Can I disable checkout based upon IP address?

adventmedia
Pathfinder
128 0 31

We only accept online orders from USA customers. We want International customers to Request A Quote using the "Quick Quote" app. But I wonder if there's a way to hide the Checkout and Payment buttons in the Cart if someone with an International IP is active in the cart.

Any thoughts or experience with this?

Reply 1 (1)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @adventmedia,

Great question. There are a couple of different ways you can approach this. Let's take a look into them below:

1.) You could manipulate the shipping settings so it's not possible for someone in the US to complete the checkout. I had a similar problem with my own store recently and set the shipping parameters to over 1,000 lbs for countries outside of the US which didn't allow them to checkout. This would be cost free but wouldn't involve a workaround with the IP. 

2.) The other option is to use an app from the Shopify App store, the Locksmith app comes to mind for me. Locksmith allows you to lock and block off certain aspects of your store to customers based on certain criteria such as IP address. 

15-57-551-65455

Do you feel like any of the two options above can do what you're looking for? 

Regarding the request a quote feature, This would require an app as it would be a customised feature. You can see a full list of the request a quote apps in the app store here

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.