How to get recent CommentEvent

Jamie_Sterling
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

We use the Customer Timeline to add notes - and I want to be able to pull these into a separate CRM via REST/GraphQL. 

Yes, we can access commentEvent by customer ID; but there doesn't seem to be a way to pull the recent commentEvents across all customers? Or know when a customer has new comments to pull by ID. 

Potential solutions which don't work: 

• Use customer updated_at field - but adding a comment doesn't update customer (ie changing a metafield will update this value, allowing recent changes to be queried)
  • Use Flow to send a webhook, or update a metafield (which can then be queries) - but Flow can't subscribe to customer update or timeline events
  • There doesn't seem to be a webhook available when adding a new comment

Is there a solution to this?

Reply 1 (1)

Liam
Shopify Staff
2731 292 743

Hi Jamie,

It does look like comments that staff leave on the timeline of a customer are not accessible via the customers API - so you'd need to query each individual customer by their ID as you've described. I've added a product feature request though for a new webhook that would fire when new comment is added, that would contain the content of the comment. 

Liam | Developer Advocate @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog