate multi-origin shipping, you can’t switch back to single-origin shipping.

Steps:

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Shipping and delivery.

2. In the Delivery methods at checkout section, click Manage rates.

3. In the Shipping from section, click Activate multi-origin shipping.

So here I do see an option Activate multi-origin shipping to click.

My shipping from section do not have this option.

what do i do now?

PietroFaraone
Tourist
5 0 3

I have the same problem as you.

There is no wording that allows you to activate multi-origin shipping in this page

Janis07111
Visitor
2 0 1

Did you figure this out I’m in same situation. Option in the steps is not on there. 

Janis07111
Visitor
2 0 1

We’re you able to figure this out? 

JusLuvCreativit
Visitor
1 0 0

Same issue here... I do not see the option to activate multi-orgin shipping in the shipping from section. Did this option move? If so, can anyone let us know where it is now? I need to set this up to enable local pickup for my store. 

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hey, @JusLuvCreativit! Welcome to the Community. 

The option to opt in to multi origin shipping should still be in the same place as provided in the Help Doc. However, if you aren’t seeing the option to activate multi origin shipping, then it’s possible that you already have it enabled. Do you see the option to create a new shipping profile when you go to ‘Settings > Shipping and delivery’ as seen below? If so, this means multi origin shipping is active. Therefore, you should then be able to set up local pickup at any of the locations you have added to your account. 

14-49-68248-23653

That being said, if it still remains unclear whether you have single origin or multi origin shipping activated on your account, then we can take a look from our end to confirm and further troubleshoot this with you, if needed. We’ll need to authenticate your account in order to do so. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request. Thanks!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

arsenalpilgrim
Tourist
17 0 3

It would be nice if the help was updated. I've wasted hours trying to find this setting. I never enabled this setting so how it got enabled is news to me. And then we have an archaic way to determine it is set. Please get the help updated. "Multi origin is set if...."

Now I'm still having a problem with local pickup not working. But I will post elsewhere.

PietroFaraone
Tourist
5 0 3

The main problem is that if I have several items in different locations, shopify adds up the shipping methods by location origin.
It means that if customer X purchases a product from site 1 with shipping costs equal to € 8.00 and the same customer X purchases a product from site 2 with shipping costs equal to € 8.00, the system adds up and comes out € 16.00 delivery.

Is there any solution?

Greetings,
Peter

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hi, @PietroFaraone! Thanks for your question.

Shipping rates adding together from different locations and/or profiles and shown in the checkout as a single rate, is known and expected behavior when using multiple shipping profiles. You can read more about it in the Help Doc Combined rates at checkoutHowever, I can understand that this may not always be desirable, and so there are two workarounds to offer non consolidated rates:

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

PietroFaraone
Tourist
5 0 3

Hi Helen @Helen ,
I'm sorry to tell you, but I don't agree with what you told me.
I have 3 stores, I use Shopify POS and I have the obligation to create different locations to be able to sell items in store (POS).

At the same time my 3 shops are 50 meters apart from each other. (Man, Woman, Child).
If an online customer wants buy a men's shoe and a women's shoe he will have to pay the shipping costs twice because they are 2 items that come from 2 different locations.

Do you think it's correct?

King Regards,
Pietro

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Thanks for following up, @PietroFaraone. I completely understand what you mean. The shipping rates being combined for products purchased from separate locations is a built-in functionality of the multi origin shipping feature, and so technically it is functioning correctly. However, I agree that for your business model, it is not a favorable way to apply shipping rates, and so I have been in touch with our developers to let them know that this functionality is not the best option for all business types. Hopefully being able to set up your own shipping rate conditions when using multi origin shipping is something they will implement in the future. (By the way, you can keep an eye on all recent updates to the platform on the Shopify Changelog).

Therefore, in the meantime, using a third party app, like Advanced Shipping Rules will allow you to set up your shipping rates however you’d like, so as to not combine rates when the inventory for the products being purchased is held at multiple locations. This way, you’ll be able to ensure your customers won’t be charged double the shipping price when their two items are coming from two separate locations that are physically close together. 

Hope this makes sense. But if I can clarify anything further, please let me know. 

PietroFaraone
Tourist
5 0 3

Thanks.
Good job and good day. @Helen 

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

You’re welcome, @PietroFaraone. All the best!

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Thanks for your feedback, @arsenalpilgrim. The Help Doc instructions for Activating multi origin shipping pertain to merchants who have been using Shopify for their online store for some time already. Meaning, if you created your account more recently, then multi origin shipping will be enabled by default, and thus why you would not see the option to enable it from your admin. How long ago did you create your Shopify account? 

That being said, I agree that this could be made more clear within the documentation, and so I have passed your feedback along to the appropriate team. Thanks for that! 

Now, in regards to your Local Pickup option not working - did you already start a new topic and receive assistance with it?

arsenalpilgrim
Tourist
17 0 3
Local PIckup problem. Everything appeared to be working as expected when in
'test mode'. When I switched off test mode I was no longer able to select
local pickup. The products (I think) where always marked as physical
products. My workaround was to create a shipping zone for California with a
rate of "free" (zero).

That doesn't feel like the correct solution but it appears to work.

Is there a difference between test mode and "production"?

Any ideas why it may have worked in test and not production? E.g., all my
products where marked "not physical"?

Thanks,
Richard
Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hi again, @arsenalpilgrim. Thanks for explaining the situation; I’m happy to help work through this with you. In order to know where to begin, could you please let me know what exactly you had in “test mode” when Local Pickup was working - Is it your payment gateway that was in test mode

Also, please let me know where Local Pickup was missing from once you turned “test mode” off - Was it not showing as an option on the shipping page in the checkout?

Thanks!

arsenalpilgrim
Tourist
17 0 3

@Helen It is difficult to remember the test environment settings. I had test setup so users had to use the "fake" credit card numbers to checkout. The site is password protected, only those on a list receive the password. When test was removed the "local pickup" option was never available. Most of the documentation implied this was due to the product being a physical product requiring shipping rates. If the physical product option was turned off a pickup option was available. In my case I thought I had physical product set in my test environment. But I can't be 100%. 

To fix my problem I had to define a shipping rate that was free.

Hope this helps. 

I don't think a physical product setting should force the need for shipping rates. They are not related. I think this is the basic problem.

I'm having a problem entering bank data but the Shopify person online is not responding.

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Thanks for that additional information, @arsenalpilgrim. It sounds like you did have your payment gateway in test mode, but this specifically shouldn’t affect whether or not you see Local Pickup in your checkout. 

However, one limitation with Local Pickup is that accelerated checkouts, with the exception of Shop Pay, are not currently supported with it. Therefore, if once test mode was removed, an accelerated checkout (Paypal, Google Pay or Apple Pay) was chosen as a payment method instead of your payment gateway, then Local Pickup would not show up as an option on the shipping page in your checkout. All the requirements for seeing Local Pickup in the checkout are found in the Help Doc Local Pickup for online orders - Checkout experience. Is it possible that this is what you were experiencing? 

Sorry to hear you’re also having trouble entering your bank data. Are you trying to set it up for a Shopify Payments account? What exactly happens when you try to? Are you receiving any error messages?

Hobbyhabits
Visitor
1 0 0

Did you  ever get this resolved. This is the same exact issue I am having. I only have one location,  but want local pickup to be a option. But it looks like it's all set up until someone goes to checkout, then it doesn't give that option to them. 

@arsenalpilgrim wrote:

It would be nice if the help was updated. I've wasted hours trying to find this setting. I never enabled this setting so how it got enabled is news to me. And then we have an archaic way to determine it is set. Please get the help updated. "Multi origin is set if...."

Now I'm still having a problem with local pickup not working. But I will post elsewhere.

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hey, @Hobbyhabits. Welcome to the Community! Thanks for reaching out.

If multi-origin shipping is set up on your store, even though you only use one location, then Local Pickup should appear at the checkout if these criteria are met:

18-20-7596-83432

Please double check and confirm that the above requirements are being met, and we’ll go from there. Thanks!

arsenalpilgrim
Tourist
17 0 3

Sorry for slow response. I missed your reply.

As followup.

None of the accelerated payments were used. Just Shopify payments.

My understanding is the physical product setting is affecting how the Pickup option is working. As it is a physical product it wants to be shipped.

I'll go back and work on another test.

I've resolved part of the banking problem. Using 2 factor authentication I was able to find the bank details, they're revealed. My challenge now is trying o trace an ACH transfer. I'll try and post elsewhere.

Thanks,

Richard

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

No worries, @arsenalpilgrim. I appreciate you replying at all! 

I see where your thought process is with products being marked as physical products. However, it is a requirement to be a physical product in order to enable Local Pickup on those products (see here). Unchecking the This is a physical product box would identify it as a digital product instead, and digital products cannot be physically handled. 

That being said, and from what you’ve already explained that you’ve experienced in regards to Local Pickup only appearing for products that are not identified as physical products, I think it would be best to have a closer look at this. We may even need to loop in our Tech team if it isn’t functioning properly in your store. 

In order to do so, we’ll need to access your account. However, at this time we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community, therefore, please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request via live chat, email or phone callback.

Let me know how it goes!

JeremyGalen
Visitor
2 0 1

I've managed to activate multi-origin shipping but I cannot figure out how to specify a 3PL based on the buyer's zipcode. I'm trying to fulfill dynamically to lower shipping costs. Please help!