Combining Shopify Theme and Hydrogen

Combining Shopify Theme and Hydrogen

eldie
Shopify Partner
4 0 18

I have a client that that needs custom store functionality and is only accessible to customers with account access (non guests), but they also want some basic marketing pages that can be designed/updated quickly. I would prefer to not have to use another CMS like Sanity for this. It seems like it would be possible to use a liquid theme for the marketing site (domain.com) and a hydrogen custom storefront for the store section by serving it on a subdomain (shop.domain.com, for instance). Is that possible? Products can be shared across sales channels, right? I would just need to make sure that any product that is displayed in the liquid theme properly links/redirects users to the hydrogen site. Right? 

Replies 3 (3)

stardust95
Visitor
1 0 0

This is not possible I believe because session login can't be shared between different domains. If your clients only need to edit/update marketing pages quickly, then the best route is to just use a CMS.

Sanity is a good choice, I'm also trying out Weaverse atm which is also pretty good. It's a CMS/visual editor, more native to Shopify Hydrogen, so your client can just jump in and edit their marketing pages like in Online Store 2.0. 

eldie
Shopify Partner
4 0 18

I wouldn’t need to share any sessions. The client would log in to Shopify to manage product data and to update the marketing site using the theme editor. The hydrogen site would just be a custom interface from which the user’s customers can shop and buy products. Shop app is one example of how this works already; it’s an external interface from which customers can purchase products. I would simply be adding a third interface—a hydrogen custom storefront. I’m not interested in allowing the client to edit the hydrogen site using a CMS, so they would only ever be logging in to Shopify to manage specific content.

I guess one challenge from a coding/UX standpoint would be ensuring that the design systems are centralized and remain in sync, if that’s important. The Shop app doesn’t look anything like merchants’s sites, so, outside of specific branding guidelines, the custom hydrogen storefront need not try to mimic the look of the marketing site. 

margaretj
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

It's possible to have two separate channels to manage marketing vs. store, but this should also be achievable on just one channel and would remove the complications of all the redirects. I’ve talked to several brands who were on a visual headless CMS like Sanity or Contentful. It’s a fantastic tool if you’re looking to push content to multiple different channels - ex. your website, your in-store kiosk and a mobile app - but for most growing brands it’s more tech than they need, and it makes it near impossible for the client to manage their own site.I’d definitely recommend giving Pack Digital’s platform a look because they have a CMS that’s built specifically for Shopify Hydrogen storefronts and includes integration with Metaobjects. All the product data still lives in Shopify and is editable there. Plus, it has a built-in visual customizer that’s designed to work just like editing a theme. Tends to be a great fit for brands who want to be able to make changes to their site, but also want more flexibility.