Solved

Migrating when we manually fulfill orders with proprietary software

TomTMKGL
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

I am taking over our Shopify integrations and I am looking for help migrating to the API. After reading the migration guide and forums I am not sure if my organization needs to make changes, but I would like clarity.

I ran into and issue while following the Migration guide. In step 3 you opt into order fulfillments for fulfillment services. The request requires a fulfillment service ID. While attempting to obtain this I realized my company might not use one (we manually fulfill our orders in our warehouses and proprietary software).

When hitting the Shopify API, I receive the following response. (I receive the same empty response on all API versions this was just an example).

GET https://[MyShop].myshopify.com/admin/api/2023-01/fulfillment_services.json?scope=all

{

"fulfillment_services": []

}

This is my current problem in a nutshell. I do not believe we use a fulfillment service, and I am unsure the next steps. While reading guides and forum, I see the CREATE fulfillment endpoint isn’t being retired so my organization may not need to migrate?

My company has several warehouses. We typically sell on retail sites like Amazon, Wayfair, Walmart, etc. Our Shopify sites are D2C sites where we sell to consumers directly. We manually import our Shopify orders and then fulfill them in our warehouses using our proprietary order software using steps below.

We use Dell Boomi for all Shopify integrations. Each D2C site has a set of Boomi processes which run on a schedule and perform the following tasks.

1. Orders – We query the Shopify API for orders with fulfillment_status = ‘unfulfilled’. These orders are sent to our proprietary order management software.
  2. Inventory – We query the Shopify API for all products with published_status = ‘published’. These products are used to lookup inventory levels in our proprietary inventory management software. These values are sent to the Shopify API using Set Inventory Level operation to update the product inventory within Shopify.
  3. Fulfillments – We query our proprietary order management software for D2C orders that have been shipped and closed and send these to the Shopify API to manually create fulfillments for these orders including the tracking information.

With these details, does it appear that we need to migrate to the new API? Since we fulfill our orders manually and do not seem to use a fulfillment service, is there anything that needs to be opted-into? Do we need to create a fulfilment service and then hook it into our boomi processes? Any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated because I feel like I am at a dead end. Thank you!

Accepted Solution (1)

RobZone
Shopify Staff
69 10 22

This is an accepted solution.

Boomi is behaving like an order management system, so you do not need to follow the procedure to opt-in to the fulfillment order API for a fulfillment service.

The API calls made to create fulfillments with tracking information need to be updated.  https://shopify.dev/docs/apps/fulfillment/order-management-apps/manage-fulfillments#create-a-fulfill...

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Reply 1 (1)

RobZone
Shopify Staff
69 10 22

This is an accepted solution.

Boomi is behaving like an order management system, so you do not need to follow the procedure to opt-in to the fulfillment order API for a fulfillment service.

The API calls made to create fulfillments with tracking information need to be updated.  https://shopify.dev/docs/apps/fulfillment/order-management-apps/manage-fulfillments#create-a-fulfill...

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.