Solved

Unable to edit order with local delivery

Linda_Gentle
Tourist
6 0 27

I am unable to edit orders for local delivery. I want to edit the order but it is telling me I can't edit an order with local delivery as the shipping method.

Why is that? I do not understand why I wouldn't be allowed to edit an order just because it was local delivery versus local pickup or standard shipping.

59E07C58-AEA5-4C7F-A68A-0D5A9E43F595.jpeg

Accepted Solution (1)
Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @themanbrand.

Welcome to the thread!

I understand that you're also in favour of editing orders with Local Delivery, and I'd be happy to add you to this feature request. While I can't say why or what that led to this limitation, I can confirm that this was one of the anticipated limitations with the early versions of Local Delivery and we do have plans to continue working on this feature and address known issues/limitations in future releases. As previously mentioned, please keep an eye out on the Shopify Changelog for any upcoming changes or updates to Local Delivery.

Since the feature request has been created and the next step is waiting for future releases of Local Delivery, then we'll be marking this reply as the solution for the benefit of others also looking for help with this topic. Cheers!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 97 (97)
soymarketing
Shopify Partner
11 0 16

We are also in desperate need of this solution. This is very frustrating.

BenHes89
Tourist
8 0 2

Please also add me to this request as it’s driving me mad not having the ability to edit these orders - and we *only* do local delivery as we deliver weekly on a subscription model. Incredibly frustrating and Shopify loses out as I manually correct the problem every time outside the platform to correct errors, changes or additions since refunding and/or creating a new order for a customer each time this happens incurs more fees with the add-ons we have (such as planting a tree for each order) which are setup automatically.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hey, @BenHes89.

Thanks for joining this thread!

I'd be more than happy to add you to this feature request. While we aren't able to share a timeline for feature requests, we will announce any new features or upcoming changes on the Shopify Changelog.

That being said, if you need a workaround for editing orders containing local pickup or delivery, then I'd recommend taking a look at Zapiet - Pickup and Delivery for the time being. Should you need help with a third-party app, then the developer is always available to assist you - simply get in touch with them using the contact information found on the bottom of their app's page. 

If you have any other questions, then please don't hesitate to let me know!

ELSupplies
Visitor
1 0 1

Anxiously awaiting this feature to be updated. The intention behind editing orders that are either local delivery or pickup is to apply a discount, correct quantities, or replace an item with another if the client changes their mind at the last minute. 

Having to refund the original order(s), create a new one and ask the client to pay for it is really confusing for our clients. It also incurs charges on both sides of the transaction.

A workaround that will help us is to cancel an existing local delivery order, but not refund the client, Instead, we use their paid amount to cover the new order we've created and either bill them for their balance or refund them the remainder if they've paid extra after the adjustment.

Seriously, this is not hard to implement Shopify.. 

Wesleysbutchers
Visitor
1 0 1

Same issue and we've been waiting for a solution for almost a year now.. It really doesn't seem like the most complicated change to implement and would save a considerable amount of Shopify subscribers an enormous amount of headaches and wasted time & money. 

vegetaldesign
Visitor
1 0 0

sammme ! this problem need to be fixed !!! 

PacCloudSeafood
Shopify Partner
12 0 11

Its so the 3rd party apps stay relevant. I use a program called Alpaca and it lets me schedule pickup, delivery and has a shipping option but I pay an additional $50 a month because I need to schedule pickups AND edit most orders that come in. 

I was really close to switching to square as my business is 90% in person for the time being but they do not feature editing online orders at all. I vaguely remember this a few years ago when covid hit and we switched to curbside pickup. I sell fish by the pound and when someone orders online, they want 1 pound, I can fulfill 1.25 or .90 of a pound. Synching inventory has been a nightmare and the number of third-party apps needed almost justifies a custom build at some point. 

KlaudiaZapiet
Shopify Partner
47 3 6

Hi @Linda_Gentle,

If you're looking for a way to edit orders, you might want to check out Store Pickup + Delivery,

Essentially, all orders that come through our app are shipping orders that we attach details to, changing them to pickup or local delivery. All orders can be edited just like a shipping order. Also, all our app's details can be edited. For example, if you have enabled the date and time picker on our app, all of these details can be edited!

Our app comes with a 14-day free trial so I would recommend checking it out to see if it suits your needs. If you'd like to interact with our widget, please check out our Demo Store!

I hope this helps.

Kindest regards,

Klaudia from the Zapiet team

aramael
Visitor
3 0 0

@Elias 

Please also add me to this feature request on your internal system as well.

I would also like to add additional context behind the difficulties with the restrictions implemented by the Local Delivery by Shopify . It seems that orders placed under Local Delivery are also permanently affixed to use Local Delivery, and cannot be changed to another delivery method for any reason. This causes difficulty, because if an item is not available at a given location anymore and needs to be shipped from a different location, Shopify cannot migrate the order to a Shipment to allow for common carrier tracking information to be attached. This is an issue even if there is no additional exchange of funds. 

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hey, @aramael.

Thank you for joining the thread!

I've added you to this feature request and I've included the additional context that you've provided. If Shopify moves forward with any changes or updates to the orders with local delivery, then you'll be able to find it on our changelog or updates page. 

If you're looking for something that can edit orders with local delivery for the time being, then it looks like Store Pickup + Delivery by Zapiet might be suited for you. If you need any help with this app, the app developer is always available to assist you - you can reach out to them directly through the contact information found in the Support section of their app's page.

I'd love to know if Store Pickup + Delivery is something that can help you achieve what you're looking for. Keep me posted!

jam_chan
Shopify Partner
894 23 173

I hope the issue can be fixed. It's affecting our app users as well. Shopify offered an order edit API last year but there were hard limits without any workaround. Even manual order edit is not allowed.

It's just driving the app developers crazy. 

BYOB - Build Your Own Bundles, SPO - SEO App to research keywords & edit social link preview
Coldiary
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi ! Add me to the list for this fix request as well.
Our shop take payment at local delivery so we don't see any reason why we can't update an order for a customer as they often call us on the phone for that matter.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Greetings, @roehamptonorchi@AlexWight@soymarketing@ABFIRE, & @Coldiary.

Thank you all for joining the thread and voicing these concerns!

I understand how important it is to be able to edit orders with local delivery, and this is definitely one of the anticipated limitations with the early versions of Local delivery. However, we are always looking to build and develop new features to improve the platform for our merchants, and I'd be more than happy to submit a feature request on everyone's behalf. Please keep an eye on our changelog for upcoming features and platform updates. 

Alternatively, if you need an immediate workaround for the time being, then I'd recommend taking a look at the third-party app - Store Pickup + Delivery. As mentioned by @KlaudiaZapiet, the Store Pickup + Delivery app processes all orders as shipping orders, which allows you to edit them, and attaches the pickup or delivery details to the order. From a personal experience, this app does work really well and you can take advantage of their 14-day free trial to see if this app is right for your store. 

I'd love to know if Store Pickup + Delivery can be a solution for your stores at the moment. Let me know!

PacCloudSeafood
Shopify Partner
12 0 11

I tried the app you are talking about and it malfunctioned and customers could not check out during an advertised sale. Tech support helped out 2 days later ( we are mainly a weekend business) but I never did get it working the way we needed. It was last year. I can't help but wonder about Shopify's strategy for adding features to the default product that will totally wipeout 3rd party apps like Zapiet? I think the added cost of doing something that feels like it should be included makes me constantly search for other platforms that include some basics for a more reasonable price. 

George_Newbie
Excursionist
15 0 12

Please submit this as a feature request, that would be great and highly supported.

The third party work around is not suitable for us.

Thank you for listening. Have a great day.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hey, @PacCloudSeafood  & @George_Newbie.

Thank you both for joining the thread!

Sorry to hear that the third-party app didn't work as expected or it wasn't a suitable solution for your store. Nevertheless, I appreciate the feedback and your interests in this feature request, and I'd be happy to add both of you. If Shopify moves forward with any changes to editing orders with local delivery and pickup, we'll be sure to announce them on our changelog

That being said, I'd love to hear more about your businesses! What types of products are you selling? Do you often need to edit orders with local delivery/pickup? 

petercrowe
Tourist
6 0 3

Please add my name to the list requesting this feature. It's very frustrating and I can't see why it exists. I offer a change of mind service which is often used for size changes. I want to edit the order to decrement the incoming size and add the outgoing size so my inventory is balanced and the customer order change is recorded. I'm blocked from doing that just for my local delivery customers.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hey, @petercrowe.

Thank you for joining the thread!

I understand your store offers a change of mind service for customers and that the ability to edit orders with local delivery is very important for you. I'd be happy to add you to this feature request and include the additional context that you've provided. If Shopify moves forward with any changes to editing orders with local delivery, then we'll be sure to announce this on the Shopify Changelog.

That being said, if you need something for editing orders with local delivery in the meantime, then I'd recommend taking a look at the Store Pickup & Delivery app. If you need help with this app, then the app developer is always available to assist you - you can reach out to them directly through the contact information found in the Support section of their app's page. Did you get a chance to explore this app already?

I'd love to hear more about your business! What kinds of products do you sell? Aside from this limitation (editing orders with local delivery), how are you finding the Shopify platform?

PalmsDirect
Visitor
1 0 1

Can I please have an update on this.  This is an extremely frustrating limitation as I run my entire business off of local deliveries with items too big to ship conventionally.  Are there any workarounds?

George_Newbie
Excursionist
15 0 12

Wait until June, they've not had a full year to work on it yet 😉

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hey, @PalmsDirect.

Thanks so much for joining the thread!

I understand that this feature is very important to you and while there aren't any updates available as previously mentioned, I'd be happy to add you to this feature request and share your context with our development team. If Shopify moves forward with any changes or new features, then you can find it on the Shopify Changelog.

On that note, if you are looking for a workaround, then I'd recommend taking a look at a third-party app called Zapiet ‑ Pickup + Delivery which offers an in-house solution for managing in-store pickups and local deliveries. If you need any help with a third-party app, then the app developers are always available to assist you - simply reach out to them through the contact information found at the bottom of the app pages. 

I'd love to know whether Zapiet - Pickup + Delivery can serve as a workaround for you. Please keep me posted!

George_Newbie
Excursionist
15 0 12

Thank you for the auto response.

Is Shopify offering to reduce their annual fee by $239.88 so that I may gain the basic functionality that they are unwilling to provide, in what many would consider, as a working service?

Because, no, an additional $239.88 per year is not a viable workaround.

AlexWight
Visitor
2 0 3

Hi @Elias  / Shopify team,

Have we any news on this? I really enjoy Shopify however some of these issues are costing us money, I had a customer wanting to swap items (to an item that has a better margin) which would have been easy to do if it wasn't for local delivery. In the end, she diced not to change it as it was easier that way. It seems a massive oversight by shopify. As a seller, I have more control of orders with local delivery as I am not handing the parcel over to a carrier it would make more sense if it was the other way around.

George_Newbie
Excursionist
15 0 12

Don't hold your breath; unfortunately there is financial conflict of interest in Shopify rectifying this issue and as such there is no motivation to correct the issue 😞

themanbrand
Tourist
4 0 4

Up vote to get this done. I can't believe that this is a thing. This should be basics. Adding items to local delivery before it goes out for delivery should be a basic feature of the local delivery function. May I ask why someone thought this was a good idea? What was the decision behind this?

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @themanbrand.

Welcome to the thread!

I understand that you're also in favour of editing orders with Local Delivery, and I'd be happy to add you to this feature request. While I can't say why or what that led to this limitation, I can confirm that this was one of the anticipated limitations with the early versions of Local Delivery and we do have plans to continue working on this feature and address known issues/limitations in future releases. As previously mentioned, please keep an eye out on the Shopify Changelog for any upcoming changes or updates to Local Delivery.

Since the feature request has been created and the next step is waiting for future releases of Local Delivery, then we'll be marking this reply as the solution for the benefit of others also looking for help with this topic. Cheers!

Vegetto4200
Visitor
1 0 3

This is still unresolved, and it is intentional that it is in place. If I can edit an order for shipping I should be able to edit an order for local delivery.

We own a few vape shops, our inventory is done multiple times a week due to Shopify’s incompetence on keeping inventory correctly. I know four other businesses that use Shopify and two are a one man operation. Their inventory is off constantly! Now I have customers going to our website ordering a vape in a certain flavor. That flavor showing its in stock but it’s not. So now because it’s delivery I can’t edit the variant and change the flavor? Same product, same size, same weight just the flavor is different. And flat fee for delivery.

The answer to this is to pay someone else to unlock this feature as Shopify is still dragging their heels on this? I don’t think so!

Fix your inventory tracking which again I can if I pay a third party app. And fix this editing of local deliveries. The solution isn’t to charge your existing customers more for the basic building blocks of e-commerce selling products online, hosting a website, adding inventory, tracking inventory, shipping/delivery, and taking orders. We already pay a hefty monthly premium to Shopify for these already and we still aren’t getting these basics done correctly. 

your last update is also an issue and has created another problem with local deliveries, they just disappear behind the top orders bar. I have to swipe down on my phone and click on it before it snaps back up and disappears. 

George_Newbie
Excursionist
15 0 12

100% correct.

More people need to see it for what it is... if this was on a bigger scale you could just imagine a whistleblower releasing a document as evidence that is a top down, actual corporate policy... "let's milk them for every drop".

luchov
Visitor
2 0 2

Hey Elias, I could see that apparently we're not allowed to edit orders with local delivery ONLY if the user created the order. If I make an order manually and choose local delivery, I can edit the order as I want.
Maybe it can help the team to move forward with this because the system already allows editing it, but only if the order is not created but the final user.

George_Newbie
Excursionist
15 0 12

This is software... there is no technical reason this cannot be resolved. 
(particulary in 20 months)

The problem is not the software, the problem is the management and profiteering.

mandabear
Excursionist
11 0 4

Hi Elias, 

It is now 2024 and this feature has not been updated. It is ridiculous that we still have to refund, send and invoice and have the customer purchase again. Can someone at Shopify who is working on things like pretty pictures be reassigned to fixing this? 

Amanda

luchov
Visitor
2 0 2

I fixed it replacing local delivery for Shipping. It’s no the best way and it requires a Taylor made work but it was resolved for me.

i installed  one of the free “extreme checkout” which allows you to customize which shipping options you show depending on the postal code or state or country, then I create some shippings methods depending on the prices I want to charge, and finally you can edit any order which has “shipping” as a method and not Locla delivery. 
so now I can let people choose delivery and allows me to edit the order 🙂

I hope it helps, I know it’s very frustrating when you face this problem.

mandabear
Excursionist
11 0 4

Thank you for that. It is crazy that we have to do this just to be able to edit an order. I will give it a go. I appreciate your help. 

RobFarmLink
Shopify Partner
33 2 23

It would be so incredible if Shopify could make this small fix happen and make Local Delivery useful! We want to innovate on top of Local Delivery and Pickup!

Vikrant_J
Shopify Partner
4 1 0

This is such a show stopper for me that I am thinking of moving to something else. I should be at least able to create and finalize the draft order but that is dependent on the customer whom I don't ask to plan on ordering again. I thought lets duplicate the initial order then make changes to the draft, cancel the original and post the draft order but I am sorry to say this is also not possbile.

HelplessSoul77
Excursionist
21 0 11

So, nearly 2 years later this still hasn't been fixed?? 

DaMeatMan
Visitor
2 0 0

This is just plain idiotic, you have the ability to easily enable this, this isn't new functionality as it exists for other order types. Please reenable this, it's been 3 years almost and this is impacting my business.

Thanks

jam_chan
Shopify Partner
894 23 173

I'm an app developer and I cannot suggest another app to merchants as the solution. I hope local pickup orders can be edited by API.

BYOB - Build Your Own Bundles, SPO - SEO App to research keywords & edit social link preview

Haze
Excursionist
14 0 13

Add my name to the list x2. 
More BS responses from Shopify and empty promises at the expense of their customers. Looking forward to finding an alternative to Shopify.

RobFarmLink
Shopify Partner
33 2 23

We need to be able to edit orders slated for "local delivery" or "local pickup". This is our #1 issue. I'd really love to hear why this isn't prioritized. The return on effort seems very high unless I'm missing some product or engineering challenge.

mandabear
Excursionist
11 0 4

It is nuts, I can't even think of a reason why it was set up like this in the first place. 

RobFarmLink
Shopify Partner
33 2 23

I totally agree! I wrote directly to a contact at Shopify and I'm hopeful he'll help get us all a resolution.

mandabear
Excursionist
11 0 4

Fingers crossed

RobFarmLink
Shopify Partner
33 2 23

I misspoke, you can edit Local Pickup orders, it's only Local Delivery that's the issue.

RobFarmLink
Shopify Partner
33 2 23

Hi, can everyone who still wants this feature please go to https://help.shopify.com/en and contact support (just keep asking the bot to chat with a support agent)? Ask for the feature to be able to edit Local Delivery orders and ask them to log it as a merchant frustration.

mandabear
Excursionist
11 0 4

Will do, thank you 

RobFarmLink
Shopify Partner
33 2 23

We're approaching the three-year anniversary of this post. Is there any possibility this could happen this quarter? I know there are lots of competing priorities but this is a real blocker to merchants using Local Delivery. Since Local Pickup allows editing, it would be so nice to have unified behavior. 

George_Newbie
Excursionist
15 0 12

Don't hold your breath.

Shopify have recently "depreciated" their Reviews app... so again "go third party app developer"... pay more money.

Shopify are clearly choosing PROFIT over customer retention. Such a shame.

The work around is to not offer "Local Delivery" as an option... instead differentiate by postcode... and you simply identify and pull out the local postcodes that you deliver to and do so. (I don't know if I have explained that very well?)