POS Returns or Exchanges Without a Receipt

indigo9
Visitor
2 0 0

Because Shopify POS won't allow returns or exchanges without a receipt/order number, I decided to create a new receipt to get a number. 

But first, I went in to my Shopify POS app Settings to Payment Types, and made a customer payment type called "Special Return Receipt." Save.

Now to do a return/exchange without a receipt, I first "sell" the item the customer wants to return and use Special Return Receipt as the payment and click save. 

Next, I went to that receipt and made the return or exchange. I could even put the amount on a Gift Card.

Is there anything wrong with this method? Please let me know. 

Replies 2 (2)

DaphneOlive
Excursionist
26 1 33

That is a fine system and a good workaround if you either don’t track inventory or adjust inventory every time you do it since your system won’t affect  the inventory count for the returned item. 

i am still hoping that shopify will make the adjustment to allow us to simply put a negative quantity for an item in a transaction on the app - as is the norm for software built for in person sales, because I don’t want to make my salespeople mess with inventory and we don’t always have one of the business owners on site. 

indigo9
Visitor
2 0 0

Thanks for your quick response. I forgot to mention that you do need to make an inventory adjustment. Shopify really needs to get this straightened out, especially with their enormous growth in POS. Thanks!

About Group
Grouphub Avatar

QuickBooks Desktop POS Migration Community is an invite-only group to support questions about migrating to Shopify POS, learn more about Shopify POS, and start selling on Shopify.

Group Admin
Grouphub-owner

Jacqui

Community Moderator
Grouphub-owner

Shopify

Shopify Staff
Grouphub-owner

TyW

Community Manager