Fulfillment reject reason

Fulfillment reject reason

ilog-dev
Visitor
2 0 0

Hello,

I am part of a development team, and we are working on a fulfillment app for shopify. The app is fully functional but we came across a problem the documentation doesn't address.

In some cases the app rejects the fulfillment and respond with a rejection message, but our clients can't find this reasoning anywhere in their storefront or admin. We didn't find any resource about where the rejection reason should be be located, nor any indication where it might be.

Can anyone explain where should we find these messages or point me to the correct documentation?

Thanks

Replies 3 (3)

Liam
Shopify Staff
2873 312 820

Hi Ilog-Dev,

How exactly is the app sending a rejection message to Shopify? Is this as a separate API call? If so, you should be seeing this in the backend logs of your application, but there's no native way to display this message in the Shopify admin. This means unless your application explicitly provides this information to the merchant, they won't be able to see the rejection reason on their end. 

One option might be to add an admin note using metafields, that can be attached to orders, and can be used to store custom information. 

Hope this helps,

Liam | Developer Advocate @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

ilog-dev
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Liam,

We use the Reject Fulfillment Request post endpoint (as requested by the new fulfillment order workflow), and it accepts two fields for this: a message and a reason. We send the value 'other' for the reason field as it is an enum, and we send the exact reason message in the message field, what our customers expected to see in their stores.

Is there a way to see this message in the admin page, or we have to rely metafields for this use-case?

Thanks

Liam
Shopify Staff
2873 312 820

Hi Ilog-Dev,

From looking into this further it does seem that while it's not a native feature for the message to appear on the order - it should be possible to access the message and have it populated on the order, which is the behaviour of the Shopify Fulfillment Network app.

One approach might be that when the fulfillment request gets rejected, your app could capture that rejection message, and then create a metafield for that order with the rejection message. The metafield would then be visible on the admin for that specific order. 

It's also possible that you could use Shopify Flow to update an order note or order metafield based on an order fulfilment being rejected - the Fulfillment order fulfillment cancellation request rejected trigger allows actions to be taken with the Order Graphql API object.

Hope this helps!

Liam | Developer Advocate @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog