Can I use an AWS Event-Bridge as my callback_url in my FulfillmentService?

Todd_Trimakas
Shopify Partner
140 0 27

As we'll be getting all our order notifications via this callback_url now, I'd like to move to EventBridge.

However, when trying to update the callback_url to my arn, I'm getting the following error:

ShopifyAPI::Errors::HttpResponseError ({"callback_url"=>["is invalid"]})
If you report this error, please include this id: b48ee742-7127-48c6-9edb-767849427fe4

I know my arn is right, because I'm using a similar one in production, BUT for a webhook and not inside my FulfillmentService.

For some details, my arn looks like this: 

"arn:aws:events:us-east-1::event-source/aws.partner/shopify.com/XXXXX/ship-dev"

So can we use EventBridge inside a FulfillmentService?

ByteStand - Amazon to Shopify in one click
Replies 4 (4)

Michael_AG
Shopify Staff
47 8 11

Hi,

callback_url supports only regular HTTP endpoints.

You can use Amazon EventBridge as a delivery method for fulfillment order webhooks. See https://shopify.dev/docs/apps/webhooks/configuration/eventbridge

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

jjrise
Shopify Partner
10 0 0

Hi @Michael_AG, I understand that EventBridge can only be used with fulfillment order webhooks. So what is the recommended approach for developers in this scenario? We would effectively be receiving two fulfillment requests, correct? One from the normal callback_url / http endpoint and then another from the newly added webhook for `fulfillment_orders/fulfillment_request_submitted`? What is the expectation here? Is best practice to just respond to the callback_url with a 200 then work with Eventbridge only? 

Thanks for the help.

Michael_AG
Shopify Staff
47 8 11

Hi! You need to choose which method to use. Having both webhooks and callback url seems redundant. I'd advise you to implement a reconciliation cron task in addition to the one of notification methods you will choose. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

jjrise
Shopify Partner
10 0 0

Hi @Michael_AG, yes getting rid of one is ultimately the goal and problem I am referencing. I can't get rid of the event associated with us being a fulfillment service because we don't want to be removed from our merchant's fulfillment services / locations.